Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By mase123987
  • 1 Post By Dan TheMan86
  • 1 Post By rahul4aug
  • 2 Post By vish2801
  • 1 Post By N_LaRUE
  1. Dan TheMan86's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    39 Posts
       #1  
    I am trying to put a word document that I use frequently (my resume) on my phone (from PC to phone via USB cable). I tried to copy the word document (docx) into the "Documents" folder on my Lumia 920 and I get an error message saying "Cannot copy Resume - The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected". I get this no matter what folder I try to copy it into. Is this a legitimate error message, or is not possible to copy a word document to the phone? If its not possible, I will be quite pissed off to be honest. I don't want to have to upload everything to skydrive and then download it to the phone when I have a USB cable capable of 480mbits!!! (theoretical of course)


    Another question I have is, how can I attach the resume to an email I am writing/replying to? When I tap the attach button, all it does is take me to my pictures. I know it is possible to "Share" a document through email, but that sends a brand new email. I typically need to REPLY to an email with an attachment so the previous conversation is there. Is this possible?

    Thanks for any help!
  2. spaulagain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,038 Posts
    #2  
    You should be able to copy files onto the phone. You may not be able to access them from the phone. Why not just use SkyDrive and share your resume via a share link?
  3. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
    #3  
    I know you don't want to put EVERYTHING on the cloud, but I would put your resume on it. I keep it on Skydrive so I have access to it on any computer/phone anywhere. You can also leave a copy on your phone from SkyDrive. Lastly, it is easy to attach it to an email from SkyDrive.
    Thanked by:
    rdubmu 
    rdubmu likes this.
  4. #4  
    Skydrive is a very useful service. You can edit and copy your resume to your phone, any changes will change across all your devices. All your documents are saved to one location and on your PC after your initial sync all your documents are available for offline, any revisions thou you do need to connect to the internet to access them.

    You also won't have multiple copies of your resume going around.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan TheMan86 View Post


    Another question I have is, how can I attach the resume to an email I am writing/replying to? When I tap the attach button, all it does is take me to my pictures. I know it is possible to "Share" a document through email, but that sends a brand new email. I typically need to REPLY to an email with an attachment so the previous conversation is there. Is this possible?

    Thanks for any help!
    Once you put your document into skydrive and you open it, or if you email to yourself and open it up on your phone. You can click on the three ... at the bottom and click on share. From there you can use one of your email accounts to share it.

    Best part, it isn't a link to your skydrive document, rather it is the document itself. The same way you would do it from a PC.
  6. Huime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,021 Posts
    #6  
    in order to save the doc locally on the phone, the right way, at least MS expects you to do, is to upload it into skydrive then download from the phone skydrive app.
  7. WanderingTraveler's Avatar

    Posts
    4,708 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,718 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Huime View Post
    in order to save the doc locally on the phone, the right way, at least MS expects you to do, is to upload it into skydrive then download from the phone skydrive app.
    Aside from this method, as far as I know, assuming you linked your Microsoft Account to your phone, just go into the Office Hub and upload/download it from there.
    Reviver of Forum Games! I'm TheWPCTraveler over on Nintendo Life, as well. You'll also find me over at gamrConnect as well, because I like numbers.

    3DS Friend Code: 1779-1560-3109 | NNID: TheWPCTraveler
    Devices: Lumia 630, ASUS T100, Nintendo 3DS XL.
    Now Playing: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars [3DS]
    Now Watching: Pom Poko (平成狸合戦ぽんぽこ)


    I have a creepy avatar, don't I?
    Thanked by:
  8. Huime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,021 Posts
    #8  
    yea, still the skydrive via different app.
  9. Dan TheMan86's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    39 Posts
       #9  
    This is somewhat disappointing, but thank you all for the information! What if...heaven forbid...you are trying to get the document from a computer without an internet connection?? Then you would be royally screwed. Can't you place just about any document/picture/video file onto an Android phone using USB and it works?
    isleidyll likes this.
  10. rahul4aug's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    41 Posts
    #10  
    yes, we need a file manager definitely.. it really **** me off as I cant put any pdf or office doc from pc to phone w/o internet
    isleidyll likes this.
  11. vish2801's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    300 Posts
    #11  
    You can put but you have to use Windows Phone Desktop or metro app on pc and copy to phone. But you can't attach it via mail app, you need to open office hub and then need to use Share option to send it as an attachment. So much restrictions I know but fanboys love these restrictions and aggressively oppose to change it for sake of Security model. MS are you listening to people other than fanboys ?? Do something about this stupid separate storage for separate app and attachments thingy. This OS only worth for low end phones right now not for high end phones.
    Hope WP Blue brings some openness....

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    boxa72 and isleidyll like this.
  12. Xpider_MX's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    736 Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan TheMan86 View Post
    I am trying to put a word document that I use frequently (my resume) on my phone (from PC to phone via USB cable). I tried to copy the word document (docx) into the "Documents" folder on my Lumia 920 and I get an error message saying "Cannot copy Resume - The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected". I get this no matter what folder I try to copy it into. Is this a legitimate error message, or is not possible to copy a word document to the phone? If its not possible, I will be quite pissed off to be honest. I don't want to have to upload everything to skydrive and then download it to the phone when I have a USB cable capable of 480mbits!!! (theoretical of course)
    I have copied some excel and word documents in my Lumia 920 (documents folder). Try saving to .doc (word 2003).


    Quote Originally Posted by Dan TheMan86 View Post
    Another question I have is, how can I attach the resume to an email I am writing/replying to? When I tap the attach button, all it does is take me to my pictures. I know it is possible to "Share" a document through email, but that sends a brand new email. I typically need to REPLY to an email with an attachment so the previous conversation is there. Is this possible?

    Thanks for any help!
    I guess it is not possible, you can't attach documents to emails from the email app, only pictures.
  13. N_LaRUE's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    16,599 Posts
    Global Posts
    16,607 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan TheMan86 View Post
    This is somewhat disappointing, but thank you all for the information! What if...heaven forbid...you are trying to get the document from a computer without an internet connection?? Then you would be royally screwed. Can't you place just about any document/picture/video file onto an Android phone using USB and it works?
    First, yes you can put a Office document on the phone via the computer and USB. You place it in the Documents folder once you have your phone connected. To access the Office document go to Office Hub -> Phone your documents will be here.

    To send one via email all you do is long press while in the Office hub on the document and select Share... then select email.

    I believe WP Office uses the latest Office document extensions so you don't need to convert to .doc

    You can find more here: Office Hub | Windows Phone How-to (United States)
    Ignorance, there is a cure.

    I'm on Instagram - nlarue1971 - Travel and food photos is my thing taken by my L920
    Thanked by:
  14. eruptflail's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    288 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #14  
    I've found that you can just drag/drop them. It shouldn't be too hard, just like how I put music my phone, haha.
  15. enthuz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    264 Posts
    Global Posts
    878 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by N_LaRUE View Post
    First, yes you can put a Office document on the phone via the computer and USB. You place it in the Documents folder once you have your phone connected. To access the Office document go to Office Hub -> Phone your documents will be here.

    To send one via email all you do is long press while in the Office hub on the document and select Share... then select email.

    I believe WP Office uses the latest Office document extensions so you don't need to convert to .doc

    You can find more here: Office Hub | Windows Phone How-to (United States)
    How does this address attaching it to reply emails without a sky drive link or sending a new email (not original email trail)?

    Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    If it isn't Windows, then it isn't trying hard enough.
  16. #16  
    you probably can't save it due to some special formatting in the resume or you're using an old version of Office. you can definitely copy documents from PC to phone and vice versa.
  17. N_LaRUE's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    16,599 Posts
    Global Posts
    16,607 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by enthuz View Post
    How does this address attaching it to reply emails without a sky drive link or sending a new email (not original email trail)?

    Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    I must have just the gun there. Yes there is no way to reply to email and attach a document, even with it saved in Skydrive (I can't that is). A huge failing on MS part which I have to say doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

    What I normally do in this instance is copy the person's email address (if it's one I don't have already) and then create a new email via Office Hub, if the file is on the phone.

    I don't fully understand why you can't do this. I'm sure someone with a passion for WP will defend MS decision not to do this simple task. Probably something along the lines that WP is not meant to be used like that or something, in other words get a tablet or laptop (or Android or iOS) if you want better email functionality.
    Ignorance, there is a cure.

    I'm on Instagram - nlarue1971 - Travel and food photos is my thing taken by my L920
    Thanked by:
    isleidyll likes this.
  18. enthuz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    264 Posts
    Global Posts
    878 Global Posts
    #18  
    That's ridiculous of MS not to include such a simple and common task. Is there any word of it being part of Blue?

    Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    If it isn't Windows, then it isn't trying hard enough.
  19. #19  
    windows phone is so so *******..i can not upload my resume to naukri.com . indias best job site. also i can not attach resume to any job site. what a **** application. i own windows lumia 925 in 26000 rupee. and can no do even a simple tast. **** this phone. never buy windows phone. lumia is ******* phone. i have several draw back of this phone that u guys can study on net on https://in.answers.yahoo.com/questio...3204420AAOvbnS i also contacted nokia customer care but they sugested me to go for android . now i realized my mistake. please do not buy lumia???????????????????
    Thanked by:
  20. S Vaibhav's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,506 Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjeev Kumar11 View Post
    windows phone is so so *******..i can not upload my resume to naukri.com . indias best job site. also i can not attach resume to any job site. what a **** application. i own windows lumia 925 in 26000 rupee. and can no do even a simple tast. **** this phone. never buy windows phone. lumia is ******* phone. i have several draw back of this phone that u guys can study on net on https://in.answers.yahoo.com/questio...3204420AAOvbnS i also contacted nokia customer care but they sugested me to go for android . now i realized my mistake. please do not buy lumia???????????????????
    Use WP 8.1 preview, it has file upload feature in IE 11 Mobile. Also, stay tuned for an official file explorer coming from MS this month!
    Last edited by S Vaibhav; 05-03-2014 at 12:36 PM.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 620/HP Pavilion PC
  21. Poirots Progeny's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,126 Global Posts
    #21  
    Thank goodness a file browser is coming. That knowledge really made me excited - proper attachment and file management was sorely lacking.

    On imore read rene Richie's article on why ios needs a file manager. Then look at your wp...

    Some people don't see the need to be able to attach and manipulate files but the op's issue is an excellent example of why it is a must. And sending sky drive links - no. Not every profession uses the cloud. Nor will they click on a sky drive or google link. That won't change. For now anyway.

    And for those that get apoplectic at the mere mention of file management - just don't put it on your start screen and don't use it.

    Hope you get your issued sorted OP - just a little longer now and your problems will be solved! I hope.
  22. isleidyll's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #22  
    Microsoft loves to have us use OneDrive/SkyDrive for just about everything. I use Windows 8.1 without OneDrive. My Internet connection is too lousy for OneDrive to be useful. So, I agree that not being able to copy files via File Explorer when the phone is connected via USB is ridiculous. What's so hard about that Microsoft?
  23. isleidyll's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #23  
    Here is what is working for me. Attach the Windows phone to your PC with a USB cable. Your Windows phone will then appear as a drive in File Explorer. Find the file you want to send to your phone in File Explorer. Right click that file and do a "send to" to your phone. The file then appears in the "Files" app and can be opened in Word etc. Bob Hammerslag

Similar Threads

  1. Mobile Phones: Best, Worst and First.
    By MSFTisMIA in forum The "Off Topic" Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-01-2013, 01:33 PM
  2. Messaging App Windows 8.1 - FIX
    By rdubmu in forum Windows 8
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-30-2013, 01:20 PM
  3. Build 2013 Nokia Lumia 920.1 Phone Dev Kit
    By Jeffco3 in forum Developers Corner
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-28-2013, 10:34 AM

Posting Permissions