XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

Leader of the pack

HP's Spectre x360 15 just might be the best all-around laptop

New or refurbed?

Is a refurbed Surface right for you?

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
Like Tree14Likes
  1. andrelamont's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    According to the latest post on the windows phone blog

    Nokias first metal Windows Phone arrives

    - FM Radio
    - Data Sense on more carriers (why not just make a lite version thats just a plain old data meter)
    - Select, download and pin tunes in Xbox music
    - Accuracy is improved for song meta data
    - Support for CalDAV and CardDAV
  2. phonohead's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    236 Posts
    Global Posts
    288 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Thanks for the info.
  3. Tomanband's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    169 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by andrelamont View Post
    According to the latest post on the windows phone blog

    Nokia’s first metal Windows Phone arrives

    - FM Radio
    - Data Sense on more carriers (why not just make a lite version thats just a plain old data meter)
    - Select, download and pin tunes in Xbox music
    - Accuracy is improved for song meta data
    - Support for CalDAV and CardDAV
    and

    The update includes hundreds of other small quality improvements.
  4. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Does clearing the cache count as a "small quality improvement"? Surely Microsoft can't be waiting until October / November to fix this?
  5. fardream's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    458 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by andrelamont View Post
    - Select, download and pin tunes in Xbox Music
    this is available today.....

    By the way where is GDR2?
    Slenzen likes this.
  6. andrelamont's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by fardream View Post
    this is available today.....

    By the way where is GDR2?
    I may be confused as to what is GDR1,GDR2 or GDR3?

    It looks like it going to be called GDR2(?)
    Microsoft shares details about its next Windows Phone 8 update | ZDNet
  7. fardream's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    458 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by andrelamont View Post
    I may be confused as to what is GDR1,GDR2 or GDR3?

    It looks like it going to be called GDR2(?)
    Microsoft shares details about its next Windows Phone 8 update | ZDNet
    The rumor goes that the last update with WiFi continuously on is GDR1, and there will be GDR2/3 before the so called blue (or blue is one of the GDRs)
  8. cory1717's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    they should throw us some more theme colors
  9. pressstart's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    With the 2 new Lumia 925 and 928 being oled, I hope they give the music app the black background again, just like it was in WP7 and the Zune HD. I adjusted my album art to have black backgrounds since leaving it transparent or empty made it white in WP7 and Zune. The nasty gray gradient messed that all up :(
  10. CaptainChunk41's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    136 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    What about gapless playback??? I'm dying for it! And I wish they make music app more stable,I don't want it to hang when ever I hit shuffle play ~_~
  11. Dr Tone's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    50 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChunk41 View Post
    What about gapless playback??? I'm dying for it! And I wish they make music app more stable,I don't want it to hang when ever I hit shuffle play ~_~
    +1
  12. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,394 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Nothing too interesting - Datasense i can see being useful if you are capped but if you are on unlimited - who cares?
  13. Al_2's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    259 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    The list of updates and features in GDR2 is rather disappointing. They're all fairly minor and it does seem like we're moving at a snail's pace when we have quite a lot to catch up on. Don't get me wrong these are welcome additions (I hope my carrier gets DataSense!) but in six months I'd have expected to see a bit more progress...
    jonathanrn likes this.
  14. Tomanband's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    169 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Interesting video demoing some of the new features of the GDR2

    Windows Phone 8 update to include international podcasts, FM radio | The Verge
  15. Robert Carpenter's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    540 Posts
    Global Posts
    552 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    It took 5 years for iOS and Android to get to where they are now. So I suggest you wait until 5 years has passed for Windows Phone. You cant just copy and paste this stuff. You don't understand the hundreds of things that needs to be analyzed and planned for each single new feature.

    A notification center is a large feature. It takes time to code. And EVERYONE here should understand by now that Microsoft is focusing on the entire ECOSYSTEM as a whole. Do you want a lousy notification center now? Or do you want a notification center that's innovative, a notification center that syncs across all your devices like Windows 8 and Xbox?

    My guess is you want the second one, as do I. So if you want a central notification center across the entire ecosystem, that means you have around a month of development for Windows Phone, a month of development for Xbox, a month of development for Windows 8, etc.

    MS is doing everything correctly. They are doing everything the RIGHT WAY. Let the PROFESSIONALS do what they have been doing for YEARS.
    Last edited by eric12341; 05-14-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: cleaning up post
  16. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,160 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,833 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    All of a sudden, no one cares about the notification center anymore?
  17. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,160 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,833 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Also, according to THIS video. Vodafone UK WILL have data sense

    Windows Phone 8 update to include international podcasts, FM radio | The Verge

    You can see it in the settings @ 00:56
  18. Geddeeee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    746 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Carpenter View Post
    It took 5 years for iOS and Android to get to where they are now. So I suggest you wait until 5 years has passed for Windows Phone. You cant just copy and paste this stuff. You don't understand the hundreds of things that needs to be analyzed and planned for each single new feature.

    A notification center is a large feature. It takes time to code. And EVERYONE here should understand by now that Microsoft is focusing on the entire ECOSYSTEM as a whole. Do you want a lousy notification center now? Or do you want a notification center that's innovative, a notification center that syncs across all your devices like Windows 8 and Xbox?

    My guess is you want the second one, as do I. So if you want a central notification center across the entire ecosystem, that means you have around a month of development for Windows Phone, a month of development for Xbox, a month of development for Windows 8, etc.

    MS is doing everything correctly. They are doing everything the RIGHT WAY. Let the PROFESSIONALS do what they have been doing for YEARS.
    Perfect response.... Totally agree. Apart from that damn 'Notification/Toast Centre'. I'm sick of hearing about it. I wish people would learn to use their phone properly.... Jeez!!!!!
    Last edited by stmav; 05-14-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    Robert Carpenter likes this.
  19. nessinhaw's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    367 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Carpenter View Post
    It took 5 years for iOS and Android to get to where they are now. So I suggest you wait until 5 years has passed for Windows Phone. You cant just copy and paste this stuff. You don't understand the hundreds of things that needs to be analyzed and planned for each single new feature.

    A notification center is a large feature. It takes time to code. And EVERYONE here should understand by now that Microsoft is focusing on the entire ECOSYSTEM as a whole. Do you want a lousy notification center now? Or do you want a notification center that's innovative, a notification center that syncs across all your devices like Windows 8 and Xbox?

    My guess is you want the second one, as do I. So if you want a central notification center across the entire ecosystem, that means you have around a month of development for Windows Phone, a month of development for Xbox, a month of development for Windows 8, etc.

    MS is doing everything correctly. They are doing everything the RIGHT WAY. Let the PROFESSIONALS do what they have been doing for YEARS.
    100% this! AND i'd like to add i think are they keeping notification center and other major features to be released with Blue update! So it will cause a great impact together with Windows 8!
    Last edited by stmav; 05-14-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    Robert Carpenter likes this.
  20. a5cent's Avatar

    Posts
    6,398 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,404 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_2 View Post
    IBut I do feel like I'm continually holding out for Microsoft to sort some of the basics that are missing, so an announcement about an update that only includes the features announced today is a bit disappointing.
    You just said you're holding out for MS to deliver the basics. But then why are you expecting Nokia to announce those basics which are up to MS to deliver? Makes no sense and seems like an obvious way to set yourself up for disappointment, no?
  21. fardream's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    458 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    You just said you're holding out for MS to deliver the basics. But then why are you expecting Nokia to announce those basics which are up to MS to deliver? Makes no sense and seems like an obvious way to set yourself up for disappointment, no?
    he is referring to the updates windows phone blog mentioned in the blog about Lumia 925
  22. a5cent's Avatar

    Posts
    6,398 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,404 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by fardream View Post
    he is referring to the updates windows phone blog mentioned in the blog about Lumia 925
    and that is important why?
  23. fardream's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    458 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    and that is important why?
    because it's Microsoft announcing features that will be introduced into windows phones (a.k.a. Our HTC brethrens will also get them - when they actually get it is another issue). It's just "casually" mingled in a post introducing Lumia 925 so you may confuse it as a Lumia/nokia update.
  24. a5cent's Avatar

    Posts
    6,398 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,404 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Carpenter View Post
    Microsoft is smart because they are not wasting resources trying to satisfy the users that will NEVER be satisfied.
    Completely agree with all your statements Rob.

    People are entitled to their own opinions and should be able to freely state what they do and do not like. On the other hand, judging the work of people in a field they themselves have absolutely zero expertise in is pretty pathetic, but unfortunately also commonplace.
    Robert Carpenter likes this.
  25. a5cent's Avatar

    Posts
    6,398 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,404 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by fardream View Post
    because it's Microsoft announcing features that will be introduced into windows phones (a.k.a. Our HTC brethrens will also get them - when they actually get it is another issue). It's just "casually" mingled in a post introducing Lumia 925 so you may confuse it as a Lumia/nokia update.
    Okay. I think I read that same blog. The title of that section was: "WP8 update coming this summer", which seems pretty clear to me...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Someone has to call out Consumer Reports for its Apple love....I guess it will be me!
    By someoneinwa in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RT
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-05-2013, 09:30 AM
  2. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-30-2012, 08:22 AM
  3. Replies: 99
    Last Post: 09-27-2012, 11:57 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 03:12 AM
  5. If Mango fails will you keep it or ditch it???
    By sinlessearth in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05-30-2011, 12:05 PM

Posting Permissions