What is Microsoft doing wrong on the media advertising standpoint?

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
We all know Windows Phone is a really good OS with a lot to offer. However, although it is slowly gaining ground, it is not as successful as most people expected.

That being said, there are no signs of Microsoft abandoning the OS, but they obviously need to change something about the way consumers view their phones. How do you think this can be achieved? What has Microsoft done wrong in terms of advertising and marketing that gave them the third spot in the OS race?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they are in 3rd place because of advertising. They were late to the party. iOS and Android had a 2+ year head start on Windows Phone. (I'm not counting Windows Mobile, since that was completely discarded.)

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
they do advertise less than Apple and Samsung though, they are behind so need to make the potential client base more aware of what's out there

Shimoner01

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
As a matter of general perception, I feel like the Microsoft brand is not what it used to be, particularly when it comes to the Windows name. People often look at their Windows products and think of them as outdated, and certainly not as cool - usually without even trying them. I get that when I tell people I use a Windows Phone. Its unfortunate, and it would seem that they are trying to change that by taking queues from the advertising of Apple and Samsung, but that might be easier said than done. While I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons, i.e. being way late to the party, as mentioned here already, I can't help but think that this isn't also a contributing factor.

Divair

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
It's not a matter of advertising, it's a matter of being late to the party. Android and iOS have been around for a while, and most people naturally want to avoid change once they're comfortable. We have, however, seen WP gain huge traction in some countries. Even in the countries that it is growing slowly in (like the US), it's still bloody fast for a new competitor.

Give it time.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I think the problem is with the image that Microsoft has in the mobile space, many people remember Windows Mobile and immediately dismiss Windows Phone because they think it's just Windows Mobile with a different name. Not only that but the public seem to have a problem with the name, I've seen it referred to as Windows 8 Phone, Windows Mobile 8 and even Windows 8 Mobile.

Those two things don't help, if Microsoft can get the name Windows Phone 8 into the heads of consumers, show off how fast the OS is in adverts I think that will change the way Microsoft is perceived of in the mobile space.

daredevildan

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think it's a better OS than the others, they have a great ecosystem between PCs, tablets, Xbox and phones but it really comes down to the apps and the perception that Windows Phone isn't on equal ground as the other OS's. Stop telling me that we don't need this app or that app because we have a good substitute. Lincoln Logs are not the same as Legos and everyone knows it.

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Lack of awareness.
Average Joe knows of two "Phones"; iPhone and Android. They stick with what they know, and what they've seen their friends and colleagues using. I guarantee you most people buying iPhones aren't doing so for the merits of the platform. It's word of mouth and brand recognition. iOS and Droid have been around for so long, it's embedded in people's consciousnesses. Windows Phone is a relatively new kid on the block and so far and MS have been pretty quiet about their OS.

They need to start aggressively promoting it, showing off what it can do and demonstrating how fresh and exciting it is compared to the other two creaking and outdated platforms. Every person that's encountered my phone has done so with surprise and sometimes even awe. 9 times out of 10, they've never seen the phone and/or knew it existed.

For the people who have heard of it, they apply false adjectives to it, that they've heard thrown around by the misinformed; "buggy", "slow" and "old", none of which are even remotely true. They also believe it suffers from a lack of apps, which is partly true, but that's going to drastically change over time.

If MS can launch a 500 million dollar advertising campaign for a ****ty product that doesn't work (Kinect), and have it become the fastest selling consumer device ever, then they can definitely do the same for WP8 on a smaller budget, aa product that would actually be worthy of success. Sure, the competition is far more fierce, but the consumer base is fickle. They change with the wind. Once a certain fraction of the sellable market has switched to WP, a larger portion will follow, because it's "hot".

It'll take an awful lot to unseat Apple, but it's not impossible, especially if Apple continue down the route they're going. I'm interested in seeing what iOS7 is going to be comprised of, though I don't think it'll impress many, because the iPhone has had it's day, unless a serious shakeup happens.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
It's not a matter of advertising, it's a matter of being late to the party. Android and iOS have been around for a while, and most people naturally want to avoid change once they're comfortable. We have, however, seen WP gain huge traction in some countries. Even in the countries that it is growing slowly in (like the US), it's still bloody fast for a new competitor.

Give it time.

Isn't it, though? Samsung has gotten so far since their original Galaxy S series, which although it was a top seller, didn't see huge sales numbers. Then the S2 and S3 came along. Samsung learned from their mistake and really advertised those phones. The sales of them show that. And now they dominate Android.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I get they are late. But so was MS with the Xbox in comparison to Nintendo and Sony in the video game arena and it is now a household name.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I think deserting their user base time and time again... is probably giving them a bad rep.

Wouldn't that only affect former users? What about the consumer base that didn't buy into smartphones until Blackberry had it's time in the sun, or when iPhone took over?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't that only affect former users? What about the consumer base that didn't buy into smartphones until Blackberry had it's time in the sun, or when iPhone took over?
That could very well be the case. I had zero interest in Windows Mobile and never even bothered to play with any Windows Mobile devices in a store. I was all about Symbian/BlackBerry at that time.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
A little off topic, but consider the very stupid Surface Pro ad. Instead of Microsoft to create awareness about why the Surface Pro is actually a great product, they have a 30-second ad of people dancing around and over a table.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
A little off topic, but consider the very stupid Surface Pro ad. Instead of Microsoft to create awareness about why the Surface Pro is actually a great product, they have a 30-second ad of people dancing around and over a table.

That is a strategy to attract potential consumers. It is entertaining and catchy. It sticks in people's minds.

A better example of what MS needs to do in their "Don't Fight. Switch." commercial. I love that commercial hahaha so funny, and it establishes a place for Windows Phone and its role in society to change it.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
That could very well be the case. I had zero interest in Windows Mobile and never even bothered to play with any Windows Mobile devices in a store. I was all about Symbian/BlackBerry at that time.

To be honest, I had no clue Windows Mobile ever existed until I got a Windows Phone and started frequenting WP related sites and articles. And I can't find any non techie I know who knew it existed either.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I had no clue Windows Mobile ever existed until I got a Windows Phone and started frequenting WP related sites and articles. And I can't find any non techie I know who knew it existed either.
I knew it existed because I remember the Samsung Jack commercials with Ozzy Osbourne.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I do remember that commercial.

This topic came up during a discussion months ago on WPC. I was told WinMo was more popular with the business and IT crowd.
I believe that was the case. I wasn't a business user at the time, and I did believe that Windows Mobile was for business users.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs