Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
  1.    #1  
    Article

Important points:

GDR1 - GDR3 are primarily about bug fixes and adding smaller features requested by OEMs. No major new OS features can be expected from any of them.

GDR2 should bring "some much-needed Xbox music app fixes". If that is true, GDR2 will be the first version of WP8 that isn't a functional downgrade from WP7.

We could possibly get WPB and still not have VPN support.

Allegedly, the Windows Phone team thinks that the current base phone operating system is largely good enough for now.

Global Posts
    8,061 Global Posts
    The biggest fix I'm hoping for in Xbox Music is that damn split second skip when streaming, about 15 seconds before the next song comes on. It drives me crazy.

Still, the types of changes we're hearing about just don't sound like enough with so much needed in WP.
    Thanked by:
    jonathanrn likes this.

All the news i've read about GD2 has been pretty underwhelming so far, with Nokia (as usual) adding the more interesting features.

If Microsoft haven't added at least some of the top requested features over at the Uservoice site for Windows Phone, then more people are going to abandon Ship.

I would say the current base phone operating system has unfulfilled potential, but they certainly shouldn't be sitting around thinking it's 'good enough for now'.
    Thanked by:
    vish2801 and TheSuperject like this.
    Developer

Global Posts
    935 Global Posts
    Sounds awful. MS will lost market if they will only fix, but don't produce any new features.
    I don't care about Bugdriod, but if Apple will add a lot of new features in next OS/Iphone, I definitely will forget about MS forever as mobile OS company.
    Currently WP is like a big ill child. :(
    vish2801 and naw1 like this.

these are not big updates, they are intermediate fixes like Apples x.2 type releases. Blue is the next major update kinda like apples IOS7-IOS8-IOS9 etc.
    Laura Knotek, naw1 and sumton like this.

Global Posts
    2,269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
    these are not big updates, they are intermediate fixes like Apples x.2 type releases. Blue is the next major update kinda like apples IOS7-IOS8-IOS9 etc.
    I agree. These are not major updates they're just fixes. Also I would consider GDR3 a hardware update since its going to support 1080p and quad core etc.
    - Xbox Account: SocialDanny123 Twitter: @SuDanny123

Lived in LA USA now moved to Auckland New Zealand :-)

Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

[IMG][/IMG]
    Bartdog likes this.
  7.    #7  
    I was expecting a bit more than just fixes and an updated chassis spec. Not a lot more, since I understand they are still primarily working on low level OS integration tasks, but nevertheless more.

It feels like WP8, at the end of 2013 and from a consumers point of view, will be no further along than WP7 was.

Their rediculously stupid shut-up mantra isn't helping me figure out where WP is going either, so I'm ever less certain what MS' vision for WP is, and and if the potential I see will ever be realized.
    Thanked by:
    vish2801, naw1 and Jupast like this.

Some people come out and say "Oh well they're going at the same pace or even slightly faster than Apple and Android". Trouble is, they're not Apple or Android, so they need to be going faster, those two are coming up to lap Windows Phone.

The features that people are crying out for on the Uservoice site need to be pushed out, not waiting almost another year for the next 'big' update. I'm willing to stick with Windows Phone, but for a lot of people this will all be too little too late.

"Good enough for now" ? Oh man.... That sounds like we're not going to get a bunch of features we asked for. I guess I'll have to see what the next version of IOS brings before deciding if I want to keep my WP.

I'm not going to defend MS on this one...so..WTF are they thinking?!
    Thanked by:
    maj71303, vish2801, naw1 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupast View Post
    Some people come out and say "Oh well they're going at the same pace or even slightly faster than Apple and Android". Trouble is, they're not Apple or Android, so they need to be going faster, those two are coming up to lap Windows Phone.

