GDR2 - What Can We Reasonably Expect?

MRKV

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I know this is going off topic just a hair but, Why does people THINK they need a "Notification Center". Live tiles are to replace this, so email, texts, etc are available on a tile for you to see with out having to go into a menu. I DO see a need for a quick place to turn on hardware features (Wi-Fi, NFC, Bluetooth, etc)

A notification center is something you NEED for Android or iOS but, not WP8, I don't see the need and don't think you will ever see a Notification System.

If we get anything out of the update, I want a FM radio that Microsoft has said it was coming... Baseball games are free over FM but, to stream them it costs $40 a year from MLB. That is just wrong.. I see this as a major step backwards from WP7
Live tiles are nice but they have limitations. They are not a replacement for a true notification center. I can't tell you how many times I've had my phone in another room and hear the notification alert go off. By the time I go to check it the toast has disappeared. Now I'm left wondering what the heck just happened. Same situation happened just the other day so I have to search through the tiles on my start screen to try and figure out what it was. Of course that's only helpful if I happen to have the tile pinned to my start screen. I keep mine fairly clean and only my commonly used apps are pinned. Not to mention the inconsistency with live tiles updates across apps. Anyway, 10 minutes later I figured out it was a message sent to me on Kik. That's why a notification center is needed

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I know this is going off topic just a hair but, Why does people THINK they need a "Notification Center". Live tiles are to replace this, so email, texts, etc are available on a tile for you to see with out having to go into a menu. I DO see a need for a quick place to turn on hardware features (Wi-Fi, NFC, Bluetooth, etc)

A notification center is something you NEED for Android or iOS but, not WP8, I don't see the need and don't think you will ever see a Notification System.

If we get anything out of the update, I want a FM radio that Microsoft has said it was coming... Baseball games are free over FM but, to stream them it costs $40 a year from MLB. That is just wrong.. I see this as a major step backwards from WP7
Live Tiles can not replace a notification center. If the phone is in your pocket and your working or whatever and cant access the phone in your pocket u have no idea what time the app went off and exactly which app went off. So you'll have to look at all the live tiles on your home screen and play the guessing game without ever having any way at all to know which app went off that sucks. Then u have the issue with a lot of the live tiles don't work properly so the app you're looking for the live tile may not have ever shown any indicator (facebook, Skype, wechat, kik, etc) so what do u do with the apps who's live tiles don't work properly? this is why a notification center is a must

MarcXW

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Two things I am really hoping for:
-Separate volume controls (How this hasn't already been implemented baffles me. When I told my brother he didn't believe me and thought I couldn't find the separate volume controls.)
-Fix Xbox Music (Especially the lag, I once passed my phone to my friend who was looking for music, and her first reaction was "This is a nightmare to use". The delay between tapping and the song actually playing is outrageous).

Other nice things would be:
-Weekly view in calendar.
-Lock screen orientation and better camera software (though rumors suggest Nokia might be working on this on their own, but for those HTC and Samsung owners out there, it could still be nice)

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
What I dont get is use of the calendar tile... Are you kidding me here MS? You have this great thing of displaying information and you stick 1 upcoming appointment on it, really? How about having 4 upcoming appointments on one side and number of open to-dos on the other? How hard something like this could be?

Edit: I just didnt bring up many obvious things like editing forwarded email, closing running apps directly from running apps list and many others, but Im sure others will bring these up here...

I personally would like to also see little more function on the integrated Facebook (offline messages, groups etc), because we still need the app now and does it really make sense to have this stuff in 2 places?

SanjitVignesh

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I would really like a pinch to zoom gesture on a tile to expand it to almost full screen, but not open as an app. That way, things like email, facebook updates, appointments, recently played music, recently played games can be easily accessed.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Maybe 2015 Q4. Seriously I'm getting very pissed off by Microsoft with their cavalier attitude on Windows Phone and am seriously thinking of switching to iOS/Android in a few months.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Fix the Other storage BS.
Orientation Lock.
Revamped Calendar without all that waste space on the tile.
Xbox Music.
And radio. Embarrassing.

Don't worry I'm sure all resources are being poured into Kids Corner & Rooms. Those 2 features are obviously the FUTURE of WP.

Actually if you look at the "Feature Suggestions" page the top items are all things we really want. However there is a 10% idiotic insane WP ****** segment that keeps saying "we don't need notification center or universal search" and Microsoft chooses to listen to that 5%.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Don't worry I'm sure all resources are being poured into Kids Corner & Rooms. Those 2 features are obviously the FUTURE of WP.

Actually if you look at the "Feature Suggestions" page the top items are all things we really want. However there is a 10% idiotic insane WP ****** segment that keeps saying "we don't need notification center or universal search" and Microsoft chooses to listen to that 5%.

Thank god that MS does listen to the 5%, which includes me. If they listened to the majority, all we would have is an Android based lag-fest, with a Notification Centre.

I'll say it slowly... LIVE TILES ARE THE NOTIFICATION CENTRE!!!!

Complaints about apps with no Live Tiles are down to the app developers.
I'm not a 'fan boy' either, just someone who knows how to use their phone properly!!! Never missed a 'notification' yet. It amazes me that so many users are too lazy to check the Live Tiles that are available. It takes one finger swipe up from the Lockscreen. Why is that so hard????

Want a Notification Centre?? Get an Android phone....

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thank god that MS does listen to the 5%, which includes me. If they listened to the majority, all we would have is an Android based lag-fest, with a Notification Centre.

Complaints about apps with no Live Tiles are down to the app developers.
I'm not a 'fan boy' either, just someone who knows how to use their phone properly!!! Never missed a 'notification' yet. It amazes me that so many users are too lazy to check the Live Tiles that are available. It takes one finger swipe up from the Lockscreen. Why is that so hard????

Ok I get it, you are one of the 100 insane WP fanboys that want the platform to die.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Ok I get it, you are one of the 100 insane WP fanboys that want the platform to die.

It won't die unless you force it to. It's not Android, but WP users seem determined to make it so.

I develop for Android, so not really an insane ****** as you said. I just want a phone that does it differently. After 30+ years of software development, I have seen software homogenised to the lowest common denominator.
Now and again there are flashes of brilliance where companies think and develop outside the norm. This is what I want, and why I chose WP.....

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It won't die unless you force it to. It's not Android, but WP users seem determined to make it so.

I develop for Android, so not really an insane ****** as you said. I just want a phone that does it differently. After 30+ years of software development, I have seen software homogenised to the lowest common denominator.
Now and again there are flashes of brilliance where companies think and develop outside the norm. This is what I want, and why I chose WP.....

Guess what - Apple & Google won the smartphone UI war. People actively do NOT want Windows Phone UI. Might as well make it less Metro-y and more Apple-like.

MRKV

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I really don't understand this line of thinking. Android happens to be a very refined OS at this point, same as iOS. Taking features from both of them and adding them to WP doesn't make it an "Android based lag-fest". A notification center is a very useful tool not to mention a popular user request. Another is separate volume controls for Media/Ringer/etc. This also happens to already be on Android so do you say the same thing there?

"Want volume controls? Get an Android phone."
"Want orientation lock? Get an Android phone."
"Want XXX option? Get an Android phone."

That just reeks of "You get what we give you and you'll like it!". The point you are driving home with that thinking is...get an Android phone. That doesn't help improve WP or its market share.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Live tiles are more like a form of Android home screen widget. I think that Microsoft's implementation is better thought out and better implemented, but that's something that Android users would probably dispute.

In addition to tiles to display information, Windows Phone supports popup "toast notifications," which disappear in several seconds if not opened or dismissed. What Windows Phone lacks is a way to see popup toast notifications that were missed. Since the OS does not support a "toast log," it's up to every app developer to build such functionality into their apps. Effectively, we have inefficiency (duplication of effort) or a feature gap.

Whether a "toast log" is what users are asking for in a "notification center" or not isn't the point. What is the point is that live tiles are neither a replacement for a toast log nor for a notification center. Live Tiles are different and good, but having one good thing doesn't mean that it's every thing. Don't deny a useful function just to spite some lost Android users who found themselves here.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I really don't understand this line of thinking. Android happens to be a very refined OS at this point, same as iOS. Taking features from both of them and adding them to WP doesn't make it an "Android based lag-fest". A notification center is a very useful tool not to mention a popular user request. Another is separate volume controls for Media/Ringer/etc. This also happens to already be on Android so do you say the same thing there?

That just reeks of "You get what we give you and you'll like it!". The point you are driving home with that thinking is...get an Android phone. That doesn't help improve WP or its market share.

It reeks of insane WP fanboys being given free reign at Microsoft. Joe Belfiore has clearly indicated he sides with the 10% of insane idiotic fanboys.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Guess what - Apple & Google won the smartphone UI war. People actively do NOT want Windows Phone UI. Might as well make it less Metro-y and more Apple-like.

How do you know this?

If you make it like iOS or Android, then why would anyone buy a Windows Phone? If you make it more like Android it'd be a clone of a clone.

So Microsoft should be forever content with 2% marketshare instead of going for 20%. Gotcha.

Way to answer his question. His question was asking about what people who don't like Apple's and Google's UI do and you come back with a statement about marketshare.

Thank you. I also don't understand why people have to deal with extremes. Is there not such a thing as a middle ground?

I'd like Microsoft to implement a notification center, but I want them to do it right. Not throw in something that looks like it came straight from iOS or Android and was an afterthought.

jasongw

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm always a little amazed at how short-sighted some people are. The claim "Apple and Android already won the smartphone UI war" is idiotic on several levels. First, because there is *no such thing* as a smartphone UI war.

Second, Apple and Android *both* use derivative, rehashed permutations of the same tired Xerox Parc UI paradigms we've been using since the 1970's. Do you seriously believe there is nowhere to go in UI design than with endless rehashes and minor adjustments to that system?

Third, It is an historical fact that 90% of significant changes that ever occur require time to take effect. When the MOUSE debuted, reviewers hated it and said it would die, unused because the keyboard was better for productivity. When Windows 95 debuted with the Start Menu, people *hated* the Start menu and called it every conceivable terrible named, and swore it was the death knell of Microsoft. When Windows XP arrived, it was welcomed by slow sales and poor reviews, with a lot of tooth-gnashing by people who hated having to learn the vastly different underpinnings of Windows NT vs 9x. When Microsoft launched the Xbox, people called it an "also-ran" and claimed MS could never find success in that space. I think we all know how those things turned out.

The Modern UI only came into major usage 2 and a half years ago with Windows Phone 7, which was a niche product. It's now found in a major OS that's sold more than 100 million licenses thanks to Windows 8, and WP8 is now finding itself growing by large numbers and will likely take hold of 10% of the smartphone market *this year*. The effect is called "Product synergy," and as Windows 8 permeates the market, WP8 will itself become more "familiar" and something customers reach for.

The long and short of it is this: It would be a DISASTER for Microsoft to abandon the Modern UI, and a tragedy for consumers if they did. More importantly, anyone who's followed Microsoft for the last 20+ years knows very well that they *do not play* the short-term "Me, too! Me too!" game. They are masters of the long game, and they know what they are doing.

Yes, there are many areas that need to be improved in the modern UI, especially on the phone. A notification center isn't one of those things, really (as some have already pointed out, the Start Screen IS a notification center for Live Tile enabled apps), but its current implementation does have a problem: If users don't pin their apps (and many don't, as they prefer a clean screen), they won't see their notifications. I see two ways to address this problem: 1. Add a Live Tile that aggregates all notifications and scrolls through them. Make it an app that you can tap to get a full list, complete with shortcuts to the app associated with the alert. 2. Change the behavior of the App List such that if any apps have pending notifications, they automatically are filtered to the top of the app list, in order of most recent notification activity, until the user addresses the notification. Both these ideas would work, and both honor and maintain the Modern UI design language, which is absolutely *imperative*.

I own an Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy S2 10.1) and I moved to WP from iPhone, and I'll tell you unequivocally: The LAST thing Windows Phone needs is to become more like Android or iOS. ESPECIALLY Android, which is a bug-riddled turd of an OS.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Live tiles are nice but they have limitations. They are not a replacement for a true notification center. I can't tell you how many times I've had my phone in another room and hear the notification alert go off. By the time I go to check it the toast has disappeared. Now I'm left wondering what the heck just happened. Same situation happened just the other day so I have to search through the tiles on my start screen to try and figure out what it was. Of course that's only helpful if I happen to have the tile pinned to my start screen. I keep mine fairly clean and only my commonly used apps are pinned. Not to mention the inconsistency with live tiles updates across apps. Anyway, 10 minutes later I figured out it was a message sent to me on Kik. That's why a notification center is needed

ok, I see your point but, a whole screen just to see what was the last notification that went off ? How about a slide down from the top to show the last notification ? Or even the last 3 notifications ? This is something I could see Microsoft adding but, a whole "Android" type notification screen, I don't see it ever happening with the design aspects of Windows Phone. This is what live tiles were designed to do.

Only thing out of that is like I said, A screen to turn on Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC, etc, I could see and WOULD use.

Sorry to say, this is Windows Phone, not android, the dream of a full screen Notification Center, I doubt you would ever see. but, from both of your posts you seem to have the same issue, and come to think about, I do too, sometimes...it's rare but, it does happen. I would PREFER some type of quick pull down (like a side down from the top) to show your last notification and side down towards the bottom of the screen, show the last 3-5 of them....

That COULD happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans