Can you copy a word document into a Windows Phone?

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to put a word document that I use frequently (my resume) on my phone (from PC to phone via USB cable). I tried to copy the word document (docx) into the "Documents" folder on my Lumia 920 and I get an error message saying "Cannot copy Resume - The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected". I get this no matter what folder I try to copy it into. Is this a legitimate error message, or is not possible to copy a word document to the phone? If its not possible, I will be quite pissed off to be honest. I don't want to have to upload everything to skydrive and then download it to the phone when I have a USB cable capable of 480mbits!!! (theoretical of course)

Another question I have is, how can I attach the resume to an email I am writing/replying to? When I tap the attach button, all it does is take me to my pictures. I know it is possible to "Share" a document through email, but that sends a brand new email. I typically need to REPLY to an email with an attachment so the previous conversation is there. Is this possible?

Thanks for any help!

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to copy files onto the phone. You may not be able to access them from the phone. Why not just use SkyDrive and share your resume via a share link?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I know you don't want to put EVERYTHING on the cloud, but I would put your resume on it. I keep it on Skydrive so I have access to it on any computer/phone anywhere. You can also leave a copy on your phone from SkyDrive. Lastly, it is easy to attach it to an email from SkyDrive.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Skydrive is a very useful service. You can edit and copy your resume to your phone, any changes will change across all your devices. All your documents are saved to one location and on your PC after your initial sync all your documents are available for offline, any revisions thou you do need to connect to the internet to access them.

You also won't have multiple copies of your resume going around.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Another question I have is, how can I attach the resume to an email I am writing/replying to? When I tap the attach button, all it does is take me to my pictures. I know it is possible to "Share" a document through email, but that sends a brand new email. I typically need to REPLY to an email with an attachment so the previous conversation is there. Is this possible?

Thanks for any help!

Once you put your document into skydrive and you open it, or if you email to yourself and open it up on your phone. You can click on the three ... at the bottom and click on share. From there you can use one of your email accounts to share it.

Best part, it isn't a link to your skydrive document, rather it is the document itself. The same way you would do it from a PC.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
in order to save the doc locally on the phone, the right way, at least MS expects you to do, is to upload it into skydrive then download from the phone skydrive app.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
in order to save the doc locally on the phone, the right way, at least MS expects you to do, is to upload it into skydrive then download from the phone skydrive app.
Aside from this method, as far as I know, assuming you linked your Microsoft Account to your phone, just go into the Office Hub and upload/download it from there.

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
This is somewhat disappointing, but thank you all for the information! What if...heaven forbid...you are trying to get the document from a computer without an internet connection?? Then you would be royally screwed. Can't you place just about any document/picture/video file onto an Android phone using USB and it works?

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
You can put but you have to use Windows Phone Desktop or metro app on pc and copy to phone. But you can't attach it via mail app, you need to open office hub and then need to use Share option to send it as an attachment. So much restrictions I know but fanboys love these restrictions and aggressively oppose to change it for sake of Security model. MS are you listening to people other than fanboys ?? Do something about this stupid separate storage for separate app and attachments thingy. This OS only worth for low end phones right now not for high end phones.
Hope WP Blue brings some openness....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to put a word document that I use frequently (my resume) on my phone (from PC to phone via USB cable). I tried to copy the word document (docx) into the "Documents" folder on my Lumia 920 and I get an error message saying "Cannot copy Resume - The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected". I get this no matter what folder I try to copy it into. Is this a legitimate error message, or is not possible to copy a word document to the phone? If its not possible, I will be quite pissed off to be honest. I don't want to have to upload everything to skydrive and then download it to the phone when I have a USB cable capable of 480mbits!!! (theoretical of course)

I have copied some excel and word documents in my Lumia 920 (documents folder). Try saving to .doc (word 2003).

Thanks for any help!

I guess it is not possible, you can't attach documents to emails from the email app, only pictures.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
This is somewhat disappointing, but thank you all for the information! What if...heaven forbid...you are trying to get the document from a computer without an internet connection?? Then you would be royally screwed. Can't you place just about any document/picture/video file onto an Android phone using USB and it works?

First, yes you can put a Office document on the phone via the computer and USB. You place it in the Documents folder once you have your phone connected. To access the Office document go to Office Hub -> Phone your documents will be here.

To send one via email all you do is long press while in the Office hub on the document and select Share... then select email.

I believe WP Office uses the latest Office document extensions so you don't need to convert to .doc

You can find more here: Office Hub | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
First, yes you can put a Office document on the phone via the computer and USB. You place it in the Documents folder once you have your phone connected. To access the Office document go to Office Hub -> Phone your documents will be here.

To send one via email all you do is long press while in the Office hub on the document and select Share... then select email.

I believe WP Office uses the latest Office document extensions so you don't need to convert to .doc

You can find more here: Office Hub | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

How does this address attaching it to reply emails without a sky drive link or sending a new email (not original email trail)?

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
you probably can't save it due to some special formatting in the resume or you're using an old version of Office. you can definitely copy documents from PC to phone and vice versa.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
How does this address attaching it to reply emails without a sky drive link or sending a new email (not original email trail)?

I must have just the gun there. Yes there is no way to reply to email and attach a document, even with it saved in Skydrive (I can't that is). A huge failing on MS part which I have to say doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

What I normally do in this instance is copy the person's email address (if it's one I don't have already) and then create a new email via Office Hub, if the file is on the phone.

I don't fully understand why you can't do this. I'm sure someone with a passion for WP will defend MS decision not to do this simple task. Probably something along the lines that WP is not meant to be used like that or something, in other words get a tablet or laptop (or Android or iOS) if you want better email functionality.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
That's ridiculous of MS not to include such a simple and common task. Is there any word of it being part of Blue?

Sanjeev Kumar11

May 3, 2014
Visit site
windows phone is so so *******..i can not upload my resume to naukri.com . indias best job site. also i can not attach resume to any job site. what a **** application. i own windows lumia 925 in 26000 rupee. and can no do even a simple tast. **** this phone. never buy windows phone. lumia is ******* phone. i have several draw back of this phone that u guys can study on net on https://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130713204420AAOvbnS i also contacted nokia customer care but they sugested me to go for android . now i realized my mistake. please do not buy lumia???????????????????:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
windows phone is so so *******..i can not upload my resume to naukri.com . indias best job site. also i can not attach resume to any job site. what a **** application. i own windows lumia 925 in 26000 rupee. and can no do even a simple tast. **** this phone. never buy windows phone. lumia is ******* phone. i have several draw back of this phone that u guys can study on net on https://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130713204420AAOvbnS i also contacted nokia customer care but they sugested me to go for android . now i realized my mistake. please do not buy lumia???????????????????:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:
Use WP 8.1 preview, it has file upload feature in IE 11 Mobile. Also, stay tuned for an official file explorer coming from MS this month!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786