Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Happyslug's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    I have 4 email accounts which have all been setup on my Lumia 920.

    From the home page when I click o the mail logo - it takes me to the inbox of the default email account.

    I cannot see anyway to switch between each email account.

    I can 'link' the 4 email accounts - but I don't want to do this. Sure, this shows emails from all 4 accounts but jumbled together. Now when I create a new email it asks me which account to send it from.

    But that's not what I want.

    I have just come from an Iphone - which seperated out the accounts into seperate inbox

    Is this achievable in Windows 8?
  2. Curtieson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,366 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,375 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyslug View Post
    I have 4 email accounts which have all been setup on my Lumia 920.

    From the home page when I click o the mail logo - it takes me to the inbox of the default email account.

    I cannot see anyway to switch between each email account.

    I can 'link' the 4 email accounts - but I don't want to do this. Sure, this shows emails from all 4 accounts but jumbled together. Now when I create a new email it asks me which account to send it from.

    But that's not what I want.

    I have just come from an Iphone - which seperated out the accounts into seperate inbox

    Is this achievable in Windows 8?
    Take your iPhone hat off and your silo'd experience and THROW it away.

    To switch between different accounts, you click on the different Live Tiles. What I would do is rename all your emails like #Yahoo and #Outlook. So that way if you do not want to pin them to your start screen, to switch you just tap the Windows key, swipe right and they are all listed right there.
  3. gapost's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    788 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,879 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    You can look on your alphabetical programs list and it shows the name of each email account. You can, of course, pin those to the start screen. You don't say what email accounts you have, but personally, I run pop accounts through Outlook.com and set them to come in as they arrive. You can see these accounts in your main Microsoft email account under the menu buttons, and then folders. You can then pin each pop account from MS account to the main screen. Getting email as it arrives, is better on battery life.
  4. enthuz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    405 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Interesting question. I have been spoiled by this feature in GMail also. I have separate accounts for separate needs and love the way Google did it. I also have setup separate Outlook.com accounts hoping to do the same with WP8.

    I guess I can do the pin to home fix if it can't be done internally with Outlook app like GMail. I plan on moving all my mail to Outlook except for my Verizon account.
    Last edited by enthuz; 05-17-2013 at 12:48 PM.
  5. Squachy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    504 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    if you linked to the universal inbox, click the slider drawer at the bottom, go to folders and you can select the inbox for only the mail account you want to see.
    Curtieson and Happyslug like this.
  6. svenhassel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    247 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    I run pop accounts through Outlook.com and set them to come in as they arrive. You can see these accounts in your main Microsoft email account under the menu buttons, and then folders. You can then pin each pop account from MS account to the main screen. Getting email as it arrives, is better on battery life.
    Can you send answers to those pop e-mails accounts downloaded trough outlook.com, using the corresponding e-mail address, in the WP8 mail app?

    For example:
    - Have a POP account from yahoo downloaded at Outlook.com. Then answer the emails you receive from that account using the same address(yahoo, not outlook.com).

    I know that you can do this in outlook.com, but I couldnt do it at the WP8 mail app.
  7. realwarder's Avatar

    Posts
    3,445 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,446 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by svenhassel View Post
    Can you send answers to those pop e-mails accounts downloaded trough outlook.com, using the corresponding e-mail address, in the WP8 mail app?

    For example:
    - Have a POP account from yahoo downloaded at Outlook.com. Then answer the emails you receive from that account using the same address(yahoo, not outlook.com).

    I know that you can do this in outlook.com, but I couldnt do it at the WP8 mail app.
    What if you set the reply address on that account as the Yahoo email? Login can still be to MS. Does it allow you to send like that?
  8. Happyslug's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #8  
    I've tried clicking Windows key and swiping right but not joy.

    Also I don't want a tile for each of the mail boxes as this would take up too much space

    I have found a way though - i click on the email tile and it brings up the default email. Then the ribbon at the bottom I can flick it up, select 'folders', then select the relevant inbox.

    It's a bit long winded.

    But is so far the only annoyance I've found moving from my "solo'd" experience ;)

    There's a lot to like about Windows 8 - mainly the way it handles People, the feed from social networking (which was awful on Iphone) and the ability to group contacts into groups (amazed this is not on iphone)
    stmav likes this.
  9. Squachy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    504 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    you know what I just thought up.....In order to make the universal inbox more specific, when you get an email from whatever account sends you a new email, the live tile (aside from having the counter) should flip to the icon of the email account (if its from yahoo, it'll flip to its y logo, if its google, it'll flip to the g logo, if its outlook/Hotmail it'll flip to the outlook logo, if its some custom one (say a work email), it should flip showing the name of the account). If its multiple emails from different accounts, it should just flip amongst all of them randomly.
  10. chezm's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,356 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,538 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyslug View Post
    I

    Also I don't want a tile for each of the mail boxes as this would take up too much space
    Really? I have 4 inboxs setup on my phone as well, each has their own tile and picture so i can distinguish which is for each and how many new emails there are in each. For me, the tiles are a simple link...the main screen is purposely there to quickly scan all of your data. Its obviously your choice in the end, but your new method of having to open via folders sounds like a hassle.
  11. svenhassel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    247 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by realwarder View Post
    What if you set the reply address on that account as the Yahoo email? Login can still be to MS. Does it allow you to send like that?
    The problem with that system is that:
    - I dont want people to see the xxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.onmicrosoft.com address when they receive the e-mail. Its very long, and also confuses people.
    - You can only set only one "reply address", while I have several POP accounts in the outlook web app.

    Thanks anyway for the idea :)
  12. Curtieson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,366 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,375 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyslug View Post
    I've tried clicking Windows key and swiping right but not joy.

    Also I don't want a tile for each of the mail boxes as this would take up too much space
    You can make them tiny tiny...and 4 take up the space as 1 'normal' size one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Happyslug View Post
    I have found a way though - i click on the email tile and it brings up the default email. Then the ribbon at the bottom I can flick it up, select 'folders', then select the relevant inbox.
    Yep, I never knew that until Squachy said it. That is pretty slick!!! Glad you asked the Q, haha.

    Quote Originally Posted by Happyslug View Post
    But is so far the only annoyance I've found moving from my "solo'd" experience ;)
    I said "silo" as in a farm silo. I don't hear that term thrown around much anymore but that is how WP was described as being different when it was first released. Examples of the WP non-silo experience would be EXACTLY what you mentioned with how it deals with "People". Where as on the iPhone if you want to find out info on someone you have to go to the Facebook Silo and start drilling down into it.
  13. Happyslug's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #13  
    solo was a typo ;)

    I'm coming round to the idea of having 4 small buttons one for each inbox
  14. Rod Iron's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtieson View Post
    Take your iPhone hat off and your silo'd experience and THROW it away.

    To switch between different accounts, you click on the different Live Tiles. What I would do is rename all your emails like #Yahoo and #Outlook. So that way if you do not want to pin them to your start screen, to switch you just tap the Windows key, swipe right and they are all listed right there.
    And how do you rename those tiles??
  15. mpt15's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Iron View Post
    And how do you rename those tiles??
    to change the display name, go to Settings > email+accounts >
    here you can change the account name
    Last edited by mpt15; 08-25-2013 at 06:29 AM.
    mjoshi123 likes this.
  16. Rod Iron's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Thanks that worked like a charm.
  17. 11B1P's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,911 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by chezm View Post
    Really? I have 4 inboxs setup on my phone as well, each has their own tile and picture so i can distinguish which is for each and how many new emails there are in each. For me, the tiles are a simple link...the main screen is purposely there to quickly scan all of your data. Its obviously your choice in the end, but your new method of having to open via folders sounds like a hassle.
    Ok, I just added another alias to my MS account. Right now I get the same email in each email account. How can I set up my different email addresses so that only the email sent to that specific email address, receives the email?

    Example, email sent to account X does not go to Y and Z. Email sent to Y does not go to X and Z.

    If I link them, then I get the same email multiple times.

    Having 3 tiles to represent each email address is fine. Heck even linking them into one tile would be ok, provided the emails only appeared one time.

    Thanks.
  18. pdaneophyte's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Use email rules to receive each acount unduplicated & subscribe to an smtp server to send from each email address. Just search
    smtp server service.

    Sent from my RM-846_apac_indonesia_217 using Tapatalk
  19. 11B1P's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,911 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    Use email rules to receive each account unduplicated & subscribe to an smtp server to send from each email address. Just search
    smtp server service.

    Sent from my RM-846_apac_indonesia_217 using Tapatalk
    I'm guessing the "email rules to receive each account unduplicated" has to be accessed from a computer?

    And I'm not really interested in subscribing to a service. I would like to manage all of this natively, either via my computer or my 928.
  20. dkediger's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    638 Posts
    Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    Yeah - Linked Inboxes isn't really any different than IOS' universal inbox. Just different places to swipe.
  21. Jason Drum's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    211 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyslug View Post
    I have found a way though - i click on the email tile and it brings up the default email. Then the ribbon at the bottom I can flick it up, select 'folders', then select the relevant inbox.

    It's a bit long winded.
    Three presses is long winded?
  22. berty6294's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,339 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,354 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Drum View Post
    Three presses is long winded?
    I agree it is long winded... but that's why I pinned each inbox to my start screen.
  23. Jason Drum's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    211 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Then I'm curious what the alternative is. Have the folders already listed taking up half the screen?
  24. berty6294's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,339 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,354 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Drum View Post
    Then I'm curious what the alternative is. Have the folders already listed taking up half the screen?
    I can't really think of an alternative that fits WP design scheme except maybe have them listed directly in the app bar. Or a folder button directly on the app bar.
  25. Jason Drum's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    211 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    I'll give you the folder button on the app bar, but even then the only difference is one press. I hardly think that's a time waster, but to each his own.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How to Delete e-mail account?
    By dkflipse in forum HTC Radar
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-19-2014, 01:44 PM
  2. Ringtones per mail account
    By jleebiker in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 11:20 AM
  3. Help with E-mail account
    By RosscoPeecho in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-21-2011, 12:17 PM

Posting Permissions