Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
Like Tree23Likes
  1. RahulRana's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
       #1  
    just can wish all these thing coming too windows phone soon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7.jpg   8.jpg   0wddvqz.jpg   cmg5kvl.png   2.jpg  

    3.jpg   4.png   5.png   6.jpg  
    Thanked by:
    vish2801 and rikipy like this.
  2. Jazmac's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,112 Posts
    #2  
    No telling what we're going to see in the next update. Lot of teasers but no one knows.
    Thanked by:
    RahulRana likes this.
  3. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,382 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    #3  
    I continue to take issue with the notification centre being placed to the right of the task switcher. No, it's not one swipe away, it includes a long press that I'd bet many users don't even know about, let alone use. If you've actually thought about using it, it's far more clunky than any other implementation – next to the tiles, launched from a tile or swiped down from the top. You've kind of dumped a little too much into the task switcher in general. For example, we have a hardware search button so there's no reason why universal search should be in the task switcher. As for IE, I'm not sure how I feel about triple tap, and back + forward need to be on the app bar, simple and plain. Don't think find on page and recent need to be that prominent.

    Pretty darn sweet concepts you've got in there, though. I like a lot of them.
    Thanked by:
    vish2801 and RahulRana like this.
  4. #4  
    I always felt that the notification center should be accessed by the double tapping of the home button.
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
    Thanked by:
  5. Gaichuke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    288 Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    I continue to take issue with the notification centre being placed to the right of the task switcher. No, it's not one swipe away, it includes a long press that I'd bet many users don't even know about, let alone use. If you've actually thought about using it, it's far more clunky than any other implementation next to the tiles, launched from a tile or swiped down from the top. You've kind of dumped a little too much into the task switcher in general.
    I strongly disagree. Accessing task switcher screen and the notifications within is not particularly fast implementation option, but then again there's no real need for urgency accessing them either. It's far more important to be able to access them without interruptions to the general user experience. Accessing task switcher happens without visual interruptions (like transition through black which happens when start button is tapped) and the back stack will make sure that you're only one back tap away from the screen you were in before you went to the notifications.
    Jazmac likes this.
  6. raccoon210's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    246 Posts
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by berty6294 View Post
    I always felt that the notification center should be accessed by the double tapping of the home button.
    That is just about the best idea I've heard for the notification center!
  7. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,382 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaichuke View Post
    I strongly disagree. Accessing task switcher screen and the notifications within is not particularly fast implementation option, but then again there's no real need for urgency accessing them either. It's far more important to be able to access them without interruptions to the general user experience.
    And you base this on what? People are asking for a notification centre, because they want notifications fast and easy. The two leading mobile platforms place a huge emphasis on quick access. Why should Windows Phone, the "glance and go" OS, be worse? Android even sticks the specific notifications in the status bar. It sounds like you are making an argument for static icons over Live Tiles and lock screen notifications.
  8. Gaichuke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    288 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    And you base this on what? People are asking for a notification centre, because they want notifications fast and easy. The two leading mobile platforms place a huge emphasis on quick access. Why should Windows Phone, the "glance and go" OS, be worse? Android even sticks the specific notifications in the status bar. It sounds like you are making an argument for static icons over Live Tiles and lock screen notifications.
    For urgent notifications and immediate access, WP has toast notifications for that purpose. Because of that, there's no real reason having speed as a priority number one when considering notification center for Windows Phone, especially when we are considering a difference of about one second after all. Task switcher screen implementation offers enough other benefits to justify the lost second easily.
    RahulRana likes this.
  9. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,382 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaichuke View Post
    For urgent notifications and immediate access, WP has toast notifications for that purpose. Because of that, there's no real reason having speed as a priority number one when considering notification center for Windows Phone, especially when we are considering a difference of about one second after all. Task switcher screen implementation offers enough other benefits to justify the lost second easily.
    Sorry, but are you being serious? You realise Android and iOS have push notifications too, right? And by all reports, they are far more reliable than Windows Phone's toasts. You also realise that one of the primary reasons for requesting a notification centre is because a 5 second notification is easily missed? On Android and iOS, your missed push notifications aren't a problem because of the notification centre. On Windows Phone, you're screwed.
    Thanked by:
    vish2801 and RahulRana like this.
  10. Gaichuke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    288 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    Sorry, but are you being serious? You realise Android and iOS have push notifications too, right? And by all reports, they are far more reliable than Windows Phone's toasts. You also realise that one of the primary reasons for requesting a notification centre is because a 5 second notification is easily missed? On Android and iOS, your missed push notifications aren't a problem because of the notification centre. On Windows Phone, you're screwed.
    There's something clearly being misunderstood in here, let me try again.

    My point is that since toast notifications already provide a quick and immediate access to the notifications, there is no particular need for WP notification centre to have fast access to it as a design priority number one since toast notifications cover that already.
    RahulRana likes this.
  11. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,382 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaichuke View Post
    There's something clearly being misunderstood in here, let me try again.

    My point is that since toast notifications already provide a quick and immediate access to the notifications, there is no particular need for WP notification centre to have fast access to it as a design priority number one since toast notifications cover that already.
    That's an invalid point. Toast notifications are not unique to Windows Phone. Every other platform has them. Every other platform also has a notification centre, because it's ridiculous to expect users to be on their phones every second of the day to catch every 5-second toast. Users of other platforms get easy access to notifications to check if there is something they missed. Windows Phone users currently have no such luxury, and you're proposing to actively ignore such an important feature.
    Thanked by:
  12. benrp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    105 Posts
    #12  
    Nice, I do think tabs in ie need rethinking and I like your idea.
  13. Gaichuke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    288 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    That's an invalid point. Toast notifications are not unique to Windows Phone. Every other platform has them. Every other platform also has a notification centre, because it's ridiculous to expect users to be on their phones every second of the day to catch every 5-second toast. Users of other platforms get easy access to notifications to check if there is something they missed. Windows Phone users currently have no such luxury, and you're proposing to actively ignore such an important feature.
    No it isn't and no I'm not. I want WP to have a notification centre, because toast notifications are not enough for a complete notification system. I'm just arguing that any platform that has a toast notification system don't necessarily have to emphasize a speedy access to the notification centre, since the speedy access is already there from the toasts. The two systems can work in a complementary fashion.
    Thanked by:
    Jazmac and RahulRana like this.
  14. Scottishkitteh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #14  
    I really want notification center. Its true that Live Tiles was made to somehow replace notification center but if possible I do not want to clutter my home screen with all apps just for the sake getting a glace at a toast. Oh, another feature that's missing right now is 'hide the keyboard'. ITS HUGE, blocking half the screen and sometimes I cannot select the typing field behind it.
    Thanked by:
    RahulRana likes this.
  15. LMZR's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,649 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,742 Global Posts
    #15  
    These are pretty impressive.
    Proud owner of a Nokia Lumia 1520 in Black! :)

    My YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/MickLMZR
    Thanked by:
    RahulRana likes this.
  16. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,382 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaichuke View Post
    I'm just arguing that any platform that has a toast notification system don't necessarily have to emphasize a speedy access to the notification centre, since the speedy access is already there from the toasts.
    All your previous posts were very specific to Windows Phone. I find it hard to believe this was your original argument, but I'll take your word for it. Again, all competing platforms prioritise notifications. Windows Phone is about "glance and go" – providing information quickly and simply. Why did Microsoft add lock screen notifications to Windows Phone 8? Surely, the toast notifications for SMS and Skype would be enough, right? No, of course not.

    Toasts appear for a few seconds. It is simply ridiculous to call that sufficient for quick access.
    That's poor justification for complicating the heck out of the aggregation service (notification centre). In fact, there is little reason to de-emphasise ease of use for any aspect of Windows Phone, let alone for a core feature like a notification centre.

    I get it, you like the task switcher implementation. That's fine, but you don't have to pull arguments out of thin air to support your preference. "Without interruptions to the general user experience" is baseless considering Windows Phone is the odd one out without a swipe-down notification centre. And perhaps you forget that the task switcher wasn't even in the original release of the OS. Why was the addition of the task switcher an acceptable interruption, insofar that you want to dump everything in there, whereas a different access method for the notification centre isn't?
  17. Gaichuke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    288 Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    Toasts appear for a few seconds. It is simply ridiculous to call that sufficient for quick access. That's poor justification for complicating the heck out of the aggregation service (notification centre). In fact, there is little reason to de-emphasise ease of use for any aspect of Windows Phone, let alone for a core feature like a notification centre.
    There is no de-emphasis of anything in my arguments. Remember, it's still as fast as switching between applications.

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    I get it, you like the task switcher implementation. That's fine, but you don't have to pull arguments out of thin air to support your preference. "Without interruptions to the general user experience" is baseless considering Windows Phone is the odd one out without a swipe-down notification centre. And perhaps you forget that the task switcher wasn't even in the original release of the OS. Why was the addition of the task switcher an acceptable interruption, insofar that you want to dump everything in there, whereas a different access method for the notification centre isn't?
    I think it's pretty rude to call my argument baseless or something summoned out from thin air just because you don't understand it.

    I think there's real benefit in the task switcher implementation because there are no visual interruptions between application and notification centre if it's inside the task switcher screen. And there isn't. The zoom effect that occurs after the long press takes the user outside of the application they were using and keeps the original application visible through the whole transition. No visual interruptions. User is now outside the application, it's very obvious for an user now that they are now dealing with information from another applications. Accessing notification centre takes the same time as switching between applications. How exactly are these baseless arguments?

    Swipe-down notification centre is very inconvenient gesture, especially when the screen sizes keep on increasing. I would not consider that one a good example at all. Any kind of swipe-down drawer would also be inconsistent UI pattern for WP, since it's not used anywhere else.

    What point you're trying to make with talking about the task switcher not originally being there, you'll have to elaborate on that. I have no idea what that has to do with this issue.
    Last edited by Gaichuke; 06-17-2013 at 10:20 AM.
    Thanked by:
    Jazmac and RahulRana like this.
  18. Jazmac's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,112 Posts
    #18  
    Wow, this cat if forever angry about something Gaichuke. Anyway, thanks for the post OP. We can only hope we get some of those concepts implemented in our devices. Something great is coming, I can feel it.
    RahulRana likes this.
  19. chezm's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,302 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,477 Global Posts
    #19  
    i think these concepts would work well...neat!
    Nexus 5 -- Surface Pro 2
  20. ibbyj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    264 Posts
    Global Posts
    430 Global Posts
    #20  
    I want my tiles to rotate!
    -Chances are, I'm guessing.
  21. MDak280's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    417 Posts
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    #21  
    Multitask should be long press back, notification center should be long press home, and voice settings should be long press search. Quick settings can go along with the notification center.

    I like the concept posted here on how separate voice controls could work. I hope that comes in 8.1. Along with call blocking. And a bunch of other stuff :p
  22. Jazmac's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,112 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDak280 View Post
    Multitask should be long press back, notification center should be long press home, and voice settings should be long press search. Quick settings can go along with the notification center.

    I like the concept posted here on how separate voice controls could work. I hope that comes in 8.1. Along with call blocking. And a bunch of other stuff :p
    Yes, call blocking is a must. All Microsoft need do is open that API. The devs will take care of the rest.
  23. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,382 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazmac View Post
    Wow, this cat if forever angry about something Gaichuke.
    I respect Gaichuke as a poster and IIRC, he's made some pretty great posts in past. I strongly disagree with him here. In general, I don't have anything against people who contribute thought and effort.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaichuke View Post
    There is no de-emphasis of anything in my arguments. Remember, it's still as fast as switching between applications. I think it's pretty rude to call my argument baseless or something summoned out from thin air just because you don't understand it.
    Um, you're de-emphasizing ease of use in place of your personal preference on how it should visually look and flow. I fully apologise for misunderstanding your argument, I thought you were arguing that introducing a new navigational concept to the user experience would be detrimental (as opposed to the actual visual flow). I usually draw the line between arguing points and arguing people, sorry if you were offended.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaichuke View Post
    I think there's real benefit in the task switcher implementation because there are no visual interruptions between application and notification centre if it's inside the task switcher screen.
    If I'm getting you right, you think the visual interruptions of the other implementations make less sense and are hence confusing to the user? I'll have to take issue with this, again. Let's go through all the possibilities I can remember:
    • Swipe down: swipe. Notification centre is an overlay, like the lock screen. Seems understandable.
    • Left of tiles: go to start, swipe. Just like the home screen (tiles and app list). Seems understandable.
    • Double tap start: double tap button, any animation can be used. This is very flexible.
    • Task switcher: long hold button, swipe…

    If all users somehow are super familiar with the task switcher, then your argument may make sense. But they aren't. All other implementations are more obvious and more easily accessible. I take your point with reach for the swipe down, but it isn't the only implementation being discussed. (And really, phablet users really just show that one handed use isn't a must. Reach isn't that big of a concern with two hands.)
    Thanked by:
  24. Harry Wild's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    #24  
    Windows 8.1 is the big one! It should have upgrades for HD+ screen resolution; 3.0 USB, 4.0 Bluetooth, Quad-Core Processors, 802.11ac. Rumor has it that it is push back again to the mid 2014.
  25. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post
    Windows 8.1 is the big one! It should have upgrades for HD+ screen resolution; 3.0 USB, 4.0 Bluetooth, Quad-Core Processors, 802.11ac. Rumor has it that it is push back again to the mid 2014.
    Nope. HD+ display resolutions and quad-core processors are expected for GDR3, sometime during Q4.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WTS: Brand New Unopened Set of Clairvue Lumia 920 Screen Protectors
    By webdave in forum The Marketplace - Buy, Sell & Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 12:44 PM
  2. New Screenshots/Features of WP8 for ATIV S
    By 89caps in forum Samsung ATIV S
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-23-2012, 05:17 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2012, 05:14 PM
  4. New resolutions of WP8?
    By fatalaonemanarmy in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2012, 12:42 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-16-2011, 07:22 PM

Posting Permissions