On a two year contract, starting today, what would you get? HTC 8X or Lumia 920?

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I need to retire my Samsung Focus, but I don't have a lot of money to spend. The HTC 8X (8 gb, new) is $.99 right now from AT&T, and the Nokia Lumia 920 (refurbished) is $.01. I would much rather get something newer since I have to use it for two years, but money is an issue so these are my best options right now.

I'm curious what you guys and gals would pick, and also at this stage of Windows Phone as an OS, and these devices having been out for some time now, do you think they will still be a good phone (updates, power, etc.) for the next two years? Also, how are Nokia's refurbs?

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
definitely, the 920, just because of the 32GB of storage. Of course you should go in a store to check if you like the size and weight (I don't think there's a problem with it, but some people seem to dislike it). But 8GB are nothing, and afaik you can't even extend it. just so you know, my 820 internal storage:
7.4GB usable space

2GB apps
2GB system
1.5GB other

I store maps, photos and music on an SD card, and without that I'd be lost. you can count with nothing more than maybe 4GB usable space, the rest is used by the sytem/other. Then, add a few pictures, songs and it'll be gone..

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Opinions will vary on this. In fact it will be an outright fight, but I would recommend the 920. Its a great device in every aspect. As for the refurb, I wouldn't worry about that. If you have an issue just return it for another.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Do you have to renew your contract right now/is your Focus inoperable? If yes to either, if storage space and device support is important, then the Nokia Lumia 920 would be the route to go (but I personally would not purchase a refurb - I'd wait until I could fork over the price of a new device). If not, then the 8x should suffice.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Opinions will vary on this. In fact it will be an outright fight, but I would recommend the 920. Its a great device in every aspect. As for the refurb, I wouldn't worry about that. If you have an issue just return it for another.

yep, normally, it's mostly personal taste that matters since the specs are mostly the same, they will both perform pretty the same. But 8GB of storage, non extendable, are almost impossible to live with. Especially with windows phone that uses more than iOS.. and even an iPod Touch with 8GB sucks. just think of a bigger game, it fills about 1-1.5 GB. I'd never get this 8X when it comes with 8gb storage.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
920 if for no other reason than given HTC's track record as soon as a new model comes out the 8X will only get the bare minimum updates. The 920 should be well supported for the next 2 years.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I think there's a special on the 920 on ATT actually for free with the two year contract if so get the 920 for free. They had a $100 tradein offer recvently that still may ge going on !

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
i think it comes down to the size, physical and storage.

I had a Focus in the past, its a more narrow phone than the Lumia 920, i would say the 8X is more along the lines of a similar body design to the Focus.

The storage is also a big deal, 32GB vs 8GB is a big difference (if it were 16GB i wouldnt put such a big emphasis on it).

suggestion is to try both out at the store before making a decision.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Do you have to renew your contract right now/is your Focus inoperable? If yes to either, if storage space and device support is important, then the Nokia Lumia 920 would be the route to go (but I personally would not purchase a refurb - I'd wait until I could fork over the price of a new device). If not, then the 8x should suffice.

It's pretty close to inoperable. It reboots several times a day, freezes and starts making a loud squealing noise out of the speaker which requires a battery pull to fix, text messages throw errors saying the SIM is removed, calls will come in, but I answer and they can't hear me and I can't hear them (outbound too) and it keeps making the plug-in chime as if I am plugging and unplugging it over and over. And the screen wont turn off, so the battery only lasts an hour or two. I still get a lot of use out of it, but I'm missing important calls unfortunately.

Last edited:

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It's pretty close to inoperable. It reboots several times a day, freezes and starts making a loud squealing noise out of the speaker which requires a battery pull to fix, text messages throw errors saying the SIM is removed, calls will come in, but I answer and they can't hear me and I can't hear them (outbound too) and it keeps making the plug-in chime as if I am plugging and unplugging it over and over. And the screen wont turn off, so the battery only lasts an hour or two. I still get a lot of use out of it, but I'm missing important calls unfortunately.
hater or just commenting on another product? The 920 and the 8X don't even have removable batteries..

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
8x
  • much smaller and lighter
  • better sound

• better camera
  • super sensitive touch screen
  • larger internal storage
  • wireless charging built in (assuming your 8x is att and doesn't have it)
  • better support (exclusive apps and Nokia customer service)
Same
  • Screens are about same in quality. Minor differences in ratio and tech but can't go wrong either way
  • NFC
  • processors and ram are same

these are just some major things to look at. Depends on what is more important to you. Definitely pick them up and hold each of them before you choose.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Unless you pick up the 920 and feel it is just too heavy for you for whatever reason, I can't otherwise not recommend the 920, it is a great device and other than the solid build of it that some may feel is just too much for them (Not sure why exactly, but to each his own). It matches or beats the 8X is virtually every other category.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923