Confused about CalDAV and CardDAV support

strokee

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I've read articles regarding the upcoming CalDAV and CardDAV support/updates coming to WP8 this summer. This will allow individuals to continue to sync Google mail, calendars, etc to their WP8 devices. It also says that Microsoft will not allow CalDAV and/or CardDAV support for new google calendars/email synced after January of 2013.

I started a new job in February and have synced my work calendar (google) and gmail account to my 8x. Does this mean that come July 31, 2013 (even with CalDAV and CardDAV) I will NOT be able to get them to synce to my phone?

I'm confused...this could be EXTREMELY inconvenient for me.

eeewing

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
They'll work fine on your phone, but you'll need to update your settings to use imap for email, CardDAV for contacts, and CalDAV for calendars once the Windows Phone update is released that supports those. Meanwhile, Microsoft has *not* agreed to implement CardDAV and CalDAV support in Windows 8, so your accounts won't sync inside of that OS's mail app. Maybe those two announcements were what you were thinking of?

strokee

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Despite 'spring cleaning,' Google CalDAV support still coming to Windows Phone

The engadget article is confusing. It says:

"Early this year, Google announced it would extend support for Exchange ActiveSync on Windows Phone through July 31st, with the implication being that Redmond would build support for CalDAV in the meantime. Luckily Microsoft's work was not for nothing, though -- and this is a big though -- the Windows team won't be adding CalDAV or CarDAV support for users trying to connect a Google account via Mail, Calendar or People apps after January 30th, 2013."

I have read the same thing in other articles, as well. It seems to indicate that any accounts that existed prior to February 2013 will sync...but nothing after. That quote also doesn't specifically mention a distinction between WP8 and W8. Very confusing...

strokee

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Despite 'spring cleaning,' Google CalDAV support still coming to Windows Phone

The engadget article is confusing. It says:

"Early this year, Google announced it would extend support for Exchange ActiveSync on Windows Phone through July 31st, with the implication being that Redmond would build support for CalDAV in the meantime. Luckily Microsoft's work was not for nothing, though -- and this is a big though -- the Windows team won't be adding CalDAV or CarDAV support for users trying to connect a Google account via Mail, Calendar or People apps after January 30th, 2013."

I have read the same thing in other articles, as well. It seems to indicate that any accounts that existed prior to February 2013 will sync...but nothing after. That quote also doesn't specifically mention a distinction between WP8 and W8. Very confusing...

Oops. I guess the reference to "Windows Team" is a distinction between "Windows Phone Team." My bad, lol...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2