Why Windows Phone 8?? My Switch Pitch to a friend.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Enter: Troll with one post.
Troll who has probably never touched a Windows Phone, but loves the Windows Phone stolen look of iOS7. I was just showing someone TODAY a video that I put into my phone, so there's a lot of misinformed hate goin on.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am digging this thread. There has been a ton of negative ones lately. Those are important- we need to look at shortcomings to help the community grow. But.... they were bumming me out.

Excellent read, Daily Dose, excellent writing. Bring home the 5 star recruit to the University Of WPC.

satycool

May 15, 2013
Visit site
So I'm a Troll for bringing up the weakness of W8p that might be an important consideration for the customer. If previously from iPhone and Android(esp SG3) phones, most will be use to quick simple easy access to apps and functions; even though Android can be customized to how you want it, ultimate customization, this can be confusing to some ! Its here W8p can annoy and be a mess like creating photo albums(needs Net/PC/SkyDrive), creating music playlistdd - which is confusing on Lumia and you can't add tracks later to a previous playlist from the phone, the non ability in controlling phone/media volume separately, voice assistance is a memory test (W8 is a memory test of what phases can be said on certain apps), and folders you can't create on W8p to keep apps catagoregy placed neatly and easily to access:Tiles can be confusing due to the constant navigating down or up to reach a certain part of the screen, then remembering what that icon app is(esp on small)...I may repeated what I previously mentioned, but these are faults and annoyance that can put people off W8 (it has with me since I've used iphone 5 and SG3), and for someone who's thinking of W8p should be aware of these shortcomings on the phone!

Last edited:

EchoRedux

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Some of the drawbacks you list like folders simply aren't needed given simplicity of the app list on the right of the home screen. All you have to do is remember the first letter of the app. Hubs kind of work like folders, and you can always open an app via voice command.

Yes there are shortcomings, some major, but for a majority of users Windows Phone gives all the features they could ever want.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Even when they own majority of the market share, the trolls come here to 'give awareness' of WP8 lack of droidness...ohhhh sorry, 'short comings' lol. Do you people really come to these forums to police our input and excitement for the OS we enjoy? It bothers you that much we like spreading the love and inviting others to join in?...go back to the android forums geez.

We know WP8 ain't perfect...but that's not to say its bad, and we here still love it.

Go away lol

satycool

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I disagree - as using iphone (5) and my SG3 (none which belong to me), apps are titled and put into folders, eg: I travel a lot so have quiet a few traveling apps on all phones, which can be accessed easily, and know where the apps are: Travel Folder - on both Android (with its live widgets and info if needed) and iPhone. Each app named and iconed on both phones, unlike W8(esp small icons). On W8 I have to scroll down or up, which is tedious at times as I am a heavy app user, and having the need to remember the position of the app and app icon is annoying, and then remember what it is as its not titled, esp when haven't used in a while. Even if I go to the right and press the required letter, I still have to remember every name of every app, and what they do, and even what category that app is! Not very practical for quick access. Having folders and titles simply eliminates all this fiddling around with remembering and finding!

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Enter: Troll with one post.
Ok , he is a troll but there are LOT of basic features missing in WP.

For a first time smartphone user , iPhone always remains in sweet spot.

I used all three and also used symbian until January but iOS is the only OS which has all the basics correctly implemented (except SMS).

Its not just first time smartphone users but also people coming from android.

WP is nice but it simply lacks heavily in many things.Its not in the main competition yet.

Its definitely a wonderful experience to use WP but it wont be having as much great experience as iOS in a long run.

Perhaps , Next major update will refine it and bring it to the next level.

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
As much as I love my 920 and the exp has been great, there are really quite alot missing still from wp8. Even basic functions. I can't even send videos from my library with ANY app. Skype just gives us the finger and releases video msg to ALL other platforms except wp8. Sure maybe they are planning to bake it into the OS later but it is always "later" with wp8 and by the time we get the anticipated functions other platforms are on the next level already. And guess what we get for not having everything? "be patient".

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
how did this thread go from all the awesome thing WP has to offer to ranting off about all its drawbacks?

..smh..guess us Windows Phone users arent allowed to have any nice lighthearted fun around here :(

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
how did this thread go from all the awesome thing WP has to offer to ranting off about all its drawbacks?

..smh..guess us Windows Phone users arent allowed to have any nice lighthearted fun around here :(

Seriously. My friend asked me SPECIFICALLY what I liked about my Lumia. She can get an ear/eyeful of the negative from any iCult DroidNerd reviewer or as it turns out Verizon sales lady. We talked about the potential frustrations that applied to HER...there are frustrations with all the platforms.

People seem to love trolling and making their negative opinions known. I guess it makes them feel better. I wonder if they've ever been PRODUCTIVE about it by making feature requests and bug reports?

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Due to an extended hassle with my carrier, I ended up having to fall back to an old iPhone 4S for half the week.

Someone asked me how I was dealing with it.

"What a pain! I have to run apps to do anything, and there's no good way to get back to what I was doing. "

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
OK, so she got her Lumia 928 from Verizon in the mail. She didn't want my help and set it up by herself. She has a rarely used Hotmail, so she didn't have to setup a new MS-ID.

She was a bit overwhelmed at the change at first, but then got the hang of it. The next day I got a text that said "I think I'm falling in love with this phone"! :) Groupon was her first app. ha ha. She then added Facebook, MyFitnessPal and a couple of others. She took pictures of her cat (ugh).

THEN the HORROR of HORROS....she got the Lumia stolen on like her 4th day owning it. She didn't get the insurance so she went into a Verizon store and the guy was helpful. He had her change to a Family Plan and added the new one to that, so she wouldn't have to pay retail. FYI - this is a marked improvement over the 1st Verizon rep who tried to talk my friend out of the Lumia with snarky comment like "you don't want that phone if you use any apps". ANY apps?

Phone being stolen suck but there was BONUS NEWS - her friend that went with her liked the phone so much that she ended up getting one during the same visit!

So, that's three Lumia's in one shot. 3 transactions, but only 2 will probably be in use since I think the carriers now block stolen phones from being activated.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
WP8 is great, but she does deserve to know that there are features missing from it. No orientation lock, my biggest gripe, and in your post you mentioned that you get free access to xbox music, but that isn't true in the fullest extent. You get free access if you "buy" it. Even then the music app for WP8 is lackluster, to be kind. There are parts of the WP experience that many just assume should be there and aren't. Do make sure you give her the full picture, there is a lot wrong with WP8. I love the platform, but I'm not entirely happy with it.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
WP8 is great, but she does deserve to know that there are features missing from it. No orientation lock, my biggest gripe, and in your post you mentioned that you get free access to xbox music, but that isn't true in the fullest extent. You get free access if you "buy" it. Even then the music app for WP8 is lackluster, to be kind. There are parts of the WP experience that many just assume should be there and aren't. Do make sure you give her the full picture, there is a lot wrong with WP8. I love the platform, but I'm not entirely happy with it.

If you had read the thread before adding your 2 cents, you'd know that all of this has already been discussed.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site

There's plenty wrong with ALL platforms. Remember that this was her asking me what I LIKED about Windows Phone. I told her about orientation lock and outside of these forums, it's not as big of a deal as you think. I told her that I was mistaken about Xbox Music, but she's already into Pandora, so it was a non-factor. She's already purchased, had it stolen and she replaced it. Her friend also bought one just by playing with it. Trust me...this is my friend and the last thing I want to hear is 24 months of complaining, so I told her some of the issues that I had and some of the issues that

There are "issues" with WP8, but I wouldn't say that there is a "lot wrong" with it. I would say that there is a lot right with it, but with the caveat that there is still more work to do. I am finding that forums like this are the worst place to send people because everything has to be doom and gloom. The satisfaction numbers with the carriers suggest that we "enthusiasts" are far more critical than most users.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium