SOS, The Temporary files have suddenly consumed 1.5 GB

deepteesh dey

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Its bit of situation with my 720. The Temporary files have suddenly consumed 1.5 GB and using storage app does not free anything below 1.5GB. Have hardly any space left on the phone to work for my voice recording tomorrow. Other section consumed about 1GB.
I have tried 2apps which claim to free up spaces from the others section, did not help.

Help Help Help.

Deepteesh.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You can try a few steps, and I just checked it's 2.1GB on my device. I know this a serious issue on 4GB devices. I don't understand how someone can work on such low memory devices. Someone should have common sense while releasing such devices.
Clear whatsapp storage and other chat apps
Deactivate the auto-upload feature. (to skydrive and others)
Check which apps are consuming most space in the app details tab in the storage check app
try to soft reset your phone at least once (which seems to be the default final solution to everything on wp... :D)

Finally if nothing works a factory reset should be done it will free up all the crap that has been collecting.

It is a known issue and you will find many threads relating to this

https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/statuses/307909297231253504

rob45

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I have been using the app, Storage Cleaner. It seems to work well. It is a bit confusing as while running storage space decreases to the point where you get a low storage warning. However once it completes and you do a restart it shows the changes which are usually quite a bit (1-4 GB) of storage space recovered. Shrink Storage works the same. They are both free.

deepteesh dey

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Now the "temporary files" shows 1.7GB and "Others" 1GB, total 2.7 GB is occupied by ghosts and leaving me 200MB free. I have deleted few apps but Temp Files have consumed 200MB more, recall day before yesterday I reported 1.5GB?

Thanks for your suggestions but none worked for me. I had already tried
1. Deleting IE cache
2. Running 2 apps to take care of "Others" section
3. One of the above apps "storage cleaner" report temp = 0 and not 1.7GB??????
4. disabled auto upload to skydrive; I do not have whatsup installed (but have skype, wechat installed)
5. Soft reset couple of time

Only Hard Reset is pending; I have never done it before, what backup do I need to ensure before hard resetting to factory settings??

:(

Deepteesh

Arjun KR

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
One more thing I have noticed is if you uninstall any app it won't be wiped of from your device completely,it gets accumulated in other storage part.
Couple of days ago I had installed Man of steel app,when it asked me to update it since new version was available,I tapped update button,its quiet a big app in terms of size(45MB) half way while updating I thought to stop it and remove it completely from my phone so I did,2 days later I tried to install that app again,surprisingly download got resumed from where I left it before rather than starting again.

PS: I had cleared temp files via storage check

deepteesh dey

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I had to play hard, yep hard reset!

It had few hiccups to get the phone back to metro but it did solve the issue for now. It took about about 1.5hours to get the gears vanish. One point though, not all the apps could download automatically (I had switched to wifi, the default is Mobile data connection) and per app personal setting, notes, todos, diaries.... they are lost.

Present Status:
Apps: 1.5GB
Temporary Files: 21MB
System: 1.9GB
Others: 325MB
Looks cool yep?

So I believe, if I continue as I did for the last couple of week my temporary files and Others will grow again.... and folks unless nokia/microsoft do something fortnightly hard reset is the key!!

Anyone top of the branch listening??

Thanks

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
One more thing I have noticed is if you uninstall any app it won't be wiped of from your device completely,it gets accumulated in other storage part.
Couple of days ago I had installed Man of steel app,when it asked me to update it since new version was available,I tapped update button,its quiet a big app in terms of size(45MB) half way while updating I thought to stop it and remove it completely from my phone so I did,2 days later I tried to install that app again,surprisingly download got resumed from where I left it before rather than starting again.

PS: I had cleared temp files via storage check

The other day I had to install the FREE version of N.O.V.A. 3 on my 820. Just couldnt cause of what you have just said. Sucks to be honest.

deepteesh dey

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Few good things that has happen post hard reset is
1. Battery performance improved
2. No more daily freezing for one or two times (few auto restarts happens though)
3. Seems responsiveness increased a bit..

:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99