Have these been addressed now?

bobo616

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I tried the Nokia 820 last year and while I liked the interface I had quite a lot of issues so I now have a blackberry z10 which I really like. My wife now is interested in swapping from an iphone 4 tothe Nokia 620, she likes the blackberry q10 but it is very expensive so I wondered if you can confirm if any of our previous issues with windows phone have now been addressed so she can consider the Nokia?

Anyway here are my questions, I appreciate there are a lot but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Can you edit videos via the OS or an app as previously I couldn't?

Can you password protect or encrypt photos and videos? Previously i couldnt protect videos.

Can you backup your phone locally or does it still have to be to the cloud?

Can you restrict permissions on an app per app basis if they can access my contacts, photos, location etc or do you still only get to review this after you install it?

Are you now able to add contacts or calendar items without them syncing across to a cloud account, again some people may want to access these details from multiple places, I dont and I want the choice?

Can you assign individual or group contacts different text alerts?

Will the text alert alert her a couple more times a few minutes apart like IOS does?

Are you now able to add or view the custom dictionary or add to the autocomplete suggestions, such as typing lm autocorrecting to lmao?

Are you now able to select all text using copy and paste?

Are you now able to select a different search engine inthe web browser rather than just Bing or Google, again being a private person I prefer to use a search engine such as Startpage.com or duckduckgo? Are there other browsers in the store to choose from?

Are you able to see how much mobile\cellular data my phone has used, this isnt massively important to me as my wife doesnt use much data but she would like to be able to check it?

Are you able to see how much space an individual app is taking up, some apps may only be a few mb to start with but they can grow such as Twitter, We want to be able to see where her space is going, especially if She cant put apps on the SD card or if she is running out of space?

Does the status bar show at all times so She can see how her battery or signal is all the time?

Thanks again.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I think you should consider the fact that when switching to a different OS, YOU have to make some changes to what you're used to: what's the point of switching if you're just looking for the same experience?

Several of these are just misconceptions on your part- there have been apps to password protect videos since the early days of WP7. There have been alternate browsers with alternate search engines since WP7, though the hardware search button cannot be changed. Your carrier should offer an SMS interface to how much data you have used (call *data# on ATT and you get a text). Copy and paste has been here since like the first update that WP7 ever got, autocomplete learns and can be manually trained so there is no need for dictionary editing...

Not being able to view app sizes or install to SD is still a problem, don't expect that to change for another year, if ever. Backups are to the cloud but you can get your contacts, pictures, videos locally. But if you are trying to avoid the cloud you shouldn't get WP.

Someone else will address the rest of your post.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

bobo616

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate what you are saying but she isn't really looking for a whole new experience as such but more flexibility such as a removable battery and sd card and cost is a factor hence us looking at windows phone again. Size of the phone is also a consideration as lots of phones are too big for her hands.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I tried the Nokia 820 last year and while I liked the interface I had quite a lot of issues so I now have a blackberry z10 which I really like. My wife now is interested in swapping from an iphone 4 tothe Nokia 620, she likes the blackberry q10 but it is very expensive so I wondered if you can confirm if any of our previous issues with windows phone have now been addressed so she can consider the Nokia?

Anyway here are my questions, I appreciate there are a lot but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Can you edit videos via the OS or an app as previously I couldn't?

No

Can you password protect or encrypt photos and videos? Previously i couldnt protect videos.

Use third party app.

Can you backup your phone locally or does it still have to be to the cloud?

Pics/Videos locally. Rest to cloud

Can you restrict permissions on an app per app basis if they can access my contacts, photos, location etc or do you still only get to review this after you install it?

Best to review this before you install an app. Store shows permissions required.

Are you now able to add contacts or calendar items without them syncing across to a cloud account, again some people may want to access these details from multiple places, I dont and I want the choice?

Turn off cloud sync in account settings.

Can you assign individual or group contacts different text alerts?

No
Will the text alert alert her a couple more times a few minutes apart like IOS does?

No
Are you now able to add or view the custom dictionary or add to the autocomplete suggestions, such as typing lm autocorrecting to lmao?

No, just clear the custom dictionary
Are you now able to select all text using copy and paste?

No phone permits ALL text to be selected. I use Copy/Paste in most places it would be useful daily. E.g. web/phone numbers/contacts etc.
Are you now able to select a different search engine inthe web browser rather than just Bing or Google, again being a private person I prefer to use a search engine such as Startpage.com or duckduckgo? Are there other browsers in the store to choose from?

No
Are you able to see how much mobile\cellular data my phone has used, this isnt massively important to me as my wife doesnt use much data but she would like to be able to check it?

Coming next month in DataSense
Are you able to see how much space an individual app is taking up, some apps may only be a few mb to start with but they can grow such as Twitter, We want to be able to see where her space is going, especially if She cant put apps on the SD card or if she is running out of space?

Nokia phones do show this.

Does the status bar show at all times so She can see how her battery or signal is all the time?

No
Thanks again.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
App space: you can check the space taken up by apps and app data on the "storage check" under settings. You can't put apps on the SD card but media and documents can be stored on the card. Also, if you download the Lumia Storage Check app, it allows you to store maps on the SD card which is a big plus point.

bobo616

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the early replies, it sounds as though there still might be too many compromises for us but appreciate the responses.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
App space: you can check the space taken up by apps and app data on the "storage check" under settings. You can't put apps on the SD card but media and documents can be stored on the card. Also, if you download the Lumia Storage Check app, it allows you to store maps on the SD card which is a big plus point.

And this is almost entirely useless since it gives you total used space- you have no way of knowing which apps are consuming ungodly amounts of space. Even nokia storage check doesn't show per app (i don't think it does anyway).

SD card is read only, with the one exception being pictures and videos taken from the device's camera. You certainly can store documents on the SD, but you'll never get them on there without a computer.

The storage check is not available to AT&T branded lumias, yet.

As far as video editing goes, there's no reason an app can't do that. There just is no such app.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, if you're not excited about live tiles, the interface, and the Microsoft ecosystem, don't buy into WP. It's a very good smartphone and its future is quite promising... But it is limited to anything but the most basic of tasks, there are inconsistent and gaping holes in functionality, and progress is glacial. WP is very efficient at everything it does, but it just doesn't do enough yet. I have been with the platform since it came out, and it was easy to be happy with it since I knew it was new and still in development, whereas the other OSs have had years to mature. Well it has been a few years and this viewpoint is starting to decay... WP isn't new anymore and the gaping holes are starting to become unforgivable. I would still choose WP over IOS, and I refuse to create a google account (which renders android nearly useless), so I'm just stuck being unhappy with WP's lack of progress for now.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've had Nokia's storage check app on my AT&T Lumia 920 for months, and it does tell you how much space each app uses (and further splits that into Apps and App Data).

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
And this is almost entirely useless since it gives you total used space- you have no way of knowing which apps are consuming ungodly amounts of space. Even nokia storage check doesn't show per app (i don't think it does anyway).

SD card is read only, with the one exception being pictures and videos taken from the device's camera. You certainly can store documents on the SD, but you'll never get them on there without a computer.

The storage check is not available to AT&T branded lumias, yet.

This is what "storage check" under Settings shows on a Lumia 620. For what its worth, its an unlocked device.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=550ED7BB9C31384D!670&authkey=!AP0rUUj2rZPAgIU

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=550ED7BB9C31384D!671&authkey=!AFtG5hVf6Vn27ck

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=550ED7BB9C31384D!672&authkey=!AGMhm0mlUNilVOw
Cyu

It shows the details of app and app data in terms of space consumed.

Nokia storage check also shows info for each app with the added option of storing maps on the SD card

bobo616

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like many of your issues are addressed. What was the tipping point in terms of compromise?

No video editing or being able to encrypt videos, the apps that can do this are only able to import from sky drive or record from within the app. It also seems that you are still being forced to use the cloud more than we want and simple things such as custom text tones are still not available. It seems the evolution of the os is still very slow which is a shame, maybe in a few years it will offer more what we want but it seems unlikely. Shame.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Well, video editing and custom text tones may arrive but WP8 (like all mobile and desktop OS's) is moving inexorably towards greater, not lesser cloud integration.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
No video editing or being able to encrypt videos, the apps that can do this are only able to import from sky drive or record from within the app. It also seems that you are still being forced to use the cloud more than we want and simple things such as custom text tones are still not available. It seems the evolution of the os is still very slow which is a shame, maybe in a few years it will offer more what we want but it seems unlikely. Shame.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I've told you that there are apps that can encrypt your videos locally, and they have existed since the early days of WP7- I don't know why you keep saying otherwise. They work by importing from your *local* picture library, not skydrive. However, encryption is inherent across the whole system, so if you passcode lock your phone, *your videos are already encrypted* without the need for an app, as long as they're not on the SD card.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I've told you that there are apps that can encrypt your videos locally, and they have existed since the early days of WP7- I don't know why you keep saying otherwise. They work by importing from your *local* picture library, not skydrive. However, encryption is inherent across the whole system, so if you passcode lock your phone, *your videos are already encrypted* without the need for an app, as long as they're not on the SD card.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

This is true. You cannot get the data from the phone without a passcode...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon