iPod Touch like WP device?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I know that the iPod Touch isn't as big of deal as it used to be. But I was thinking, should a WP media device like the touch be released? I am laying down, typing this on my 521 that I now use strictly as a Touch like device. If you took the cell portions out of it (making it slightly cheaper), it would be a great device for people to discover WP. Thoughts?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeh stand alone media players are fading away. Now a days Cell phones and Tablets are enough for the consumer. The ZuneHD is always there if you want metro and Xbox music!

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree. That aren't as popular as days previous but plenty of them are still sold. It also wouldn't take much effort to do my suggestion and put it on the market.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Software wise, yeh itd be cake to make a media player. But as if Zune sales weren't enough to prove how hard it is to penetrate the pmp market, Microsoft would have to invest in hardware or find an OEM who would want to do something like that, and honestly I think they will see more money in Tablets then PMPs. That being said, I would still kill for one if they did! :p lol

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I knew you were a closet lover of my idea! That's why encouraging Nokia is put out a 521 without the phone portion as a media player...sell it for around 120.

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
iPod touch 64gb: $439
Lumia 520 72gb (8gb +64gb sd card) = $220

One has a phone.
I'm just sayin.

Edit: Australian prices.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
the iPod touch is still a solid seller, i still see them everywhere (even 5th gens) and it's a shame noone really pushed to bust in there. sure Samsung has its galaxy player, but it seems everyone pretty much gave up on this market. but its still a hit with us kids.

what i do now is just get older devices and just turn off the radio - works for me :p

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I'll agree with the majority here. Would be a money loosing venture for whomever attempted it. Now take that same concept and incorportate it into a watch or bracelet you may just have something.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I would totally buy an Xbox Touch Player with my Xbox Music Pass on it!
I cannot carry my Lumia with me while I run or carry it while I am working out in the gym and I refuse to pay for an iProduct. I know someone is bound to quote me asking me to get a Zune but it's like buying a Windows Phone 7 today.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It is called Zune HD Player, which is what WP7 concept based on. Only available in US market. Far better media player than iPod touch back in the days.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
iPod touch 64gb: $439
Lumia 520 72gb (8gb +64gb sd card) = $220

One has a phone.
I'm just sayin.

Edit: Australian prices.
You can use whole 64 GB for anything you want (yeah 59.x is usable) , Whole space for apps if u want and you can install 50 1-GB games :) , In Lumia u can't use more than 6.x GB for apps or games.

iPod Touch can run all latest games and apps , its unbeatable device in that category especially for younger generation.

WP has very less games and apps as of now (This shouldn't actually be a competition because Most WP games are downgraded graphics like asphalt 7 which has no smoke effects or other games with lot of details missing)

Yes apps are arriving every week but still its a long way.

But comparing it to phone is not so fair.

As a Phone , I give WP heads up (Vs iOS especially all features like people's hub , easy integration , nice apps etc.) , but iPod Touch meant only for apps and games , no device can beat it regarding its function to serve
It has exact same screen of iPhone 5 which is one of the most accurate displays on the market (according to anandtech and displaymate analysis) compared to Lumia 720 screen.Its screen is comparable to Lumia 920.

I don't know why WP games are so rubbish (high end games) , with missing details , I hope developers work better for WP.

Yes its price is higher but its a great device for multimedia.

Last edited:

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
It will be technically very difficult. The windows phone 8 requires cellular network to perform very basic tasks like restoring from back up - I don't know why they decided to do it that way - but to make something like a media player work, a lot of updates need to be added to windows phone OS.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I knew you were a closet lover of my idea! That's why encouraging Nokia is put out a 521 without the phone portion as a media player...sell it for around 120.
If Nokia can put out a Windows phone media device with no cell data, Lumia 800 style, and the slimness of most recent iPod Touch with only a FFC (Skype and soon OovoO) dual core and sell it for 120+ I'd buy it. $150 for 64gb. Yeah WP doesn't have many games but its a cheaper alternative, you already have Xbox Music Subscription and Xbox support for messages and achievements. SkyDrive support for all you phone pics get transferred in, its a great idea!

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
If Nokia can put out a Windows phone media device with no cell data, Lumia 800 style, and the slimness of most recent iPod Touch with only a FFC (Skype and soon OovoO) dual core and sell it for 120+ I'd buy it. $150 for 64gb. Yeah WP doesn't have many games but its a cheaper alternative, you already have Xbox Music Subscription and Xbox support for messages and achievements. SkyDrive support for all you phone pics get transferred in, its a great idea!

The problem, is video. Netflix and alike require a network, Xbox video doesn't require a network but is not supported. We basically don't have many legitimate ways to load movies. No game, no video, no network on subway - a glorified MP3 player?

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
That's all the iPod is as well. If they announced an iPod with sim tray that would be a iPhone. Basically its for people who want longer life (no cell data drain) with preloaded entertainment but an option to stream when WiFi.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett