Yahoo Mail Sync time

msweig

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone else have an issue with the amount of time it takes for yahoo mail to sync on their WP8 phone? I've got three email accounts on my phone: outlook, gmail, and yahoo, with yahoo being my main one (by far, since it is the one I've been using for over a decade). I've been having some issues with my battery on my Lumia 920 recently, and was poking around trying to figure out what could possibly be causing the problem, and during that I noticed how long it takes for yahoo to sync. It's always been bad (say, about a minute to sync, and if I download a really small attachment (say, 8KB), it can take 30 seconds), but in the last few days it's been noticeably worse (probably 5+ minutes to sync, so bad that I'll get the notification that I have email, but when I go to the inbox, it'll just list the emails, no info on the beginning text of the emails because it is still downloading). I know I'm having this problem connected to WiFi, not totally positive over LTE (haven't been checking it enough when out of the house to tell).

Only other background info I can think of is I have it set to keep emails from the last month on the phone. Which is how I believe I have the other two accounts, but those accounts probably only have about a dozen emails over the last month, whereas the yahoo account has significantly more.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I found the following on a Microsoft forum. Not sure how you have your settings, but at least it's something to check.

I recently purchased the Nokia Lumia 920 with Windows 8 Phone. Like many others, I was having trouble synchronising my Yahoo mail account on the phone, even though my other mail accounts (Gmail and Hotmail) had synced perfectly well.

I have now discovered that the problem was that my Yahoo account was not set up to enable email to be received on other accounts/devices via POP.

Accordingly, I signed into my Yahoo mail account and took the following steps:

Clicked on Options
Clicked on Mail Options
Clicked on POP & Forwarding
Checked the circle next to Access Yahoo Mail via POP
Clicked on Save

My Yahoo account now syncs with my smartphone.

bill2455

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I've been having similar problems with yahoo mail since early June. Each time I thought I had done something to fix it, the syncing issue would occur again within hours and sometimes minutes. Logging in from my WP8 N920 is the only device that has the problem, all my several other devices -- no problem. Contacted windows phone support but they had no solution; yahoo mail support, same thing. Yahoo support has reset my password and account two or three times and still no joy. I suspect that something's going on with the yahoo servers set up to support WP8 and no one at either yahoo s willing to actually investigate the issue.

The only solution in sight is to transition away from my yahoo mail plus account to an alternate, more reliable provider.

UPDATE: Just checked and at this moment, my phone is syncing with yahoo's servers. We'll see how long this lasts as this all appears to be random. How does yahoo accept my ID and password one moment and rejects it the next?

bill2455

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
OK. I think this is my final update about the Yahoo sync problem. For me, it is now SOLVED.

All I had to do was to avoid attempting to log-in to Yahoo through the mail app for about 48 hours. Then, I logged in and was successful. I have been able to regularly sync for a few days in a row with no failures. Since this all started after I received an e-mail message from Yahoo telling me they had detected "suspicious" use of my account and asking me to change my password, I think it was all about Yahoo locking out the mail app temporarily. Why Yahoo may have thought the mail app was "suspicious," is anyone's guess.

Why Yahoo support didn't think to suggest this might be the problem and to just wait XX hours before trying to log-in again is another mystery since this is likely something that happens often. Yahoo was more about sending scripted suggestions responding to the pre-canned subject line than about doing an analysis of the problem.

Roland Trico

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
Although the thread is a bit old. Just wanted to share my experience on synch issue over mobile network. Had configured everything and synch over Wifi without issue. When switched to mobile network, external account (yahoo, gmail) failed to synchronized. Also shared internet connection (WP hotspot) was giving a limited connectivity. For me what resolved all, was to set-up PAP Authentication in the mobile network provider access point.
Hope that helps.
Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss