05-10-2013 02:40 PM
- I searched the forums a bit and couldn't find a topic on these issues/bugs.
I've been using Skype to make video calls this week due to the gf being out of town for work training. I noticed a few things during the past few days.
- When making a video call, I received a text message. So, as per what I usually do in a speaker call, I selected the toast to go to it. This worked fine, and I was able to read the text. The skype call was supposedly still running as the toast bar indicator was showing at the top. This is the exact same effect that happens in a regular call. I expected it to work fine, but every time I navigated to the home screen or elsewhere on the phone, the skype call appeared to still be running, but my gf told me all video and audio was cut off from my end. Does anyone else experience this problem?
- Odd background noise. Almost like whistling. It would come and go. I don't understand how, but it must be related to the app because regular phone calls are clear as a bell for both of us. This was during a video call, we have not tested audio only for this.
- Frequent connection slow down or stuttering. I imagine this might be a byproduct of the quality of the wifi we are both on, but wanted to mention it anyway to see if anyone else has the same issue.
- Battery use. Holy sh*t skype calls chew back battery. I don't know if this is normal, but a 30 minute video call took me from 100% to 80%. The worst was a call I made yesterday, it was about 12 or 13 minutes and the phone was at 35%. Took me down to 8% in that short time. Does anyone else experience this? I do expect it to use more battery than when idle, but it certainly goes faster than I would like.
What's everyone's thoughts/experiences with skype and these issues?
My gf and I both use Lumia 920s on Rogers btw.05-08-2013 08:48 PM
- The only thing I can comment on is #3 connection stutter. I used Skype last night and it seemed fine on my end with some hiccups and some pixelated video off and on, we switched to Facetime and she said it was a lot better, but seemed grainier on my end. She was on a mac, I was on an HTC 8x (facetime i used my ipad mini)
I didn't notice any stutter and the lag was MUCH better on Skype than Facetime. I will say that Facetime had a better video quality overall.05-08-2013 09:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD