Can anyone explain this to me? About notifications.

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi
I was hanging out with a friend of mine when a third friend mentioned us both in a tweet... My friend ( iPhone user) got an INSTANT notification, while I had to Wait for 10 min. To get it on my 8x ( using Gleek).
I searched about it here in the forums and I think that official twitter app can handel the notifications much better.

My question is.. Why can't all the apps het the same system as the official twitter app ( if what I heard wad true). And what really make take so long while other older platforms can do it seamlessly?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The official Windows Phone Twitter app does provide instant notifications. That's why I use it and got rid of all 3rd-party Twitter apps.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Notifications can pop up because a server sent the "toast" to you or because a "periodic task" ran in the background and decided to display a notification. I don't know if Gleek uses periodic tasks to look for Twitter mentions, but if it does, the wait for an alert can be as long as 30 minutes since that's the frequency at which Windows Phone runs those periodic tasks.

As mentioned by lak611, the official Twitter app uses server-based notifications, so they should come without a wait for a task to run on your phone. (I don't know if the Apple and Microsoft push services have any substantial performance differences.)

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so why don't developers follow this twitter example and start using the server? Even the Facebook app is #$#$#$ I can't get notifications almost all the time.
Btw I downloaded the official twitter app on my phone and its super fast. Wish all other apps will get the same thing.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so why don't developers follow this twitter example and start using the server? Even the Facebook app is #$#$#$ I can't get notifications almost all the time.
Btw I downloaded the official twitter app on my phone and its super fast. Wish all other apps will get the same thing.

Facebook app is currently in beta. If you want to partake in the beta, and send your feedback to microsoft to help make the app better, you can do so.

Facebook Beta | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
servers for push notifications cost money that a lot of indie developers don't have.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Apple has a special server to push all notifications.

Traditionally , Different apps are connected to their respective servers and your device must keep track of all those servers to get updates.

In iOS , All notifications from all servers are connected to Apple server and Apple pushes you all notifications from all those servers from their own server , therefore ur iOS device is connected only to Apple server.

So if u have multiple devices , all those devices are still under same account. Apple doesn't push notifications to your device.It pushes all notifications to your account.So all devices connected to that account get notifications.Thats how Gamecenter , iMessage work across OS X and iOS.
That's how they merge Apple ID and Phone number for facetime.

(I am sure Apple's way of pushing notifications is true but not sure what way WP pushes notifications)

Last edited:

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Don't you think that Ms should do the same in order to push their mobile OS? I don't know a lot about this, but find it more convenient and lets not forget that ALL the apps are under Microsoft's control as far as I know, unlike what we can see on android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3