Silverlight on Nokia Lumia 820

sidhabo

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi
Newbie to this forum. Seems like it is live and well :)
Just bought my mobile in title. Need to run app that is dependent on Silverlight.
But I can't get it to run since it complains I need to have Silverlight installed on my phone.
This was when I googled to a site with links to "test" Silverlight
Been googeling a couple of days now on that. An got confused.
1 Is my phone supposed to be able to run silverlight apps from box ?
2 If not, how the heck do you get Silverlight on my mobile
3 Is Silverlight only for Desktops ??

Some googles says my mobile can not run Silverlight, other say yes it can :unhappysweat:
Only thing i found was an exe file to download and install Silverlight.
But my phone didn't like exe files ......
I'm a little newbie to mobile and apps overall he he
Installing Silverlight on my desktop comp. was fine

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi
Newbie to this forum. Seems like it is live and well :)
Just bought my mobile in title. Need to run app that is dependent on Silverlight.
But I can't get it to run since it complains I need to have Silverlight installed on my phone.
This was when I googled to a site with links to "test" Silverlight
Been googeling a couple of days now on that. An got confused.
1 Is my phone supposed to be able to run silverlight apps from box ?
2 If not, how the heck do you get Silverlight on my mobile
3 Is Silverlight only for Desktops ??

Some googles says my mobile can not run Silverlight, other say yes it can :unhappysweat:
Only thing i found was an exe file to download and install Silverlight.
But my phone didn't like exe files ......
I'm a little newbie to mobile and apps overall he he
Installing Silverlight on my desktop comp. was fine

What app are you trying to install? I believe Silverlight is a legacy of WP7. WP8 doesn't use it in the same way.

sidhabo

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for fast response N_LaRUE :)
I go to Get Silverlight | Microsoft Silverlight
That gives me:
"You are running on a browser that may not be fully compatible wiht Microsoft Silverlight . You can still try to install ..... "
Seems like that site is more for desktop computers.
When I go there with my desktop comp (Win 7 Enterprise) it confirm I got Silverlight ok, version .....
Thanks
Bosse

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for fast response N_LaRUE :)
I go to Get Silverlight | Microsoft Silverlight
That gives me:
"You are running on a browser that may not be fully compatible wiht Microsoft Silverlight . You can still try to install ..... "
Seems like that site is more for desktop comuters.
When I go there with my comp it confirm I got Silverlight ok, version .....
Thanks
Bosse

You still didn't say what app you were trying to run, there may be a WP8 version or something compatible. I would recommend sticking to WP8 apps as you're less likely to run into issues like this.

sidhabo

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Well, the thing is .. the app I want to use is still pending release. So I'm just preparing to be ready for running Silverlight apps. once it get released.
But OK, I'll try find any other app using Silverlight that is for WP8 that I can test run. Any you know of ?
I did try some other app but I forgot were I found it :) So I don't know if that was WP8 compatible ...
Thanks

sidhabo

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Well, the thing is .. the app I want to use is still pending release. So I'm just preparing to be ready for running Silverlight apps. once it get released.
But OK, I'll try find any other app using Silverlight that is for WP8 that I can test run. Any you know of ?
I did try some other app but I forgot were I found it :) So I don't know if that was WP8 compatible ...
Thanks

sidhabo

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Just found this:
Current version of Silverlight does not run under 64-bit browsers. You need to use a 32-bits browser

So is my WP8 browser running in 64-bit ??
If yes can I run it in 32-bit ?
Thanks

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
OK there seems to be some sort of confusion here.

Let's clear things up. There is no plug-in for Windows Phone 8 for Silverlight. You can produce Windows Phone 8 apps with Silverlight 5.

Windows Phone 7 used Silverlight and .net technology as part of it's OS. Windows Phone 8 is NT based. The IE browser is the same kernel on WP8 as W8.

Apparently you can watch Silverlight videos in WP8 IE browser but I'm uncertain of anything else.

Stick to installing only Windows Phone 8 apps only. You could have issues using WP7 apps.

sidhabo

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
OK there seems to be some sort of confusion here.
True, That's where I'm stuck he he , but learning ...

Let's clear things up. There is no plug-in for Windows Phone 8 for Silverlight. You can produce Windows Phone 8 apps with Silverlight 5.

Windows Phone 7 used Silverlight and .net technology as part of it's OS. Windows Phone 8 is NT based. The IE browser is the same kernel on WP8 as W8.

Apparently you can watch Silverlight videos in WP8 IE browser but I'm uncertain of anything else.

Stick to installing only Windows Phone 8 apps only. You could have issues using WP7 apps.
Still on 0 on
1 Howto get my mobile to run Silverlight applications
2 ... or maybe a solid way to test this
Eventually when "my" application get released 2 will be solved. Is it working , yes or no.
Tried to test other browsers. But what I can find no other browser than IE is supported. Is that so, or have I just googeled too old info.
Thanks a lot for feedback so far. Let you know how it goes when I can test "my" app.
Cheers
Bosse

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

sidhabo

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
That "my" app is not made by me :) So no, I'm not developer .
Thanks for update on browser. Guess I'll find them now when I had confirmation they are out there
First try I ended up with Chinese Chrome ha ha ha
Cheers
Bosse

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Try UC browser.

I'm guessing that the app you want to use is native to your country? I'm guessing you're trying to install a WP7 app that doesn't work on WP8 which is why you're having difficulties. If you could somehow relay what it is the app does for you I might be able to suggest an alternative.

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
If you are trying to open a website that uses Silverlight (similar to websites that use Flash, Java, etc.), you cannot do that on your Lumia 820. This is because the Windows Phone browser does not support plug-ins. Developers can also use Silverlight to make apps, and users can download these apps through the Store. But that's different from the Silverlight plug-in on websites. Hope this makes sense.

sidhabo

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
You might be right ousooner314 . Think it's a Silverlight based website.
Sorry if I was misleading by talking about app all the time. Was just thinking I had to find an app that would enable Silverlight ...
They launched the start page today. So that works in my WP8.
Maybe Silverlight is just fine from the box in my mobile :smile:
Here is the site:
http://www.projectxiii.com/

All the same I learned a lot about my mobile from you guys. Thanks. This is the best forum :smile:
Let you know when the site goes fully operational ... if my Silverlight status is still what I need
Cheers
Bosse

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12