The features that people are crying out for on the Uservoice site need to be pushed out, not waiting almost another year for the next 'big' update. I'm willing to stick with Windows Phone, but for a lot of people this will all be too little too late.
    I would rather the updates be done right, than rushed out the door and done half assed.
    Thanked by:
    HaibaneReki likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
    I would rather the updates be done right, than rushed out the door and done half assed.
    well they can do things such as recruiting more employees or merging windows and wp team so then the improvements can be done faster

The windows team has their hands full at the moment doing the updates for blue, And it would take some time to find qualified people to work on the Windows phone development team. either / or it will take time.

Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    Allegedly, the Windows Phone team thinks that the current base phone operating system is largely good enough for now.
    Someone needs to be smack in the face with a cat with sharp claws.
    Thanked by:
    naw1 likes this.

im not expecting any major features from GDR1 - GDR2 - GDR3 they are called minor updates for a reason but im expecting a lot of features from Blue since its a major update and before they add any major features there is a need for making the OS solid as a rock, when they finally accomplish that goal then they can put what ever they want
    GearDoGi likes this.

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    If this entire year will be solely maintenance, Blue better be big. Myerson called Windows Phone the startup within Microsoft, but startups don't sit complacent. Unless he meant that his team was startup-sized…
    a5cent and naw1 like this.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    Blue better be big, if this entire year will be solely maintenance. Myerson called Windows Phone the startup within Microsoft, but startups don't sit complacent. Unless he meant that his team was startup-sized…
    "I Contribute to the Windows Kernel. We Are Slower Than Other Operating Systems. Here Is Why." - Zorinaq
    Thanked by:
    a5cent 
    Banned

Lool come on Microsoft -_-

Global Posts
    941 Global Posts
    If the other storage issue is fixed completely that'll be a great start for me! And when I say fixed, I mean the ability to retrieve the GBs lost and the problem not return in the future...ever! Lol! :)

whatever the reason is, they need to speed things up. The world is not waiting.
    Thanked by:
  21.    #21  
    So true... all of it :-(

Although more related to the performance of W8 than the performance of their engineering teams.
    Last edited by a5cent; 05-19-2013 at 07:33 AM.
    Let's refrain from posting insults and other nonsensical things that don't contribute to the topic at hand.

I think MS is doing fine with the updates, we are getting 3 in one year including one big one. I feel that blue for the most part will bring in all the requested features. WP is stronger than ever now and things can only go upward rather than down.

Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    [WARN] Let's refrain from posting insults and other nonsensical things that don't contribute to the topic at hand. [/WARN]

I think MS is doing fine with the updates, we are getting 3 in one year including one big one. I feel that blue for the most part will bring in all the requested features. WP is stronger than ever now and things can only go upward rather than down.
    we have small chance to receive the blue this year

And regarding to "we are getting the requested features", Mary Jo said we don't even seem getting VPN by early 2014 which is the wp blue debut (the worst case)
  24.    #24  
    To clarify, I wasn't expecting major features from these interim updates either. I was expecting at least a few superficial things though. Things that didn't go any deeper than the UI, such as better volume control or a somewhat more feature rich IE UI. At the top of this year I assumed that the quickened release schedule was at least in part to add such features (and obviously bug fixes), as WP8 was no doubt released on a very tough time schedule.

I didn't create this thread as another place to complain about MS slow progress. Like I said, much of this is due to MS still adjusting the foundation. While the foundation is still being reengineered, it simply isn't possible to efficiently build more on top of it. The number of employees assigned to that task doesn't change much. I've personally worked on projects where adding more employees, in an attempt to accelerate the pace, achieved nothing but to make things even worse. Most industry veterans will tell you that is the rule, not the exception. Software development isn't comparable to an infinitely scalable assembly line.

I'm more interested in what you guys assume MS is thinking at this point? How do you imagine they manage priorities? How do you think MS would describe WP's target audience, and do you think we are in it?

I know that is all speculation. I don't think we can really judge until WPB is released. Unfortunately, speculate is all we can do.
    Banned

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    I thought Microsoft 'ran out of time' for the notification center. It's been like 8 months now, I wonder by what amount did they run out of time.
    naw1 likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast