A question about Verizon sim cards

Riverrunner88

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Is the Sim card from the 928 usable in say a verizon andriod phone like a S3, Razor, or similar ? Is it just plug and play or is there more to it?

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, the SIM card is only responsible for the LTE data side of things. Voice and SMS are still using CDMA radio and requires the phone to be activate on your account. Not exactly plug and play like AT&T or T-Mobile phones.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, the SIM card is only responsible for the LTE data side of things. Voice and SMS are still using CDMA radio and requires the phone to be activate on your account. Not exactly plug and play like AT&T or T-Mobile phones.

It's plug and play with any Verizon LTE phone. The sim card associates it with your account. You can take a friends Verizon LTE, put in your sim card, and it will be "your" phone with your phone number.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Don't believe this is the case with any modern phones. The initial batch of LTE devices worked this way, but I believe Verizon has modified the system for subsequent hardware :)

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It's plug and play with any Verizon LTE phone. The sim card associates it with your account. You can take a friends Verizon LTE, put in your sim card, and it will be "your" phone with your phone number.

That might be true if the other phone is currently actively used. But what happens if you put into an LTE phone that is no longer activated on Verizon network? CDMA side still need the ESN be activated on an account.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Don't believe this is the case with any modern phones. The initial batch of LTE devices worked this way, but I believe Verizon has modified the system for subsequent hardware :)
No, Verizon still requires separate CMDA and LTE on all the current phones. There was a test of Voice Over LTE but it is not yet deployed. Verizon was hoping VoLTE to be used 2014 or later. See here: Verizon wraps up LTE rollout; plans all-VoIP phone launch for late 2014 — Tech News and Analysis

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
So, if I'm going to say, Japan, I can't just pop out my Verizon sim card and pop in a Softbank prepaid sim card and have a 'domestic' Japanese cell phone?

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Interestingly, despite what foxbat121 said above (which I think is accurate), you can not use a 4G LTE device on Verizon as purely a 3G CDMA device; you must have a SIM card installed to activate the smartphone on a line.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So, if I'm going to say, Japan, I can't just pop out my Verizon sim card and pop in a Softbank prepaid sim card and have a 'domestic' Japanese cell phone?

Japan uses WCDMA 2100Mhz almost exclusively (not sure if LTE is available now). So, it depends on the hardware of your Verizon phone. Does it support WCDMA 3G @ 2100? Typically you will find that on Verizon phones labeled as global phone.

FYI, WCDMA is what AT&T and T-Mobile uses for 3G, nothing related to Verizon's CDMA.

Riley2521

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

False. If the device is 4G, just putting in the SIM card in will activate the device completely.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
No, Verizon still requires separate CMDA and LTE on all the current phones. There was a test of Voice Over LTE but it is not yet deployed. Verizon was hoping VoLTE to be used 2014 or later. See here: Verizon wraps up LTE rollout; plans all-VoIP phone launch for late 2014 — Tech News and Analysis

You are correct, but you are incorrect about the device activation. The sim card handles activation for the LTE and CDMA now. You do not need to call Verizon to activate a phone anymore if it uses a sim card. That is what I was correcting you on. :)

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
You are correct, but you are incorrect about the device activation. The sim card handles activation for the LTE and CDMA now. You do not need to call Verizon to activate a phone anymore if it uses a sim card. That is what I was correcting you on. :)

I agree and confirm what BanBoy said.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Japan uses WCDMA 2100Mhz almost exclusively (not sure if LTE is available now). So, it depends on the hardware of your Verizon phone. Does it support WCDMA 3G @ 2100? Typically you will find that on Verizon phones labeled as global phone.

FYI, WCDMA is what AT&T and T-Mobile uses for 3G, nothing related to Verizon's CDMA.

Wow, I don't know about all that, but I do know that I have a Nokia Lumia 928 on Verizon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3