reality check. wp is in big trouble

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Well I have no hate.
But am not a blind fan. Am neutral. Criticize where necessary.
What are the three updates you are talking about this year? Comparing with the rate of apple updates is stupid. It's WP who is lagging in market and mind share not Apple.
To catchup it needs to increase rate not follow competitors.

MS should have WP 8.1 by now or by July at the latest. Release any update after iOS7 ships is going to be late like every year. There is no reason MS can't increase the update rate.
They have thousands of employees. It's just clear that MS doesn't want to increase the update rate. Why. I don't know.

Gdr2 is due in july august time, gdr3 is due in november october time and blue or 8.1 is due for the holidays. These are well documented and have been the subject of many articles on this site.

Updates are not reliant on tthe number of staff you have, having more staff can in theory make updates come faster, but its usually just one team that does them. Would you really want ten teams going ten different updates? Wouldn't that lead to more bugs and doubled up work?

Not all MS eemployees work in the WP decision, some work on small projects like windows and office etc too.

MS only lag behind in market share, not in features. the WP OS is probably the most feature rich OS on the market, obviously discounting apps and OEM skins. the base OS does more than android AOKP or iOS do.

While we do have some things missing, ill remind you all other OS do too.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Since everybody's throwing opinions around, I'll put my $.02's worth. Some of the posts point to Nokia's rising stock value and earnings and draw a conclusion that there's no way they'll break up or sell. Well, there's a real world out there beyond WPCentral and if you've been paying attention, you may have noticed that a company's board ousted its CEO & founder in spite of growth, stock earnings and overall revenue: George Zimmer (Men's Wearhouse). MS may be eyeing Nokia through a "Motorola" set of glasses and thus putting out some feelers. Nokia may be propping up their balance sheets to make a stock offering more attractive. Lastly, a determined group of board members may be planning a coup d'etat to knock off Elop. In the meantime, enjoy your phones, because that's all they are.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Since everybody's throwing opinions around, I'll put my $.02's worth. Some of the posts point to Nokia's rising stock value and earnings and draw a conclusion that there's no way they'll break up or sell. Well, there's a real world out there beyond WPCentral and if you've been paying attention, you may have noticed that a company's board ousted its CEO & founder in spite of growth, stock earnings and overall revenue: George Zimmer (Men's Wearhouse). MS may be eyeing Nokia through a "Motorola" set of glasses and thus putting out some feelers. Nokia may be propping up their balance sheets to make a stock offering more attractive. Lastly, a determined group of board members may be planning a coup d'etat to knock off Elop. In the meantime, enjoy your phones, because that's all they are.

Yah sure start talking sense and take all the fun out of the conversation...lol

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I love financial conversation.

Everyone should HOPE Nokia doesn't sell any part of the NSN. As its the ONLY profitable part of the company.

If they are considering working a deal out to sell NSN it's game over, as it will be a domino type deal for every other part of the company.

However if they work out a deal to assume the whole NSN then good times are ahead. ( this is most likely, since Siemens is searching for a buyer)

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I haven't read all the posts so forgive me if I'm repeating someone else comment. Joe Belfiore said on Twitter that the media have blown **** outta proportion n that they r actually in the business of making better products!! Now that's not verbatim but that's it in a nutshell;)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
if i had 13 billion i would have bought Nokia. there property is worth 40 billion plus . so if i purchase Nokia now and sell all there property,land,office,factory and recycle all metal,plastic and glass i would still make a profit of 30 billion that 300% profit. lol

The future of lumia higher end is dark. as at flagship price iphone/android give better experience. talk about camera htc one camera takes better image, **** even a skin of wp on android feel as smooth as 920. i have a htc one i use a custom Rom with wp skin. it was same as 920 with better apps and better at every thing . nokia /ms should make there device better at every end than its competitor not only at just one(camera).

some one is giving 4 core. wp should give 6. some one is giving 2000 batter, wp phone should give 3000. some one is giving 13mp camera. wp should give 41mp. some one is giving 1080p display,wp should give 2160p. it should be over kill over its runner. this is why android won even over ios.

one example is lumia 520. it clearly kills every android in its market. 1ghz duel core over kill single more app overkill android(android of 150$cant even run 150 apps) 4 inch screen 223p density(no android give it) if a cell phone is better in every why than its side phone why will not some one buy it? for last 2 year i was the lone guy with WP OS. feel like i am the only one in India. now at every corner of street i see a lumia 520.

Last edited:

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I'd say English isn't his 1st language but it kinda pains me to admit in some of that he is right! The os IS holding Nokia back but I honestly don't know what the answer is but it's sickening to think an extra lens an a few tweaks is ALL they could come up with after nearly 9mths!! I have an 820 but if I was a 920 owner there's nothing there to compel them to switch. I realize Nokia are trying hard but I think honestly Microsoft is holding them back unfortunately:(

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Sorry dude, I must say you are being blind fan here by saying that WP is most feature rich, more than iOS and Android.
Some of the features in WP are courtesy Nokia. Don't forget that.

Also, we don't want ten teams doing ten different updates. What is feasible is that MS pull more staff in the WP team to speed up the updates. The timeline you mentioned below is the problem,
as I said. GDR2 is not a significant update. GDR3 - I don't know what is rumored for it. The only significant update I have heard of is 8.1 which is due for holidays/early 2014 and that is too late.
PERIOD.

When iOS7 comes out and if there is no 8.1, people are going to compare it with WP8 and WP8 is going to loose out everytime. It will affect mind share of people. MS/Nokia's only chance of making a big impact in 2013 is to have their iOS7 and Android's next major update's WP competitor in the market at-least before them or at the same time. Anything after that means they are losing a big opportunity.

Gdr2 is due in july august time, gdr3 is due in november october time and blue or 8.1 is due for the holidays. These are well documented and have been the subject of many articles on this site.

Updates are not reliant on tthe number of staff you have, having more staff can in theory make updates come faster, but its usually just one team that does them. Would you really want ten teams going ten different updates? Wouldn't that lead to more bugs and doubled up work?

Not all MS eemployees work in the WP decision, some work on small projects like windows and office etc too.

MS only lag behind in market share, not in features. the WP OS is probably the most feature rich OS on the market, obviously discounting apps and OEM skins. the base OS does more than android AOKP or iOS do.

While we do have some things missing, ill remind you all other OS do too.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'd say English isn't his 1st language but it kinda pains me to admit in some of that he is right! The os IS holding Nokia back but I honestly don't know what the answer is but it's sickening to think an extra lens an a few tweaks is ALL they could come up with after nearly 9mths!! I have an 820 but if I was a 920 owner there's nothing there to compel them to switch. I realize Nokia are trying hard but I think honestly Microsoft is holding them back unfortunately:(
What you don't get is that Nokia is not going after 920 users with 925/928. Most of the people don't update their phone after 9 months. Nokia is going after new customers, which is a logical
business decision.

jack6191

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
With only 3 updates this year and having doubled both the app count and market share in 8 months. WP is indeed moving slowly. When you compare this to apple with there superfast one update per year. You can see how super slow ms is.

I mean iphones don't have 1.5gig processors or 720p screens yet, but still it only took them 7 years to add a settings screen. Just what is MS playing at?
Number of updates don't really matter..
And yes iPhones don't really need huge processors
retina displays are really great!!
Now just compare the lumias..
-the 520 is the cheapest lumia or cheaper than lumia 620 yet 520 got supersensitive touch and 620 doesn't have it!
-lumia 720 is costlier than lumia 620 yet 620 got here drive+ and 720 doesn't!
-lumia 820 and 920 are the high end devices yet only 720 and 920 got gorilla glass protection!!
Why is everything so disorganised??
Now my brother is to go abroad and he was to buy a smartphone( now using android)..he chose lumia 720 but when he came to know that it doesn't have here drive+..he got off the mood of getting it!
Where they out of minds while designing the phones or were they drunk or something???
Now androids give everything a user wants at affordable prices too!
Even the cheap manufactures give high RAM and processors...so Is that so that the suppliers of these units charge more to Nokia? Or is that Nokia can't afford? Or is that to keep 920 a higher end device they can't provide a bigger ram to others?
When I buy a device I won't think like "WINDOWS IS REALLY A POTENTIAL PLATFORM AND NOKIA IS THE PIONEER OF SMARTPHONES..THEY NEED ME, THEY NEED US TO BUY THEIR DEVICES TO CARRY FORWARD. THOUGH NOT NOW THEY WILL SURELY BRING GOOD FEATURES ONE DAY!!"
I am not a windows hater..rather I love NOKIA..but does it make sense if I don't get what I want?
If you think iPhones don't have big screens and the like..then let me say..no apple user is going to switch to windows and he/she will only if its only UI which is most important to them..there is a lot much in the iPhones than the lumias..
AND YES IF I AM A PHOTOGRAPHY LOVER I WOULD RATHER GET A DSLR FROM NIKON..I mean to say its not that photography is the only thing users want!
I don't say this because I am an apple user..I already tried lumia but it just couldn't satisfy me!
MS needs to innovate the way people want them too not that people would adapt as per they develop..there are really lots of choices.
And comparing WINDOWS to APPLE is really foolish..apple is already a king of smartphones as well as a pioneer too..if you want to beat the competition you need to be different and extraordinary..
If this continues the same way..only fanboys can save windows!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

P.S APPLE launches only a single model yet it just kills..I don't think the whole population buying millions of iPhones and androids as well would be dumb fools..it's their ease of use and better experience that keeps them attracted..not everyone is a tech lover and loves to experiment with different devices.
And you know what..my friends(not much into tech) they comment that even a simple game like temple run has not yet made up to the store (for 512 mb devices)..and apples and androids got temple run 2 and oz too..there is not a decent video player to play good videos(.mkv format, high mp4) then why should we compromise?? That's the way people think..
And yeah I remember Stephen elop gave a statement..that we don't really need quad cores to drain the batteries faster and to burn a hole in your pocket..and now they are working on quad cores..the reality is they are slow against the competition nothing else and the statement he gave was an excuse...:p

Last edited by a moderator:

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
Sorry dude, I must say you are being blind fan here by saying that WP is most feature rich, more than iOS and Android.
Some of the features in WP are courtesy Nokia. Don't forget that.
sorry for that typos.
Nokia apps has become a selling point of Lumia over other wp devices . what else can poor Nokia can do?? MS cant provide them with any selling point.
They now gave office to iPhone user. and even denied there own OS from their service(Video messaging on Skype).They should have made video messaging exclusive to wp devices. No OS company gives a **** to other OS( look what Google did to you-tube app) NOW there is lack of free good You-tube app.
they should use the revenue from android devices to develop windows phone OS fast. feel like cheated to buy a Lumia 920 where as my HTC one with just a windows skin is FAR better.

jack6191

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Whatever, you win. WP is toilet, its dead, Nokia is dead too etc etc. You win. I don't care anymore.

Lol..
I wasn't fighting..neither I want to win..truth is truth..:)
I myself got a lumia for my mum..cool bro..I am a neutral guy:)

jack6191

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
They now gave office to iPhone user. and even denied there own OS from their service(Video messaging on Skype).They should have made video messaging exclusive to wp devices. No OS company gives a **** to other OS( look what Google did to you-tube app) NOW there is lack of free good You-tube app.

I agree apple doesn't give a **** of it's "i" to any other os

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb