Auto brightness vs manual on Lumia

SergikUK

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys, has anyone worked out what the best balance between ability to see what's on the screen in different lighting conditions and the battery life of a device. After some experiments I have found that Auto brightness in a low mode is a good choice. What about you? Regards.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I have always wondered about this, myself. I've found that the screen will not get as bright as it should in direct sunlight when I keep the phone set to automatic brightness, with a low level. When I set it to high, it goes all the way, but when set to low, it doesn't get that bright.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Auto brightness in a low mode? That can't be right. Auto brightness works on the amount of light the brightness sensor is receiving, if it's dark, it will reduce the amount of light. Vice versa in a very bright environment or when Sun is shining down :) . Changing to manual fixes the brightness permanently , deactivating the sensor.

Auto brightness works best for me and battery life is better.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys, has anyone worked out what the best balance between ability to see what's on the screen in different lighting conditions and the battery life of a device. After some experiments I have found that Auto brightness in a low mode is a good choice. What about you? Regards.

Well in my case, it doesn't matter. I've gotten to an age where I need it on the brightest setting to see it the best. That's what age does for you :eek:rly:. Obviously that make a difference in how long your battery lasts but I refuse to compromise my needs to make the battery last longer. I set my phone exactly how I want it (WiFi, hotspot, Blue tooth, whatever) and if I need to charge it during the day at some point, then that's what I do.

beachhoppr

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is leaving your brightness on medium is less a battery drain than automatic which, to some degree, is constantly changing the brightness up and down. This uses battery.

SergikUK

May 4, 2013
Visit site
My understanding is leaving your brightness on medium is less a battery drain than automatic which, to some degree, is constantly changing the brightness up and down. This uses battery.
I have stumbled across an article on Nokia's official website regarding ways to prolong battery life. They suggest that one turns off automatic mode to preserve battery. I will leave it on medium for some time...

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Never used auto mode on any of my prev. Phones. But lumia 920 has excellent, for me, auto mode! It doesn't make brightness to low on good lights, like all others did. For example HTC 8X

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss