How Microsoft/Nokia will succeed

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
This is how I see Nokia/Microsoft winning the phone wars. Nokia continue making incredible hardware and Microsoft develop the software but with one little caveat. Microsoft design an OS, give it to Nokia and Nokia tweak it. That's it!!! Nothing difficult about it! Microsoft take far too long to fix issues and Nokia bend over backwards for their customers, so the above mentioned scheme seems the logical way to go and everyone wins. Nokia reclaim their crown, Microsoft make money and customers get tha products they deserve. Feel free to disagree but you'd be hard pressed to come up with a simpler plan.

Last edited by a moderator:

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: How M$/Nokia will succeed

Your obviously not a big fan of Microsoft are you? All of the things you describe would lead one to think this is a pretty stand-up company but yet you use suttle words in there putting them down.

Whats up with dat?

kokola95

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site

I would also support your idea since nokia effort is HUGE. however, it seems impossible

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site

I don?t think that MS will limit it?s options, but who knows. Things change fast during these days.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

Your obviously not a big fan of Microsoft are you? All of the things you describe would lead one to think this is a pretty stand-up company but yet you use suttle words in there putting them down.

Whats up with dat?

I'm a huge fan of there software and I own both a Lumia 820 and 620 as well as an Xbox but I'm not happy with the way they try to act like the catholic church by attempting to bend everyone to their way of thinking or doing things their way! If they just hand Nokia the OS n let Nokia tweak it we'll all be happy with the platform and Microsoft/Nokia will murder iOS/Android ;)

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

Until they did "the wedding ad" you have to admit that this all seemed like a hobby for Microsoft and only Nokia seemed serious about promoting the platform. Maybe Microsoft are starting to pay attention. Remember it was Nokia who gave us Storage Check when it wasn't even their duty to do so!! Nokia are supposed to make the hardware whilst Microsoft develop the OS.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

Doesn't make sense, not sure what type of tweaking? If MS doesn't like what NOkia is doing, that is going to be a major problem.

Your suggestion is a recipe for disaster. The most they should be doing is collaborating which they may be doing already, nokia focuses on hardware, MS focuses on the software.

What MS needs to do is get in touch with the consumer and understand what they want and not tell what the consumer wants. Get all the basic features on the platform, get the features that people want and integrate skype in this thing.

I am not going to go deep into getting apps onthe platform because if it isnt all up to MS about apps, it is up to the developers, if the develoepr dont want to support wp8, not much MS can do.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I thought about more after I wrote that, which was 2 am Aussie time lol, n ur right they should b collaborating heaps more on tha software side of things. Nokia do a brilliant job hardware wise! If Microsoft did tha right thing eg; fix "other" immediately, I wouldn't b thinking like I was last nite!!!

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

Doesn't make sense, not sure what type of tweaking? If MS doesn't like what NOkia is doing, that is going to be a major problem.

Your suggestion is a recipe for disaster. The most they should be doing is collaborating which they may be doing already, nokia focuses on hardware, MS focuses on the software.

What MS needs to do is get in touch with the consumer and understand what they want and not tell what the consumer wants. Get all the basic features on the platform, get the features that people want and integrate skype in this thing.

I am not going to go deep into getting apps onthe platform because if it isnt all up to MS about apps, it is up to the developers, if the develoepr dont want to support wp8, not much MS can do.

I only care about tha ecosystem we currently use n I wanna see it succeed brother;)

Arjun KR

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I agree with your point but hope WP wont go Android way,Samsung has Touchwiz UI over stock Android,Sony has their own,HTC has their own....its a total mess with all those bloat stuff that each OEM has added in their phones

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

To a degree this has already happened. As part of the Nokia / MS deal, Nokia gained the rights to all the source code AND the rights to modify it as they please. No other WP OEM has those rights. On the other hand, Nokia has absolutely no interest in modifying the OS directly, or at least they have not done so to date. I assume that aspect of the deal was related more to risk management (required in order to justify betting the company on WP), than the actual desire to modify the OS.

Nokia seems content to ask MS to add hooks or plugin points so they can extend the OS with the Lumia specific functionality where required. That also saves Nokia from having to maintain OS code and coordinate that with MS, which is a huge cost saver.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site

I might get reamed for this, but Microsoft's support has been decent. Apple gets a fix out to devices only if the problem pops up in the news somewhere / and the yearly refresh. There are still some Droids that have never seen an update. etc. Microsoft right after WP8 released had an update ready, we are getting an update here very soon GDR2, with GDR3 on its heals then Blue at the end of the year/beginning of next. I would say that is some decent support. The Other issue might have more depth than we know about, and they have to dig into the OS deep to fix it. I would rather they do that, then rush some half assed fix that does not address the core issue with "other"

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

I would rather they do that, then rush some half assed fix that does not address the core issue with "other"

this I can agree with wholeheartedly! I love everything about my 820 n sincerely wanna see this platform/ecosystem succeed. I will b 1 of tha 1st to buy tha next line of Lumia's and I'm glad we have a system that is "virtually" hack-proof. Who cares about having root access, as long as your phone performs as advertised. Maybe there are issues in the background that no ones aware of regarding "other", etc but to be honest Microsoft don't seem or appear to be listening to consumers input and if GDR2 etc don't fix basic functions that we don't have it will be to all our detriment! I don't wanna lose this f%#@in awesome phone;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon