06-28-2013, 11:31 AM #1
- 170 Posts
As much as I love my 920 and 820, sometimes the little details MS can't fix makes me want to quit.
I get the feeling MS doesn't give a s**t about this platform at all. Lets list some things for beginners?
- Skype: Still sucks, and iOS/Android have better features than us. Not to mention the recently announced Video messaging etc. Not that I use it but c'mon, Skype < > MS. WTF happened.
- OTHER Storage: Thank you for the Storage Check thing it visually reconfirmed how much that Other storage makes me want to puke. I've tried everything the net suggested and it still renders my 820 useless after a month of use. 0 games installed. All media on SD. Auto Upload off. Shrink Storage used a million times. System takes 2GB that's normal. Then comes the 4.X GB OTHER Storage on my 8GB 820. Guess how much I have left with 0 games and a couple essential apps like Whatsapp installed? Less than 800mb.
- FB is getting better but nowhere near other platforms level.
- SkyDrive albums are blank in Photos hub: This is probably the most minor issue but still annoying, and hasn't been fixed in more than 8 months. This bug can't be that hard to squash and after searching various forums and sites, THERE IS STILL NO SOLUTION. Creating new folders and all works a bit until you reboot your phone. So it is not a complete fix. These small details do count.
I'm pretty sure the WP8 experience is still good. I love my 920 and it is the best smartphone I ever used. Other than the Other storage being a huge pain in the @$$ the rest are minor stuff that I can get through w/o any problems. But it is just the attitude of MS (JOE) promising everything with no sign of it whatsoever. The Photo hub issue is really minor and should've been fixed LONG time ago. In threads (in MS's own thread) people don't even get replies regarding this issue it's pathetic.
Again, I love my 920 but I just think these problems should be listed in one thread and I know I'm not the only one annoyed by this. MS's "Next firmware" updates take forever and if they are trying fix them all at once, I'm sorry but it isn't going to work because we fall behind other OS's by a mile. By the time we get what others have already, they are already on another level. And it's been like this already since WP7. It's 2013 MS.
Honestly getting tired.
06-28-2013, 11:52 AM #2
- 857 Posts
06-28-2013, 12:22 PM #4
- 170 Posts
I love my 920 but 8 months with no fixes to those simple problems is just WTF.
- 06-28-2013, 01:21 PM #6
I love my 920 and wouldn't trade it for any other phone, but the bugs/issues and the feeling of lack of support start to become a bit frustrating for users. Especially for users who have been around since day one.
Granted, there is already a thread for complaints and issues.
06-28-2013, 02:00 PM #8
- 857 Posts
06-28-2013, 03:25 PM #9
- 17 Posts
I really don't understand this complaint. WP8 has been out for 8 months, and MS is in the process of releasing their second update for it. My old android phone got ONE update in the two years I had it. Apple releases major iOS updates once a year. Do people complain about slow updates on the other platforms too?
- 06-28-2013, 03:56 PM #10
My understanding is that the other storage is a bug when u have auto upload on. If you turn it off when u restart your phone it should go away. I take a ton of photos. My other storage on my 920 is 4gigs and I have it auto-storage turned on.
As for Skype, it was already more advanced on other platforms and also that is where the users are. Unfortunately windowsphone market share is still pretty small. IOS and Android is probably 90% of the market with the last 10% between blackberry and Windowsphone.
I am pretty sure that something is up there sleeve. I am thinking that Skype will be integrates into the OS on Windows Phone 9. Kind of how Facetime and immessage is integrated into IOS phone and messaging apps.
I also noticed that SkyDrive pictures do not appear. I hope they fix it soon. You need at least 32gigs with windowsphone until they fix the other storage. 8gig and 16 gigs are not enough.
- 06-28-2013, 04:29 PM #12
People are not complaining because they want a major update right away. We just want an update/fix for what is broken. I am fine with waiting on the enhancements, but when there is a bug/issue that hinders the operation/experience of the smartphone in the way it is marketed, then yes, it is a valid complaint that shouldn’t take 8 months to fix.
Also...that is one reason I never owned an Android. I couldn't care less what Andorid or Apple does, as I do not own their products....currently.
- 06-28-2013, 05:12 PM #14
- 06-28-2013, 05:17 PM #15
I think most people are sitting back and relaxing. Just when it feels that MS is doing the same thing, sitting back and relaxing, is when people start to get frustrated.
As I have stated before, I love my 920 and Windows Phone OS.
- 06-28-2013, 05:25 PM #16
I think the difference with Android and Apple's updates cycles, is that their infrequent yearly(ish) updates are usually quite big, whereas WP8's have been quite minor so far. Granted of course, if 8.1 is released this year (unlikely as rumours have it as 2014), then WP is definitely a massive step up in terms of update frequency.
On this issue, I have gotta add that I would have hated being on WP7x... from what I understand, there are a large number of features/fixes I *would* have wanted, that years later still have not been addressed, despite the demand!
Its been said before, but as sweet as WP8 is, it does still feel pretty green. From everything I have read, I truly believe now that actually it will be 8.1 which is going to be THE making of Windows Phone... I would not be surprised if most (if not, all) the top requested features get implemented. And it sounds like from these forums, that is what a lot of users are banking on. So lets hope for everyones sake that they get it right!
- By BlazV in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 18Last Post: 07-26-2013, 12:52 PM
- By Funky Cricket in forum Nokia Lumia 928Replies: 8Last Post: 07-23-2013, 05:34 PM
- By sision in forum Nokia Lumia 620Replies: 4Last Post: 07-20-2013, 04:11 PM
- By Jelle Jansma in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 5Last Post: 07-01-2013, 03:11 AM
- By vttym in forum Nokia Lumia 928Replies: 2Last Post: 06-28-2013, 07:54 AM