Memory Effect Now Found in Li-Ion Batteries

Valiant Lumia 720

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello. I've just read from an article at Pocketnow that Toyota has made a new study that shows that Li-Ion batteries also exhibit the "memory effect".
So, does this mean that a partial charge and discharge is now not healthy for our batteries?
And, a full charge and discharge cycle is actually healthier?

WPCentral Community please respond.

Here are the links if you wanna do the reading.

Toyota Confirms: Li-Ion Batteries Have a “Memory Effect” | Pocketnow

Memory effect now also found in lithium-ion batteries

ah06

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Full discharging on Li-ion is not recommended and its ill effects would be far greater than any *memory effect* even if this research is right on the ball.

However, contrary to popular belief, you do benefit in one way by a full discharge and recharge in that it allows your software to recalibrate the 0 and 100% and prevent incorrect display of battery %.

Valiant Lumia 720

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Full discharging on Li-ion is not recommended and its ill effects would be far greater than any *memory effect* even if this research is right on the ball.

However, contrary to popular belief, you do benefit in one way by a full discharge and recharge in that it allows your software to recalibrate the 0 and 100% and prevent incorrect display of battery %.

The research says that the memory effect in Li-ion is in fact tiny, and not as pronounced as with the Ni-Cad. They only aimed to find out whether this effect is really absent in Li-Ion, and according to the results it is not absent.

So, do you think it's best that I continue my habit of doing a partial charge and discharge and just set aside this recent finding?
I charge when battery level goes below 50% because that's the best time to charge acording to batteryuniversity.com and I keep the charge only up to around 90%.

Thank you for your reply.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
well, once in a while it's good to let it reach 0 then fully recharging to 100 to recalibrate your battery...but, again, JUST once in a while

other than that just keep the way you're charging :)

i myself plug it to charger before it reaches 10% then let it charge to 100%

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I charge whenever convenient, I have USB charging on my desk, AC charging in bed, car charger in car... The question for me is not how low but how often can I keep topping it up :)

never had a battery prematurely die or become useless on me cause of improper charging

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I charge whenever convenient, I have USB charging on my desk, AC charging in bed, car charger in car... The question for me is not how low but how often can I keep topping it up :)

never had a battery prematurely die or become useless on me cause of improper charging

I do the same as you. I'm always topping off the battery.

I just let it run out completely about every 2 months to recalibrate.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
To me, you should use your cell phone however you want to use your cell phone. Having to worry about a bunch of possible little issues takes away from the joy of using the device. It reminds me of people who turn off tons of options and lower the screen brightness all the time to get a little more battery life. I leave WIFI, Bluetooth on and my screen brightness turned all the way up because I want to get the full joy out of a phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos