Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sinime
  1.    #1  
    Just sharing my thoughts here.

    Can't really understand why app developers can't spend few more time to add another screen resolution to their app... I know that Nokia is the major WP OEM but ... Can't be that hard to add a second resolution to the app, its really annoying to see these black bars on top or bottom of my screen, besides it makes me feel the app is a ummm don't know how to describe it but feels old.
    Android apps can work on any resolution, so why not WP ? Doesn't seems to be that hard, and I think Ms should be responsible for this by making the developers publish the app with both "Nokia and a non- Nokia" sizes.

    I got an HTC 8x phone which I love, and one of the things I love about is the screen, its just gorgeous, too bad to me that I can't use it fully sometimes.

    I know this might be a minor problem for some of you. But after some time it started to be annoying.
  2. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,817 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,473 Global Posts
    #2  
    Need to contact the devs about it. They haven't been optimised for the 16:9 aspect ratio of the 8X.

    "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Ratcliffe View Post
    Need to contact the devs about it. They haven't been optimised for the 16:9 aspect ratio of the 8X.
    the question is ... Is it really that hard to make it work on both ..
  4. iampwd's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    66 Posts
    #4  
    I have Ativ S and I feel the same way. It's a really stupid problem with all MS restrictions this should have been avoided.

    Sent from my GT-I8750 using Tapatalk
  5. sinime's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    2,915 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,351 Global Posts
    #5  
    It's a WP7/8 issue... If an app supports 720p, it can't support WP7.... Although a dev can have two versions of the same app, 1 for WP7 and one for WP8 (same in that you buy it on WP7, then upgrade to WP8, the marketplace knows you have purchased the app already and gives you access to the appropriate version.) I'm working on making my Beer Knurd app have a separate version for WP7 and 8 so I can support full WVGA, WXGA and 720p... my issue is time and trying to get a few kinks out before splitting the code, that way it is less work to get them both updated in the direction I'm planning to move the app... I have yet to get a complaint about the black bars, granted I have a user base of about 80 - not sure if any of them have a 720p display?

    Having said that, I hope to have the app updated and split in the next week or two.
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8)
    Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)
  6. neo158's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,730 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by iampwd View Post
    I have Ativ S and I feel the same way. It's a really stupid problem with all MS restrictions this should have been avoided.

    Sent from my GT-I8750 using Tapatalk
    Same here, I even asked the devs of one app, Ocado, and was told that they have no plans to support 720p displays on Windows Phone. To me it makes devs look like they can't be bothered when they aren't interested in supporting the resolutions of WP.
  7. Huime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,021 Posts
    #7  
    You do realize that some low end droids with weird squarish screen gets the same blank fill right? Supply and Demand, chapter 3 usually. :)
  8. neo158's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,730 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Huime View Post
    You do realize that some low end droids with weird squarish screen gets the same blank fill right? Supply and Demand, chapter 3 usually. :)
    I do know that, if developers weren't lazy and actually wrote apps for different screen sizes then it wouldn't happen. Windows Phone has two different screen sizes and developers are still too lazy to implement both of them!!!!
  9. Huime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,021 Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by neo158 View Post
    I do know that, if developers weren't lazy and actually wrote apps for different screen sizes then it wouldn't happen. Windows Phone has two different screen sizes and developers are still too lazy to implement both of them!!!!
    with basically 5% average global market share and that almost 80% above are 15:9. Not that hard to understand.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitter@Firas_MD View Post
    the question is ... Is it really that hard to make it work on both ..
    Though I agree with those that have said that supply and demand is at issue here, I'll answer your question with, "It depends." For the apps I write, in C# and XAML, and with very little in the way of graphics, no, it isn't hard. It's pretty much a no-brainer, and the same markup that I used in my WP7 apps works on all three resolutions by only checking a checkbox. But if the app has graphics that depend on screen aspect ratio, there is more work to it, and the amount of that work is going to be highly dependent upon how complex and what the amount of graphics use is.

    I know you were hoping for a simple "no, it isn't hard," but it's not as simple a question as you'd think at first glance.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
    Thanked by:
  11. neo158's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,730 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Huime View Post
    with basically 5% average global market share and that almost 80% above are 15:9. Not that hard to understand.
    Then how come smaller developers are bothered enough to get their apps working properly on 720p displays despite the small market share yet big corporations can't be bothered.
  12. Huime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,021 Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by neo158 View Post
    Then how come smaller developers are bothered enough to get their apps working properly on 720p displays despite the small market share yet big corporations can't be bothered.
    1 First of all 15:9 is WXGA not 720p.
    2 Small deve and large dev runs on different base cost.
  13. sinime's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    2,915 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,351 Global Posts
    #13  
    IDK, smaller devs have less resources, but they sometimes are more connected with customers. Maybe that's their motivation over the big name companies?

    I have to admit, I'm the smallest a dev can get... 1 guy who has a day job that doesn't include programming. I have to balance coding with family and work, so I typically focus on what I use, which happens to be WP8. My laziness goes to the other extreme though... Here lately, I've released a couple of apps for WP8 (that support 720p and WXGA) and don't support WP7 as a result. One app, I've toyed with making for over a year, the other 2 were requested by my wife... Gotta keep her happy or the free time for coding gets cut short ;)

    My first app however, still supports WP7.
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8)
    Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)
    hopmedic likes this.
  14. realwarder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,132 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by neo158 View Post
    I do know that, if developers weren't lazy and actually wrote apps for different screen sizes then it wouldn't happen. Windows Phone has two different screen sizes and developers are still too lazy to implement both of them!!!!
    Clearly you are not a developer. It is possible that some developers are lazy, but mostly they're not. Why spends days changing and testing an app for a small gain (to remove 2 tiny bars)? If people buy an app a lot the devs will likely make such changes but many apps barely make any return. Get off your lazy arse and talk to developers nicely and they might make changes.
    Thanked by:
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    IDK, smaller devs have less resources, but they sometimes are more connected with customers. Maybe that's their motivation over the big name companies?

    I have to admit, I'm the smallest a dev can get... 1 guy who has a day job that doesn't include programming. I have to balance coding with family and work, so I typically focus on what I use, which happens to be WP8. My laziness goes to the other extreme though... Here lately, I've released a couple of apps for WP8 (that support 720p and WXGA) and don't support WP7 as a result. One app, I've toyed with making for over a year, the other 2 were requested by my wife... Gotta keep her happy or the free time for coding gets cut short ;)

    My first app however, still supports WP7.
    This is pretty much the same boat I'm in. Not a developer by day, but like to dabble by night, when I have time, and hope that one day my day job becomes development, so using the night tinkering as learning experience. But with other things in life besides free time to play developer, updates don't happen as often as I'd like. All of my apps still support WP7, but other than bug fixes, all the new features are going to WP8. Added voice commands to one app, and right now I'm completely rewriting another for WP8. It was a pathetic app that I wrote when I first started, and didn't have time to rewrite to improve it as I learned, because the one I added voice commands to is the one I used most, so I wanted it updated with more features. But the pathetic one actually gets more downloads and makes more ad revenue.

    Quote Originally Posted by realwarder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neo158 View Post
    I do know that, if developers weren't lazy and actually wrote apps for different screen sizes then it wouldn't happen. Windows Phone has two different screen sizes and developers are still too lazy to implement both of them!!!!
    Clearly you are not a developer. It is possible that some developers are lazy, but mostly they're not. Why spends days changing and testing an app for a small gain (to remove 2 tiny bars)? If people buy an app a lot the devs will likely make such changes but many apps barely make any return. Get off your lazy arse and talk to developers nicely and they might make changes.
    THANK YOU!
    Oh - above where I said that the pathetic app makes more ad revenue, let's say that the most I've made in any single month, on four apps, is $58. The average has been more like $20, and recent months I've even had months under $10. So no, neo158, I'm not getting rich. Nor am I lazy. And while my apps do support all three resolutions, I've explained above why it is not just a checkbox to check for some.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  16. sinime's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    2,915 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,351 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by realwarder View Post
    Get off your lazy arse and talk to developers nicely and they might make changes.
    Yeah, IDK what it is about each OS.... webOS: people would send me emails via the apps contact developer option and review the app... iOS: people give you a bad review, don't contact the developer to figure out what's wrong, and don't leave enough info to try and fix the problem (9 times out of 10 it's user error, didn't put card number exactly as it appears on the card)... WP7/8: users don't seem to contact the dev or give reviews :'(
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8)
    Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)
  17. #17  
    It's all part of the lazification of America...
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  18. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    #18  
    Basically, developers would have to create a separate-ish codebase for the WP8 version if they want to support 16:9. In most cases, it probably isn't ridiculously difficult. Most devs I've contacted have said it's either "on the roadmap", or simply not a priority. I think it's unwise of devs to continue to put this off, Windows Phone will have a significant 16:9 user base in future (I think 1080p is going to be 1080p, not like 720p and Nokia's WXGA) and you can't delay it forever.

    It's really sucky in games in particular. I personally just avoid majority of apps without 16:9 support, I'll buy and support the devs who care about it.
  19. Huime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,021 Posts
    #19  
    16:9 might have a come back when WP8 devices move to fHD.
  20. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Huime View Post
    16:9 might have a come back
    Not quite a come back when it got nowhere to start off with, but I hope so. 16:9 is great, especially with Windows Phone's oversized elements. It's a shame Nokia went with WXGA.
  21. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    Basically, developers would have to create a separate-ish codebase for the WP8 version if they want to support 16:9. In most cases, it probably isn't ridiculously difficult. Most devs I've contacted have said it's either "on the roadmap", or simply not a priority. I think it's unwise of devs to continue to put this off, Windows Phone will have a significant 16:9 user base in future (I think 1080p is going to be 1080p, not like 720p and Nokia's WXGA) and you can't delay it forever.

    It's really sucky in games in particular. I personally just avoid majority of apps without 16:9 support, I'll buy and support the devs who care about it.
    I can't speak to games, as I don't develop in DirectX, but for regular apps, this is not correct. All a dev has to do is make his app responsive to resolution. For the type of apps I write, using C# and XAML, this means instead of hard coding a position on the screen where you want something, using pixels, you use ratios. Instead of making a grid with cells that are x pixels high, you make the cells x% of the screen height.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  22.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    Though I agree with those that have said that supply and demand is at issue here, I'll answer your question with, "It depends." For the apps I write, in C# and XAML, and with very little in the way of graphics, no, it isn't hard. It's pretty much a no-brainer, and the same markup that I used in my WP7 apps works on all three resolutions by only checking a checkbox. But if the app has graphics that depend on screen aspect ratio, there is more work to it, and the amount of that work is going to be highly dependent upon how complex and what the amount of graphics use is.

    I know you were hoping for a simple "no, it isn't hard," but it's not as simple a question as you'd think at first glance.
    Thank you .. I Actually understand your point of view here, and also I got a small tiny shallow background about app development that's why im a bit disappointed by this.
    But I thought that Ms should be responsible for these kind of things as they are in full control of the quality of the apps, just like apple. So maybe they can add the two aspect ratios as a must for app development.
  23. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    I can't speak to games, as I don't develop in DirectX, but for regular apps, this is not correct. All a dev has to do is make his app responsive to resolution. For the type of apps I write, using C# and XAML, this means instead of hard coding a position on the screen where you want something, using pixels, you use ratios. Instead of making a grid with cells that are x pixels high, you make the cells x% of the screen height.
    Apps without 16:9 support have been written against the WP7 SDK. From what I've heard, in such an instance you'd have to create slightly different WP7 and WP8 versions.

    Haven't personally looked into it, but I don't think I've heard of any instances where a dev got a WP7 app working in 16:9 without a separate XAP.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-21-2013, 10:31 PM
  2. Little Annoyances w/ WP8 are Driving Me Nuts
    By sluffmo in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-06-2012, 09:42 AM
  3. Facebook App driving me crazy.
    By alpercavdar in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-20-2012, 10:55 AM
  4. It's cool to hate Microsoft - and it drives me crazy
    By dogfish54 in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 10-08-2012, 09:37 AM
  5. Ugh....this Tile redraw is driving me crazy....
    By jrdatrackstar1223 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-26-2011, 03:19 PM

Posting Permissions