More Nokia buyout rumors... this time not Huawei, but Microsoft

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
damn, missed that.

Feel free to delete this thread. Wanted to inform, not discuss, but obviously old news... Sry.

somehow I missed that, too. Just heard it on the WSJ podcast and was like "why wasn't that on wpc?" I check this site every couple of hours during the day, and at least once at night. If this was posed at 5:30, I don't know how I missed it.

WSJ: Microsoft Recently in Talks to Buy Nokia

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
This was a story several times this past year.

I don't think so. IMHO Joe Shmoe thinking it might be a good idea for MS to buy Nokia isn't the same as the WSJ reporting that MS actually wants to. AFAIK that hasn't happened before.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Yes, those exemplify pretty much exactly what I was talking about:

1. This article is based on a rumour that was birthed by an individual tech blogger, but that blogger offered nothing to back his claims up with.
  2. This article that does nothing but parrot the rumour just mentioned (see 1)
  3. This article is based on nothing more than the speculation that came about when an analyst at Danske Bank said: "a deal between Nokia and Microsoft makes sense". Nothing in the article suggests Microsoft or Nokia were actually planning to do so (except the click-bait headline).
  4. The very first word in that article is "Rumour", which is repeated throughout.
At least to my mind, none of that is comparable with the statement:

"last Monday, Microsoft CEO Steve Balmer and Nokia CEO Steven Elop spent the day discussing a potential merger between their two companies". Like I said, AFAIK, this was the first and only time such a report was more than mere speculation.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Unless there is an official statement, it is all just rumor. The only thing different between the new article is the lack of mentioning a source for the info.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Unless there is an official statement, it is all just rumor. The only thing different between the new article is the lack of mentioning a source for the info.

True, but I guess I trust the WSJ more than I do some random blogger. Make of it what you will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss