How to tackle 'other' storage

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the Huawei W1, its a 4gb device but after just one week ive gone down to 86mb. Even though I have an sd card installed. Is there any way to wipe this stupid other storage. Ive tried two apps on the market place both work for all other phone but do nothing for me. Any hacks through windows to get phone system files to show up where i can erase all these temp files!!

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
This is a problem they need to fix. I've been on support with Nokia about it. I have 3.7 GB of apps and 7.8 GB "other" and they are telling me I should uninstall some apps, as if I have too many. I took my emails down to "two weeks" worth, I deleted temporary IE files, I uninstalled a bunch of apps. I've run Storage Shrink and another storage cleaner. I shut off auto SkyDrive upload for photos (which sucks, because I like that feature). I scoured my apps to see which might be storing info, and I'm not sure. Maybe some game save data? I don't know. But it's silly that I have to delete apps to accommodate this "other" that I don't even know what it is.

What's even more annoying is that Windows Support pawned me off to Nokia. This is Windows software, why is Nokia supposed to fix it? What about non-Nokia phones?

This is an annoying issue.

Last edited:

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've bit the bullet and reset my phone and will try what dakranii suggested. Its not a Nokia issue its a Windows Phone issue, its a massive problem on the low end devices, if they allowed the SD card to do more storage would be a difference.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I've bit the bullet and reset my phone and will try what dakranii suggested. Its not a Nokia issue its a Windows Phone issue, its a massive problem on the low end devices, if they allowed the SD card to do more storage would be a difference.

I'm considering doing a reset as well. But I might pick up the 928 when Verizon finally announces and sells it, so I'll wait a few more weeks to see. No sense resetting it all if I'm getting a new phone soon.

avsef

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I had a bad experience with this app and deleted it. Based on the reviews, I wasn't alone. Still waiting on MSFT to fix this problems.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

This is definitely a Windows Phone aka Microsoft issue! Every manufacturer had to deal with this issue in their customer support arenas. Its sad that Microsoft pretends as though this is a Nokia or Samsung or HTC issue when its the same issue across all devices in the OS! From what I know, there are only temporary fixes from apps, and Nokia has a beta testing for Lumia owners to fix this issue. The truth is that only Microsoft knows why this occurs, and It should have been fixed a long time ago in an update. Hopefully it will be remedied in the next update. A big thanks to the devs and manufacturers that have tried to help thus far!

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I have the lumia 920, so 2 days ago I still had about 10gb of space left but since yesterday my other storage suddenly grew from 2 to 12 gb's!
It's ridiculous! The only thing I did yesterday was I downloaded Face Swap and I swapped like a 100 faces because it was really funny, I deleted Face Swap in hopes of fixing the issue but it didn't work :'( wtf MS!?! How can you just let this be!? I love my wp but this is really frustrating...
EDIT:I deleted some stuff but the other storage just keeps growing, its up to 13 gb now :(

Last edited:

berkay123

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Download a Application called "Shrink Storage" it reduces the other folder by first filling your phone memory up and then cleaning out the other folder! released 300mb for my ascend w1

Stephan Kilgore

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. Huawei, having done everything this guy has done- deleted Skydrive, hard reset, 32gb SD, and within 3 weeks of carefully dancing with this dreaded Huawei wp8, 'other' is eating up 2gb of my 3.69 GBIM. Hard reset also leads to high data usage unless you restore from WiFi!!! My service provider agreed to trade it for a Droid phone. After sending my phone and waiting..... They returned the same model Huawei wp8. Tired of the hard reset life. Help!

Claire Murphy

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I have the Huawei Ascend W1 windows phone, at first the phone memory was fine as I had an Sd Card alos, however, even after deleting apps from phone memory as well as messages photos videos etc, I still have no free memory on my phone. Does anyone know what causes this, Is a real hassle as I have no apps whatsoever, My SD card has free memory and I only have a few photos on my phone, I cant even get music or anythging. It says, thatI have used 3.69GB of phone memory but I cant see how this is possible as there is literally nothing on my phone!!!

Please help!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6