Possible Features Coming to WP

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I've become sort of resigned to the fact that WP probably won't ever satisfy my needs 100% but I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised with WP8.1. However, I'm not expecting much and most likely to change platforms come the first qtr of 2014.
I hear you, and I'm with you.
Where I'm coming from: for my own personal use, I use an SGS3, have a Nokia Symbian phone as a back-up, and use an iPad Mini for reading and such.

I deal with Windows Phone in so much that, both of my parents who are older and retired, and live part of the year on a Greek island, bought one phone, a Lumia 800 a couple years ago, and most recently, I bought a Lumia 620 for my other parent. They use these on Vodaphone while in Greece, and on T-Mobile USA prepaid, while they're here, when they visit their grandkids for the holidays.
So as they know very little on how to maintain and do stuff on their Lumias, I'm the one who has to find and do the fixes and maintain the phones for them.

I don't use a Windows Phone for my own device, and given it's restriction/handcuffs, coming from both Symbian and Android, it's not for me.
I also don't think the 8.1 update (which supposedly isn't coming until some time in Q2 2014 !!!! per Paul Thurrott) is going to feature that much.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Call blocking anyone?

Seriously, this feature isn't even niche. It's *necessary*.
My cell number has recently received a lot of telemarketing calls/spam/ad robo calls recently, and it's such a convenience on my Galaxy to click on the phone number, click 'Reject contact/number' and never have to deal with calls from there again.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't use a Windows Phone for my own device, and given it's restriction/handcuffs, coming from both Symbian and Android, it's not for me.
I also don't think the 8.1 update (which supposedly isn't coming until some time in Q2 2014 !!!! per Paul Thurrott) is going to feature that much.

I came from Symbian and have an Android tablet. I was tossing up between a Nexus 4 and WP8 at the time. The Nexus 4 lost it's appeal with the glass body and only 16g of RAM. I'll be looking at what Google brings out next to see if it's what I want instead. That's if WP8.1 is a disappointment. My confidence isn't too high.

Fred P

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
No orientation lock :( If that's not in the next update I might drive to MS and give them a piece of my mind. It's not really a hard function to add.

1) ah yes the screen orientation lock

i wouldnt imagine it to be too difficult, some apps have actually
done it themselves (try UC browser, it has a neat screen lock faciltiy)

2) haptic feedback on the keyboard, maybe even swype support

3)be able to configure what gets displayed as a toast notification

4) alarm to work if phone is powered off

5)double tap to wake

6)allow to schedule profiles e.g. airplane or silent mode for night,
or for the duration of a flight/movie

thats my wish list for santa

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Been a ton of negativity on the forums lately. Ya'll are bumming the living crap out of me.

I will take my place in the usual position on these forums: Stupidly optimistic and unrealistically hopeful. Microsoft needs to ensure the important parts of WP work 100% seamlessly - the XBOX music and game intergrations, Skype, and Office. Then, they need to hope a plane, get overseas and brown nose Nokia to ensure they stay dedicated to the WP cause. Book a stop over and blow in HTC's ear as well.

Then, and only then, dive into new extras. Ensure they work perfect before launching. Some of these that are in need or at least wanted are easy - notification lights, allow different tones for different users texts, allow individual colors on tiles instead of just one, call blocking, some others. Others, such as notification centers, will take longer.

No matter what: DO NOT RELEASE THESE IF THEY ARE NOT PERFECT. Obviously, there will be glitches, but WP is gaining share. Bad press will kill it faster then missing features. I say take your time MS. Get it right.

Preparing for all those rebuttals saying how MS blows chunks and should have had this done already......

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I hope light around the device or surround sound or flexible screen or change color of phone with voice command or phone made out of carbon fiber, any of those would be a nice addition.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
More than anything.. I want my tiles to rotate into landscape.

I agree. And a couple of other "simple" things they should be able to do:

• A week view of the calendar
  • Different alerts for different email accounts
  • A Phone Only mode to mute all alerts except the phone, for bedside use
  • The ability to search for a song WITHIN a playlist
  • The ability to order a playlist on the device itself

These aren't huge issues or "exciting new features" that will drive new users to Windows Phone. They are just basic features that would make life easier.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
  • Custom sounds for SMS, MMS, Email, Notifications
  • Add File Manager to Windows Phone
  • Close app on multi task screen
  • Store apps & attachments on external storage and improve/provide micro SD support
  • Under status bar, we need a shortcut to turn on/off connections and Internet sharing
  • Allow a simple flick upward to close applications in the multitasking view
  • Battery Percentage at the status bar
  • FM Radio
  • Allow pasting in the phone dialer

I'd be happy to see these.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Now this is purely for Fun, I don't know if these features will be in windows phone, I'm just assuming S###

On the User Voice, These are the ones that got a reply from an Admin

"Thanks for your ______ suggestion. Always great to see such great feedback and excitement about this feature. While we can?t promise to ship every suggestion that gets submitted, we will be sure that our product development team receives your feedback. Keep those votes and suggestions coming!"

Feature Suggestions: Top (30110 ideas)

• Custom sounds for SMS, MMS, Email, Notifications
  • Add File Manager to Windows Phone
  • Close app on multi task screen
  • Store apps & attachments on external storage and improve/provide micro SD support
  • Under status bar, we need a shortcut to turn on/off connections and Internet sharing
  • Slide to the right on main screen to enable notifications
  • Allow a simple flick upward to close applications in the multitasking view
  • Battery Percentage at the status bar
  • Continue to use Zune for media sync in WP
  • FM Radio
  • Blinking LED notification for Missed Calls Email SMS
  • Make Xbox Video compatible with Windows Phone

Allow to set wallpaper on 1st and 2nd screen.

These all I want & I will be permanent WP user. :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I hear you, and I'm with you.
Where I'm coming from: for my own personal use, I use an SGS3, have a Nokia Symbian phone as a back-up, and use an iPad Mini for reading and such.

I deal with Windows Phone in so much that, both of my parents who are older and retired, and live part of the year on a Greek island, bought one phone, a Lumia 800 a couple years ago, and most recently, I bought a Lumia 620 for my other parent. They use these on Vodaphone while in Greece, and on T-Mobile USA prepaid, while they're here, when they visit their grandkids for the holidays.
So as they know very little on how to maintain and do stuff on their Lumias, I'm the one who has to find and do the fixes and maintain the phones for them.

Ditto my case. I've given 520 to my father and sometimes he becomes clueless and wants to go back to feature ph. I've to educate him about ph a lot.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I came from Symbian and have an Android tablet. I was tossing up between a Nexus 4 and WP8 at the time. The Nexus 4 lost it's appeal with the glass body and only 16g of RAM. I'll be looking at what Google brings out next to see if it's what I want instead. That's if WP8.1 is a disappointment. My confidence isn't too high.

I already bought Nexus 4 as my previous Nokia symbian device was on a verge of death, bought 520 for my father for just testing wp only as I'm die hard Nokia fan and want Nokia to succeed. And I'm having big hope from WP blue update...

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
  • Continue to use Zune for media sync in WP
  • FM Radio

Zune - Since they have converted the Zune pass to Xbox Music Pass, don't thin that will happen.
FM Radio - Believe that is confirmed to be coming except the L620 which doesnot have FM Radio H/W
Pasting in Phone Dialler - Already there i have been using it since day one

But for the others listed.. agreed!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
More than anything.. I want my tiles to rotate into landscape.

This^ this is the first thing I tried with WP7 and reason why we don't have qwerty landscape sliders... Nokia E7 with WP8, Pureview, Msd, Wireless charging, quad core, 1080p (latter not a must) would be my dream phone.

Fred P

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
oh yes, to be able to configure the Bing button on the phone:
to launch Bing only on long keypress, not jut by tickling it by mistake when doing something else

actually, it would be cool to be able to configure this button as the users pleases, to launch an app, speed dial, web site
forward IE navigation button perhaps?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss