Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
    Developer

I know this has been brought up before, but I'd like to start a real discussion about what we can expect to see in GDR2. Obviously, things like a notification center and other dramatic changes won't be part of it. But there are small features and bug fixes that could perhaps be implemented.

Features:

-Orientation lock. I'm not sure where they would stick the toggle for this, but I hope such a tiny feature could come sooner than later.

-"Reader" function in Internet Explorer to convert non-mobile sites into a phone-friendly format. iOS has had this for some time now, and the HTC One I was checking out the other day has it too. It's enormously useful for sites that need it.

-Music controls via voice. This may be just me, but it could be nice.

-Do Not Disturb setting. Doesn't bother me personally, but many people have requested this.

-Calendar search

-Weekly view for Calendar

Bug Fixes:

-Music starts to play sometimes after initiating a command via Bluetooth.

Again, I'm trying to keep this list as realistic as possible. It just seems funny to me that there has been virtually no talk of this coming update.

"Mark all as read" for the mails would be nice and realistic
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Tomanband View Post
    "Mark all as read" for the mails would be nice and realistic
    That would be nice. I would akso really like a better way to access folders. They don't show up on the main tile count, and are always several taps away.

Orientation Lock is a must. I can't even begin on how annoying WP is when laying down...
    Reader in IE would be nice
    Developer

Yep. It boggles my mind that this wasn't implemented from the beginning.

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    A fully featured hardware search button would be my biggest whish, so one can search the (whole) phone's content.

Also some profile settings for connections and sounds would be awesome.
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express
    »Lass dir deinen Entwurf nicht kaputt machen.«
    »Do not let them depreciate your design.«
    — Manfred Kröplien

Quote Originally Posted by James8561 View Post
    Orientation Lock is a must. I can't even begin on how annoying WP is when laying down...
    Reader in IE would be nice
    Basic (and I mean BASIC) things like this — such as orientation lock or volume profiles —, which WP lacks, are definetly a MUST. Damn, they shouldn't even have released the OS without it.

Details — important ones — like these are really annoying, and they can grow on some people over time and make 'em leave the platform.

Separate volume for ringtone and other applications.
    "Other" storage fix so I can turn on skydrive backup

App to SD -- most likely not gonna happen, but I just wish it might since I own the 8s
    Banned

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chen Vivi View Post
    Separate volume for ringtone and other applications.
    "Other" storage fix so I can turn on skydrive backup

App to SD -- most likely not gonna happen, but I just wish it might since I own the 8s
    "To offer the ultimate mobile experience to our users, Samsung provides [a] microSD slot on Galaxy S4 for extension of memory," the company says. That microSD slot supports cards up to 64GB in size, so even owners of the 16GB hardware can theoretically wind up with more capacity than any version of Apple's iPhone or the HTC One can provide. Unfortunately you can't install Android applications to external storage on the GS4, so the extra room is only good for your documents and media files. Earlier this year Microsoft faced a barrage of criticism from shoppers who found the out-of-box storage of its Surface tablets equally lacking."
    Other phones heading the same way with memory, so we won't see changes and it made me kinda sad cause i own 8S aswell.

But we can hope for bug fixes and skype contacts appear in your chat hub instead of windows live friends.

My wishlist.:
    "Tap - Tap" on screen to wake up phone.
    Silence phone when turning screen downwards.
    Some kind of indication on the phone when the screen is black, on unanswared call's. Maybe blinking Windows logo on the phone.
    Possible to group tiles on screen.

Uha, forgot to mention a very importenting thing.:
    Enable the FM radio reciver & transmitter function on Lumia 920 if it is possible. It would really be a good thing.

A very happy Nokia Lumia 920 owner. :-)
    Last edited by rockstarzzz; 05-04-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by johnsuni View Post
    Uha, forgot to mention a very importenting thing.:
    Enable the FM radio reciver & transmitter function on Lumia 920 if it is possible. It would really be a good thing.

A very happy Nokia Lumia 920 owner. :-)
    Me too :D
    Thanked by:
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    Surprised that you didn't closed this thread yet.
    Most of usefull threads you visit gets closed...
    Thanked by:

why wouldn't notification center be on gdr2? they said they were working on it in 8 but ran out of time and it would come in a future update, so it should be finished by now for atleast gdr2 wtf

Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deadwrong03 View Post
    why wouldn't notification center be on gdr2? they said they were working on it in 8 but ran out of time and it would come in a future update, so it should be finished by now for atleast gdr2 wtf
    Maybe they're saving it for a bigger update, like Blue. Isn't GDR2 a minor update? With an important feature like notification center, you would think they'd want to announce it with a bunch of other major features at a Microsoft event.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013
    Banned

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinestars1z View Post
    Maybe they're saving it for a bigger update, like Blue. Isn't GDR2 a minor update? With an important feature like notification center, you would think they'd want to announce it with a bunch of other major features at a Microsoft event.
    GDR updates are huge, little minor updates don't even get announced, we just get them( mostly quick fixes or firmware ).
    Mahdi Ghiasi likes this.

Delaying Notification Center to be a highlight for Blue is a bad idea. That's like almost a year from now. Features like these should have been baked from the start tbh.

Global Posts
    1,971 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deadwrong03 View Post
    I know this is going off topic just a hair but, Why does people THINK they need a "Notification Center". Live tiles are to replace this, so email, texts, etc are available on a tile for you to see with out having to go into a menu. I DO see a need for a quick place to turn on hardware features (Wi-Fi, NFC, Bluetooth, etc)

A notification center is something you NEED for Android or iOS but, not WP8, I don't see the need and don't think you will ever see a Notification System.

If we get anything out of the update, I want a FM radio that Microsoft has said it was coming... Baseball games are free over FM but, to stream them it costs $40 a year from MLB. That is just wrong.. I see this as a major step backwards from WP7
    XV6700(Apache)>XV6800->HTC Touch Pro 2(XV6875) ->HTC Trophy ->VZW HTC 8X ->Nokia Lumia 928 -> Nokia Lumia ICON (929)

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by iamakii View Post
    Delaying Notification Center to be a highlight for Blue is a bad idea. That's like almost a year from now. Features like these should have been baked from the start tbh.
    Yeah. When we first heard a few months back that the notification center was originally intended for the initial release of WP8, I thought, ok well it could be something they release in a couple months. But with WP8 being 6 months old now, with no significant updates, I'm pretty sure that "big" features like this that fundamentally change or add to the OS... they'll almost certainly be saved for Blue. Which is so unfortunate. Windows Phone needs to catch up and start innovating, but at this rate they're always a step behind.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Have they fixed the problem of being able to send text to only one number of any contact from the people hub? And not being able to search within messages? Can we now search for songs already in the device in the music hub? Or make playlists while having songs already playing in the device i.e., not from now playing list; or save webpages in IE;Or the auto-disappearance of status indicators at the top of the screen? If not it would be a good time to add these few small features now.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
    I know this is going off topic just a hair but, Why does people THINK they need a "Notification Center". Live tiles are to replace this, so email, texts, etc are available on a tile for you to see with out having to go into a menu. I DO see a need for a quick place to turn on hardware features (Wi-Fi, NFC, Bluetooth, etc)

A notification center is something you NEED for Android or iOS but, not WP8, I don't see the need and don't think you will ever see a Notification System.

If we get anything out of the update, I want a FM radio that Microsoft has said it was coming... Baseball games are free over FM but, to stream them it costs $40 a year from MLB. That is just wrong.. I see this as a major step backwards from WP7
    Live tiles are nice but they have limitations. They are not a replacement for a true notification center. I can't tell you how many times I've had my phone in another room and hear the notification alert go off. By the time I go to check it the toast has disappeared. Now I'm left wondering what the heck just happened. Same situation happened just the other day so I have to search through the tiles on my start screen to try and figure out what it was. Of course that's only helpful if I happen to have the tile pinned to my start screen. I keep mine fairly clean and only my commonly used apps are pinned. Not to mention the inconsistency with live tiles updates across apps. Anyway, 10 minutes later I figured out it was a message sent to me on Kik. That's why a notification center is needed
    Thanked by:
    Onager1286 and morpheus1982 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post

Live Tiles can not replace a notification center. If the phone is in your pocket and your working or whatever and cant access the phone in your pocket u have no idea what time the app went off and exactly which app went off. So you'll have to look at all the live tiles on your home screen and play the guessing game without ever having any way at all to know which app went off that sucks. Then u have the issue with a lot of the live tiles don't work properly so the app you're looking for the live tile may not have ever shown any indicator (facebook, Skype, wechat, kik, etc) so what do u do with the apps who's live tiles don't work properly? this is why a notification center is a must

Two things I am really hoping for:
    -Separate volume controls (How this hasn't already been implemented baffles me. When I told my brother he didn't believe me and thought I couldn't find the separate volume controls.)
    -Fix Xbox Music (Especially the lag, I once passed my phone to my friend who was looking for music, and her first reaction was "This is a nightmare to use". The delay between tapping and the song actually playing is outrageous).

Other nice things would be:
    -Weekly view in calendar.
    -Lock screen orientation and better camera software (though rumors suggest Nokia might be working on this on their own, but for those HTC and Samsung owners out there, it could still be nice)

What I dont get is use of the calendar tile... Are you kidding me here MS? You have this great thing of displaying information and you stick 1 upcoming appointment on it, really? How about having 4 upcoming appointments on one side and number of open to-dos on the other? How hard something like this could be?

Edit: I just didnt bring up many obvious things like editing forwarded email, closing running apps directly from running apps list and many others, but Im sure others will bring these up here...

I personally would like to also see little more function on the integrated Facebook (offline messages, groups etc), because we still need the app now and does it really make sense to have this stuff in 2 places?
    I would really like a pinch to zoom gesture on a tile to expand it to almost full screen, but not open as an app. That way, things like email, facebook updates, appointments, recently played music, recently played games can be easily accessed.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast