Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    According to the latest post on the windows phone blog

Nokia’s first metal Windows Phone arrives

- FM Radio
    - Data Sense on more carriers (why not just make a lite version thats just a plain old data meter)
    - Select, download and pin tunes in Xbox music
    - Accuracy is improved for song meta data
    - Support for CalDAV and CardDAV
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by andrelamont View Post
    According to the latest post on the windows phone blog

Nokia’s first metal Windows Phone arrives

- FM Radio
    - Data Sense on more carriers (why not just make a lite version thats just a plain old data meter)
    - Select, download and pin tunes in Xbox music
    - Accuracy is improved for song meta data
    - Support for CalDAV and CardDAV
    and

The update includes hundreds of other small quality improvements.

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Does clearing the cache count as a "small quality improvement"? Surely Microsoft can't be waiting until October / November to fix this?

- Select, download and pin tunes in Xbox Music
    this is available today.....

By the way where is GDR2?
    Slenzen likes this.

Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fardream View Post
    this is available today.....

By the way where is GDR2?
    I may be confused as to what is GDR1,GDR2 or GDR3?

It looks like it going to be called GDR2(?)
    Microsoft shares details about its next Windows Phone 8 update | ZDNet

I may be confused as to what is GDR1,GDR2 or GDR3?

It looks like it going to be called GDR2(?)
    Microsoft shares details about its next Windows Phone 8 update | ZDNet
    The rumor goes that the last update with WiFi continuously on is GDR1, and there will be GDR2/3 before the so called blue (or blue is one of the GDRs)

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    they should throw us some more theme colors

With the 2 new Lumia 925 and 928 being oled, I hope they give the music app the black background again, just like it was in WP7 and the Zune HD. I adjusted my album art to have black backgrounds since leaving it transparent or empty made it white in WP7 and Zune. The nasty gray gradient messed that all up :(
    What about gapless playback??? I'm dying for it! And I wish they make music app more stable,I don't want it to hang when ever I hit shuffle play ~_~

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChunk41 View Post
    What about gapless playback??? I'm dying for it! And I wish they make music app more stable,I don't want it to hang when ever I hit shuffle play ~_~
    +1
  12. cgk

Global Posts
    7,830 Global Posts
    Nothing too interesting - Datasense i can see being useful if you are capped but if you are on unlimited - who cares?

The list of updates and features in GDR2 is rather disappointing. They're all fairly minor and it does seem like we're moving at a snail's pace when we have quite a lot to catch up on. Don't get me wrong these are welcome additions (I hope my carrier gets DataSense!) but in six months I'd have expected to see a bit more progress...
    Thanked by:

Interesting video demoing some of the new features of the GDR2

Windows Phone 8 update to include international podcasts, FM radio | The Verge
    It took 5 years for iOS and Android to get to where they are now. So I suggest you wait until 5 years has passed for Windows Phone. You cant just copy and paste this stuff. You don't understand the hundreds of things that needs to be analyzed and planned for each single new feature.

A notification center is a large feature. It takes time to code. And EVERYONE here should understand by now that Microsoft is focusing on the entire ECOSYSTEM as a whole. Do you want a lousy notification center now? Or do you want a notification center that's innovative, a notification center that syncs across all your devices like Windows 8 and Xbox?

My guess is you want the second one, as do I. So if you want a central notification center across the entire ecosystem, that means you have around a month of development for Windows Phone, a month of development for Xbox, a month of development for Windows 8, etc.

MS is doing everything correctly. They are doing everything the RIGHT WAY. Let the PROFESSIONALS do what they have been doing for YEARS.
    Last edited by eric12341; 05-14-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: cleaning up post

Global Posts
    2,912 Global Posts
    All of a sudden, no one cares about the notification center anymore?

Global Posts
    2,912 Global Posts
    Also, according to THIS video. Vodafone UK WILL have data sense

Windows Phone 8 update to include international podcasts, FM radio | The Verge

You can see it in the settings @ 00:56

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Carpenter View Post
    It took 5 years for iOS and Android to get to where they are now. So I suggest you wait until 5 years has passed for Windows Phone. You cant just copy and paste this stuff. You don't understand the hundreds of things that needs to be analyzed and planned for each single new feature.

A notification center is a large feature. It takes time to code. And EVERYONE here should understand by now that Microsoft is focusing on the entire ECOSYSTEM as a whole. Do you want a lousy notification center now? Or do you want a notification center that's innovative, a notification center that syncs across all your devices like Windows 8 and Xbox?

My guess is you want the second one, as do I. So if you want a central notification center across the entire ecosystem, that means you have around a month of development for Windows Phone, a month of development for Xbox, a month of development for Windows 8, etc.

MS is doing everything correctly. They are doing everything the RIGHT WAY. Let the PROFESSIONALS do what they have been doing for YEARS.
    Perfect response.... Totally agree. Apart from that damn 'Notification/Toast Centre'. I'm sick of hearing about it. I wish people would learn to use their phone properly.... Jeez!!!!!
    Last edited by stmav; 05-14-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts

100% this! AND i'd like to add i think are they keeping notification center and other major features to be released with Blue update! So it will cause a great impact together with Windows 8!
    Last edited by stmav; 05-14-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_2 View Post
    IBut I do feel like I'm continually holding out for Microsoft to sort some of the basics that are missing, so an announcement about an update that only includes the features announced today is a bit disappointing.
    You just said you're holding out for MS to deliver the basics. But then why are you expecting Nokia to announce those basics which are up to MS to deliver? Makes no sense and seems like an obvious way to set yourself up for disappointment, no?

Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    You just said you're holding out for MS to deliver the basics. But then why are you expecting Nokia to announce those basics which are up to MS to deliver? Makes no sense and seems like an obvious way to set yourself up for disappointment, no?
    he is referring to the updates windows phone blog mentioned in the blog about Lumia 925
    he is referring to the updates windows phone blog mentioned in the blog about Lumia 925
    and that is important why?

Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    and that is important why?
    because it's Microsoft announcing features that will be introduced into windows phones (a.k.a. Our HTC brethrens will also get them - when they actually get it is another issue). It's just "casually" mingled in a post introducing Lumia 925 so you may confuse it as a Lumia/nokia update.
    Microsoft is smart because they are not wasting resources trying to satisfy the users that will NEVER be satisfied.
    Completely agree with all your statements Rob.

People are entitled to their own opinions and should be able to freely state what they do and do not like. On the other hand, judging the work of people in a field they themselves have absolutely zero expertise in is pretty pathetic, but unfortunately also commonplace.
    Thanked by:
    because it's Microsoft announcing features that will be introduced into windows phones (a.k.a. Our HTC brethrens will also get them - when they actually get it is another issue). It's just "casually" mingled in a post introducing Lumia 925 so you may confuse it as a Lumia/nokia update.
    Okay. I think I read that same blog. The title of that section was: "WP8 update coming this summer", which seems pretty clear to me...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast