Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The famous Nokia sleeping screen
20130529_c9ddf7a5f526ce4ba6339EVM8Vkv8Je8.jpg

FM tuner
20130529_361c7436cbd1628f7173LzzdTJdUqdej.jpg

Color management, read: saturation, color temp
20130529_3d05b6b2bcc97134e6ec7uxv4aewGUzz.jpg20130529_c1466dc598366a47d0401Dhldybo2Z2h.jpg

Double tap wakeup (ticked box)
20130529_27353a7aec9c5d2f81ddllZMLn34HAnG.jpg

Data control
20130529_d9e96f193d7be7a287dd79p9peucIYzq.jpg

Data control, read: not specified, monthly prepaid, monthly, not limited
20130529_e8505d37da27837cc617n4D4g44MnYMD.jpg

Data control graph and summary
20130529_e5e27463c82c253a8350z4Mr7UPPP1YJ.jpg

Flip to silent (last option in the menu)
20130529_88e7e424582dfc72d9c9p6OwB8wOe1Pm.jpg

IE security enhance, from the last ticked box upwards, read: do not track, "smart screen" protection, feedback history to bing for service improvement, send URL to minimize data (dont understand???), bing suggestion in search box.
20130529_56ad9287dcad67f9ddd42DLq2Qql231Q.jpg

ISO up to 3200
20130529_09f0ce8325fa8dccbbfeNqgSjGqnDVjl.jpg

Nokia smart cam
20130529_50c077e1d3a4ceb09680uXxmNcMnNACB.jpg

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure this is GDR2 and not simply Nokia Amber? I thought fixes for the Xbox music and possibly the 'Other' storage where in there as well.

Does the Sleeping Screen have notifications like it did on Symbian?

Nice to see some new features though.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure this is GDR2 and not simply Nokia Amber? I thought fixes for the Xbox music and possibly the 'Other' storage where in there as well.

Does the Sleeping Screen have notifications like it did on Symbian?

Nice to see some new features though.
Amber is the Lumia version of the GDR2, which can be another way of name this thread.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
If this is really GDR2, its awful. 6 months to add Flip to silence!??? Is it very hard to implement feature?
Nothing interesting. Seems MS doesn't care about WP at all.
At the time when we receive file manager inside WP, competitors (iSO and Android) will have teleporter inside.

kokola95

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Do not track for IE is like incognito in Google chrome right?

Seems this hasn't revealed the whole gdr2, MS promised for the xbox music improvements and hundreds of bug fixes they said. But great post! Thanks!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Amber is the Lumia version of the GDR2, which can be another way of name this thread.

That was not my understanding. GDR2 is from MS and Amber is from Nokia. I know that Nokia said they will be released at the same time but as far as I knew GDR2 will be a MS release which will fix bugs in the OS and other MS apps. That's why I was asking.

From what I've seen here I see no indication of that only Nokia Amber. It's possible that Nokia has brought in the flip to silence.

Unless the sleeping screen has notifications it's rather pointless. The new camera app looks promising though.

I'll also add my disdain that if this is GDR2 then I'm so not impressed.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That was not my understanding. GDR2 is from MS and Amber is from Nokia. I know that Nokia said they will be released at the same time but as far as I knew GDR2 will be a MS release which will fix bugs in the OS and other MS apps. That's why I was asking.

From what I've seen here I see no indication of that only Nokia Amber. It's possible that Nokia has brought in the flip to silence.

Unless the sleeping screen has notifications it's rather pointless. The new camera app looks promising though.

I'll also add my disdain that if this is GDR2 then I'm so not impressed.

Sleeping screen shows notification if you even bother to look into what is a Nokia Sleeping screen.

This involve also the relationship of Nokia and MS, the difference between OS and firmware, and some fundamental knowledge about programing. You will then understand why GDR2 is from MS and Amber is from Nokia but Lumias receive Amber aka GDR2 from Nokia.

From what it looks like other than IE security and FM tuner, everything shown here is Nokia exclusive add-on, hence the title a Lumia GDR2.
And I did not claim this is what GDR2 is all about.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Sleeping screen shows notification if you even bother to look into what is a Nokia Sleeping screen.

First I do know what a Nokia Sleeping screen is I used to own a N8. No need to be snarky.

This involve also the relationship of Nokia and MS, the difference between OS and firmware, and some fundamental knowledge about programing. You will then understand why GDR2 is from MS and Amber is from Nokia but Lumias receive Amber aka GDR2 from Nokia.

From what it looks like other than IE security and FM tuner, everything shown here is Nokia exclusive add-on, hence the title a Lumia GDR2.
And I did not claim this is what GDR2 is all about.

My point was that GDR2 is associated with the OS update, as you have stated. Amber is the Nokia update. Nothing in your pictures have indicated any of the bug fixes that supposedly comes with GDR2 which is why I was asking a question. Calling the Amber update GDR2 will only confuse people. If you have information on GDR2 other than what Amber brings people would like to know.

Also I am not attacking you I'm asking for clarification. Understand the difference.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
First I do know what a Nokia Sleeping screen is I used to own a N8. No need to be snarky.

My point was that GDR2 is associated with the OS update, as you have stated. Amber is the Nokia update. Nothing in your pictures have indicated any of the bug fixes that supposedly comes with GDR2 which is why I was asking a question. Calling the Amber update GDR2 will only confuse people. If you have information on GDR2 other than what Amber brings people would like to know.

Also I am not attacking you I'm asking for clarification. Understand the difference.
Well my apologize.
Nokia had been calling their updates in female name for sometime in the last of the Symbian days and again my believe tells me that they are ready to move the legacy naming into the Lumia era.

Just like portico, if you go to your device info menu you will see "Portico" but fw version and numbering differ from one brand to another. Now again is my believe that with the push of GDR2, Nokia will rename their on push to Amber instead of plain GDR2 or whatever ends with an "o".

And why I believe this is true? As you can see these are modification into the OS root menu. Its exactly like how they have here maps built in but require update right out of the box. And later portico v3 with the other storage and network+ apn function.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Well my apologize.
Nokia had been calling their updates in female name for sometime in the last of the Symbian days and again my believe tells me that they are ready to move the legacy naming into the Lumia era.

Just like portico, if you go to your device info menu you will see "Portico" but fw version and numbering differ from one brand to another. Now again is my believe that with the push of GDR2, Nokia will rename their on push to Amber instead of plain GDR2 or whatever ends with an "o".

And why I believe this is true? As you can see these are modification into the OS root menu. Its exactly like how they have here maps built in but require update right out of the box. And later portico v3 with the other storage and network+ apn function.

First, apology accepted.

After doing some searching online I see that the pictures do indeed show off some of the MS GDR2 update (though MS is not calling it GDR2) and Amber. Of course the pictures are not capturing all the updates which is why it was a touch confusing. As for the names of the updates and whether there's two updates or one it's all very confusing. You're probably right in that MS has allowed Nokia to put the GDR2 update in it's Amber update, which is why we'll only get the 'Amber' update if you own a Lumia.

I guess we'll have to see what else comes out of this update when it's finally out. I know it's not supposed to be much but any improvement is better than none. The one thing that is annoying is that the 'Blue' update probably won't be until next year now, though they may surprise us.

Rindika Fanai

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Expected More Than this... we need a sound profile,brightness slider for god's sake,a file manager and the ability to send files without the need to turn on the Bluetooth first .. and lastly fix the annoying duplicate files.. duplicate photos and videos are there every where on my phone.. suckz !! :(

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Expected More Than this... we need a sound profile,brightness slider for god's sake,a file manager and the ability to send files without the need to turn on the Bluetooth first .. and lastly fix the annoying duplicate files.. duplicate photosa and videos are there every where on my phone.. suckz !! :(

MS has stated from the get go that this will only be a small update but will fix the duplicate files issue. The pictures above do not tell the whole story and also shows some of the Amber update but probably not all of it. I'm hoping the 'Other' files will be sorted as well.

As for the rest of the things you want, if any of those come about it will be in Blue and probably not anytime sooner. My understanding is the these 'GDR' updates are only bug fixes not OS overhauls. Also any of those features you want may not come at all, we have no idea what MS has planned.

Johannespreekt

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Rumours are that GDR3 is a bigger update and will bring some more features. The Blue update is expected in February so that will take some time.

Its going slowly but better!

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Something worth pointing out here is that those screen shots are obviously on a Chinese Lumia so not all of those features are guaranteed to find their way onto non Chinese devices. For example, the Chinese variant of the 920 has had a call blocker built in from launch but the Global variant of the 920 hasn't. We will just have to wait and see what features us non-Chinese Lumia owners will get.

Maceo3121

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Lets clear things up:

Nokia Amber = GDR2 + Nokia Firmware/Camera Customisations

At no point has MS indicated GDR2 was going to be a significant feature update. Seriously people what were you thinking? Your expectations have been fed by rumours and speculation. If you dont like it then you better off with Android or iphone. The following about Nokia Amber is confirmed:

- Enhanced camera firmware and SmartCam app
- Flip to silence
- Double tap to wake
- FM Tuner
- International Podcast Support
- CardDAV and CalDAV support
- Sleeping Clock
- Colour Management
- Datasense enabled for a handful of other carriers

There may be some other minor enhancements like the IE privacy control but dont expect anything major folks. You have been warned.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb