Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I need to retire my Samsung Focus, but I don't have a lot of money to spend. The HTC 8X (8 gb, new) is $.99 right now from AT&T, and the Nokia Lumia 920 (refurbished) is $.01. I would much rather get something newer since I have to use it for two years, but money is an issue so these are my best options right now.

I'm curious what you guys and gals would pick, and also at this stage of Windows Phone as an OS, and these devices having been out for some time now, do you think they will still be a good phone (updates, power, etc.) for the next two years? Also, how are Nokia's refurbs?

definitely, the 920, just because of the 32GB of storage. Of course you should go in a store to check if you like the size and weight (I don't think there's a problem with it, but some people seem to dislike it). But 8GB are nothing, and afaik you can't even extend it. just so you know, my 820 internal storage:
    7.4GB usable space

2GB apps
    2GB system
    1.5GB other

I store maps, photos and music on an SD card, and without that I'd be lost. you can count with nothing more than maybe 4GB usable space, the rest is used by the sytem/other. Then, add a few pictures, songs and it'll be gone..
    Lumia 920 for durability and style as well as excellent WP support and very good worth while exclusive apps.

Opinions will vary on this. In fact it will be an outright fight, but I would recommend the 920. Its a great device in every aspect. As for the refurb, I wouldn't worry about that. If you have an issue just return it for another.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Do you have to renew your contract right now/is your Focus inoperable? If yes to either, if storage space and device support is important, then the Nokia Lumia 920 would be the route to go (but I personally would not purchase a refurb - I'd wait until I could fork over the price of a new device). If not, then the 8x should suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by gsquared View Post
    Opinions will vary on this. In fact it will be an outright fight, but I would recommend the 920. Its a great device in every aspect. As for the refurb, I wouldn't worry about that. If you have an issue just return it for another.
    yep, normally, it's mostly personal taste that matters since the specs are mostly the same, they will both perform pretty the same. But 8GB of storage, non extendable, are almost impossible to live with. Especially with windows phone that uses more than iOS.. and even an iPod Touch with 8GB sucks. just think of a bigger game, it fills about 1-1.5 GB. I'd never get this 8X when it comes with 8gb storage.

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    920 if for no other reason than given HTC's track record as soon as a new model comes out the 8X will only get the bare minimum updates. The 920 should be well supported for the next 2 years.

Definitely 920. Nokia is by far more committed to WP, and their custom apps are pretty good.

Global Posts
    2,432 Global Posts
    I think there's a special on the 920 on ATT actually for free with the two year contract if so get the 920 for free. They had a $100 tradein offer recvently that still may ge going on !
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!

Global Posts
    1,456 Global Posts
    i think it comes down to the size, physical and storage.

I had a Focus in the past, its a more narrow phone than the Lumia 920, i would say the 8X is more along the lines of a similar body design to the Focus.

The storage is also a big deal, 32GB vs 8GB is a big difference (if it were 16GB i wouldnt put such a big emphasis on it).

suggestion is to try both out at the store before making a decision.
    Nexus 5 -- Surface Pro 2

Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Residing View Post
    Do you have to renew your contract right now/is your Focus inoperable? If yes to either, if storage space and device support is important, then the Nokia Lumia 920 would be the route to go (but I personally would not purchase a refurb - I'd wait until I could fork over the price of a new device). If not, then the 8x should suffice.
    It's pretty close to inoperable. It reboots several times a day, freezes and starts making a loud squealing noise out of the speaker which requires a battery pull to fix, text messages throw errors saying the SIM is removed, calls will come in, but I answer and they can't hear me and I can't hear them (outbound too) and it keeps making the plug-in chime as if I am plugging and unplugging it over and over. And the screen wont turn off, so the battery only lasts an hour or two. I still get a lot of use out of it, but I'm missing important calls unfortunately.
    Last edited by jalb; 05-10-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Added missing quote

Quote Originally Posted by jalb View Post
    It's pretty close to inoperable. It reboots several times a day, freezes and starts making a loud squealing noise out of the speaker which requires a battery pull to fix, text messages throw errors saying the SIM is removed, calls will come in, but I answer and they can't hear me and I can't hear them (outbound too) and it keeps making the plug-in chime as if I am plugging and unplugging it over and over. And the screen wont turn off, so the battery only lasts an hour or two. I still get a lot of use out of it, but I'm missing important calls unfortunately.
    hater or just commenting on another product? The 920 and the 8X don't even have removable batteries..

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by th0mas96 View Post
    hater or just commenting on another product? The 920 and the 8X don't even have removable batteries..
    I'm sure he's talking about his Focus. It's no contest, refurb or not, 920 without a doubt.

Oh. Sorry then :D
    Two year contract? I wish. In Canada our contracts are 3 years and come with a complimentary jar of vaseline to sooth the entry pains.
    chezm likes this.
    8x
    • much smaller and lighter
    • better sound

• better camera
    • super sensitive touch screen
    • larger internal storage
    • wireless charging built in (assuming your 8x is att and doesn't have it)
    • better support (exclusive apps and Nokia customer service)

Same
    • Screens are about same in quality. Minor differences in ratio and tech but can't go wrong either way
    • NFC
    • processors and ram are same

these are just some major things to look at. Depends on what is more important to you. Definitely pick them up and hold each of them before you choose.
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,300 Global Posts
    920 without hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalWarrior View Post
    Two year contract? I wish. In Canada our contracts are 3 years and come with a complimentary jar of vaseline to sooth the entry pains.
    I didn't get the vaseline. :'(
    But seriously, get the return 920. Access to Nokia exclusive apps are a definite plus point.

Unless you pick up the 920 and feel it is just too heavy for you for whatever reason, I can't otherwise not recommend the 920, it is a great device and other than the solid build of it that some may feel is just too much for them (Not sure why exactly, but to each his own). It matches or beats the 8X is virtually every other category.
    "Bro, you know I lift cause I use a Lumia 920..."

Global Posts
    2,912 Global Posts
    Should have gotten then 920 free when you could have!

DEAL ALERT: Nokia Lumia 920 available for free through AT&T | Windows Phone Central
    HeyCori likes this.

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Oh dear! Yes, you definitely need a new phone. I'm sure you'll make the best selection for your needs, whichever device you choose.

Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    I would go for the Lumia 920 personally, do to most of the reasons already stated in this thread. The one worry I have however, is that you're going to buy it refurbished. AT&T's refurbs only come with a 90 day warranty, so I'd make sure you have insurance just in case something goes wrong as you'll be locked in for 2 years.

Global Posts
    1,456 Global Posts
    When i had my Focus i experienced very similar situation, expect mine wouldnt stay online for more than 5 minutes...it just kept rebooting. Ya, its definitely time to upgrade buddy.
    Nexus 5 -- Surface Pro 2

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jfa1 View Post
    I think there's a special on the 920 on ATT actually for free with the two year contract if so get the 920 for free. They had a $100 tradein offer recvently that still may ge going on !
    yeh the 920 is free right now. I would definitely go for the 920. Great device lots of storage and should be supported for a good while.

I was torn between the two but as soon as I handled the 920 my mind was made up: It felt like a baby's teething toy to me so I have the 8X!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast