Do we need 1080p?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay. I have read through this entire thread. Every comment. Let me see if I can sum it up:

Yes. And no.

Look, even the most stingy proponent of WP that feels our favorite OS can do no wrong (come on, now, you know who you are) can not be satisfied with the pace of sales. Android packages itself as cutting edge, top shelf, super adaptive, economical, immune to malaria and cloaked in Batman's cowl. Okay, I made the last two up. But, the point remains. If I said I believe 85% -90% of cell phone buyers stumble into their carrier of choice and just grab what is the hottest at the moment with name recognition, would anyone argue? We are the 15%-10%. But everyone else needs a hook to buy something new. The hook is pretty screens with salesmen falling all over themselves talking about the top shelf goodies that come with it.

4 things sell a device these days, in my humble, unimportant opinion, and in no real order:

1) Name/recognition. WP8 is light years ahead of that over WP7. This is being overcome with time and promotion.
2) Cameras. Cell phones are now the standard for photo's for the everyday user. All companies are improving this tech.
3) Ecosystem. As in music, videos, game selection, apps, cloud storage, so on. This is only now becoming important. MS is doing okay here. Apple rules, but MS is improving.
4) The screen. For multi-media and games, large screen phablets, and generally being able to "future proof" a device. MS is so lacking here. We all have to admit that.

Don't sell me on battery life. Everyone has chargers in their cars and places of work and in at least 2 rooms in their houses. Horrid battery life is nearly accepted in this day and age. The standard is getting through a 8 hour day. 2 years ago it was like 2 days of life.

But, I understand the argument of WP screens being fluid and responsive and 1080P would make no difference. I understand that BASICALLY there is no difference on a screen of a mobile device. I understand it is a sore subject for those of us sick of Android fans throwing it up in everyones face in posts when it is simple a way to scream my phone is better then yours, even if it still lags and freezes when yours doesn't.

But put me in the camp of we need it. Have to have it. Should have had it by now. No reason to not have it. Just like dual core on WP7 devices. It would have made very little difference, except that it would have made a difference. 1 less thing to work from behind on.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok so you all seem to be pretty set on 1080p

So we can catch up to spec war fandroids.

And when we have caught up and theres a Samusng product release with a 4k screen Q1 2014 you can all hold your 1080p screens an inch from your nose and cry about how you can see pixels on it while you cant on Samsungs new 4k screen.

So why doesn't everyone ask to go 4K now and get in front?

Its a marketing necessity apparently.

Would still be as completely pointless as 1080p on a sub 5" device.

(Caution: the above post contains a heavy dose of sarcasm with a little bit of pointless truth thrown in)

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
We don't "need" 1080p screens, nobody needs them. They are nice for sure, and the difference is noticeable. But we still destroy apple in the screen dept.

Lets not keep making a mountain out of a molehill

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Maybe its because I have AMOLED with pentile, but I can see the pixels on my 928. So yes 1080p would be welcome. I didn't think it would be needed, but it is.

In Limbo

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Ok so you all seem to be pretty set on 1080p

So we can catch up to spec war fandroids.

And when we have caught up and theres a Samusng product release with a 4k screen Q1 2014 you can all hold your 1080p screens an inch from your nose and cry about how you can see pixels on it while you cant on Samsungs new 4k screen.

So why doesn't everyone ask to go 4K now and get in front?

Would still be as completely pointless as 1080p on a sub 5" device.

(Caution: the above post contains a heavy dose of sarcasm with a little bit of pointless truth thrown in)

If Deadpool really wrote on blogs, it'd be you, ; lolol

ah06

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Again with the "marketing necessity"??

Nokia phablets are inbound. 1080p on 6" is a TECHNICALLY sound requirement for a flagship experience. At 6" and even at 5.5" the difference is EASY to tell. And you will also see different amount of content in browsers and such. What is the point exactly of having a large screen when you see the same amount of content but just bigger?

The notion that 1080p is purely marketing needs to die. It may have been for <5" devices but not for ones larger. But no one has put them on sub 5" devices except HTC. So where does this marketing fluff originate from? The S4? The one that has better battery life than the 720p S3? And the L920? The iPhone that we claim to have beaten but which offers similar ppi levels?

Its just as bad as "we don't need multi core devices". Yes you do. UI smoothness was never the issue, but it directly affects app loading speeds and the best of the games that can be ported. It affects how high you can go with your experience rather than lifting the lowest experience possible.

We actually need more than 1080p. Yes we need 4K. Because the next step in wearables is glass like technology where 1080p isn't enough for "retina" experience (Go ahead, plug in the numbers. I'll wait). This isn't far away, its imminent in the next year or so. Android is already there powering wearables. Google Glass has a 360p resolution but thats with pixels that are about 8 times smaller. Multiply it out, what do you get? With a small display right in front of your eyes, standard ppi measures go through the window since you are that close. When you catch up to the requirements then, people will have moved into contact lens displays which are right on your eye. Technology keeps moving forward, it is your prerogative to stop...and end up behind.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Again with the "marketing necessity"?.

Yes, because almost everyone here incl. myself is talking only about <= 5". I thought we had made that clear. If you are going to open that up and include any sized screen, then there is no debate to be had. Even your call for 4k screens is ridiculously insufficient, as I can still see pixels on my home theatre screen at that resolution.

This debate makes absolutely no sense without attaching a display size to it.

If you are talking only about OS support, then yes, the OS needs to support that resolution, but that is not how the OP framed the question. He asked specifically why he would need 1080p on a device like the L920. Answer: None, except for marketing purposes.

And you will also see different amount of content in browsers and such. What is the point exactly of having a large screen when you see the same amount of content but just bigger?

And this is still wrong. Do the experiment on a L920 and a L820. There is no difference to the amount of content you can see (neither in an app's UI nor in IE). The difference is only in sharpness. I don't know where your line of thought is going astray on this issue, but it is going astray somewhere.

Last edited:

ah06

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, because almost everyone here incl. myself is talking only about <= 5". I thought we had made that clear. If you are going to open that up and include any sized screen, then there is no debate to be had. Even your call for 4k screens is ridiculously insufficient, as I can still see pixels on my home theatre screen at that resolution.

If you are talking only about OS support, then yes, the OS needs to support that resolution, but that is not how the OP framed the question. He asked specifically why he would need 1080p on a device like the L920. Answer: None, except for marketing purposes.

Again, the marketing necessity was said by someone else too (poster above)
Wasn't aimed at you solely. And are we reading the same thread? On the first page, 1080p was very much described as gimmicky without qualification multiple times.

The OPs line was:
Can anyone convince why a phone would need this? From six inches away I cannot see pixels on my 920.

He means any phone. He wants to know if 1080p is applicable to phones. That he cannot see pixels on his 920 is just an indicator that 720p might be good enough for other devices/distances.
I on the other hand have clearly always said its all about distance and display size as well. Again you are responding to me when I wasn't exactly picking issues in your arguments. So not sure where you wanna take this?

Yes. That's my point. I have said that consistently, other haven't, yet you claim they have.

No. Pretty clearly no. He asked on phones. Phablets are now phones. It is very much an OS support qn then.

Just look at the L920 and the L820. Both run the same OS, both have display diagonals of 4.3", but the L920 has a resolution of 768x1200 while the L820 has a resolution of 480x800. If your theory were true, we'd see more content on the L920 than we do on the L820, but we do not.
And this is still wrong. Do the experiment on a L920 and a L820. There is no difference to the amount of content you can see (neither in an app's UI nor in IE). The difference is only in sharpness. I don't know where your line of thought is going astray on this issue, but it is going astray somewhere.

No it isn't wrong. WP SPECIFICALLY and CURRENTLY handles all devices as having effective resolutions of 800x480 and then scales according to actual hardware. That is why you currently see the same amount of content on a 820 and 920. This is NOT applicable to all platforms, its specific to some and only currently. WP itself is intending to change this with 1080p screens. MS obviously recognises that the extra flexibility offered by 1080p and phablet screen allows opportunities to display greater content on the screen, hence the mockups of the WP running on Phablets. Android too chose to display more on the screen on bigger screens with bigger resolutions (more icons, more list items, larger content areas).

So when 1080p WP Phablets are released, rest assured you should definitely be seeing more content compared to your 920 or 820.

Multi-resolution apps for Windows Phone 8
Windows Phone 8: Multiple Screen Resolutions

Those links show how it was handled currently and why you see the same content on various resolutions. This will NOT be the case going forward towards 1080p due to the leap in resolution and screen size.

Last edited:

ah06

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I crack myself up. Knew someone would bite on the 4K

Judging by your posting history, you have no idea how display resolutions work or how much of a factor distance is. Display size and resolution aren't the only relevant things.
Either that or you're deliberately leaving out context to show how ridiculous 4K is

Let's have a look at your comments in this thread.

NO. End of discussion. Close thread. Move along

One of the first few posts. No qualification. Nothing.

1080p isn't needed on mobile devices

5.5" is mobile yes? 6"? What about 7"? Tablets are mobile devices? What about glasses? Are they mobile?

So you admit that if held at 1" to your face, it becomes relevant?
Well I showed you exactly how that will happen. With Glasses. Google glass currently does about 360p and apparently will be released with 720p. But that's a tiny 0.375x0.375 display, when you make that larger to about one inch. What then? How far exactly do you think these glasses are from your eyes?

You have added very little real quality or data here but seem hell bent on imposing your opinions that higher resolutions are unnecessary

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
1080p is a gimmick on phones anyway, the sort of thing used to sell Android phones to clueless consumers who think that bigger = better. No we don't need it on Windows Phones, it's there purely as a selling point and serves no useful purpose.

ah06

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
@a5cent Ok this time my reply is directed at you ;)

Check the poster above me and the one earlier as well claiming to be smarter than rest. Do you see qualifications there or do you see blanket statements? On the first page itself, there were 4 (not 1) claiming its entirely unnecessary or a gimmick without qualification. Now we have people claiming the same DESPITE arguments and evidence provided to conclusively prove otherwise.

Also please do research the scaling and changes in content display coming in GDR3, you will see that the single biggest reason for 1080p is to be able to see more content. It is just silly to be looking at the same content on a 6" 1080p screen as a 3.5" 480p screen

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
So a selling point is not a useful purpose? Guess every month when people are looking at the market share graphs etc, you should highlight wp8 isn't in competition with androids, and only with wp7

I'm not saying its the only purpose.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
@a5cent Ok this time my reply is directed at you ;)

Check the poster above me and the one earlier as well claiming to be smarter than rest. Do you see qualifications there or do you see blanket statements? On the first page itself, there were 4 (not 1) claiming its entirely unnecessary or a gimmick without qualification. Now we have people claiming the same DESPITE arguments and evidence provided to conclusively prove otherwise.

Also please do research the scaling and changes in content display coming in GDR3, you will see that the single biggest reason for 1080p is to be able to see more content. It is just silly to be looking at the same content on a 6" 1080p screen as a 3.5" 480p screen

Don't tar me with the same brush as the others, I qualified why 1080p is not needed. If you want another reason then how about fact that apps and games don't scale to 720p on WP yet anyway. If you feel that 1080p isn't a gimmick then go buy a Galaxy Mega and then come back and tell us if you disagree.

ah06

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Don't tar me with the same brush as the others, I qualified why 1080p is not needed

What qualification was that?? That you think its something meant to appeal to Android drones? Because I don't see any evidence of any mention of Display sizes, viewing distances, ppi. Qualification is EXACTLY what your post was entirely devoid of. You literally said it serves no useful purpose other than as a sales gimmick.

If you feel that 1080p isn't a gimmick then go buy a Galaxy Mega and then come back and tell us if you disagree.

Yes I feel 1080p isn't a gimmick. Ok I picked up a Galaxy Mega from one of the development devices. Now what? What point were you making here considering the Mega doesn't have a 1080p display and it's display is no where as sharp as an S4 or iPhone or Lumia 920. The closest of them have 100 ppi on the Galaxy Mega 6.3

You knew the Mega 6.3 doesn't have a 1080p display right? Or did you think it did? I wouldn't be surprised

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
So a selling point is not a useful purpose? Guess every month when people are looking at the market share graphs etc, you should highlight wp8 isn't in competition with androids, and only with wp7

I'm not saying its the only purpose.

Selling points are useful as long as they sell something practical and useful, which 1080p on a phone isn't. I guess that both you and ah06 have come from Android with it's 6" 1080p displays and octa core processors, things that WP doesn't need.

How do you think that the iPhone keeps selling?

ah06

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I guess that both you and ah06 have come from Android with it's 6" 1080p displays and octa core processors, things that WP doesn't need.

Got it, so you indeed were under the impression the Mega has a 1080p screen and furthermore, that it made no difference. You are just factually wrong about it all so far, no point in continuing this.

How do you think that the iPhone keeps selling?

The iPhone has a 4 in screen with sufficient high ppi at usual viewing distances. It is *gasp* Retina!!!OMG

6" devices with 720p will be noticeably worse, noticeably. Merely asking for the same density on them, which will be attained only with 1080p. Also you want to see more on a 6" device don't you? Or do you want the exact same content displayed on a 3.5" WP and a 6" WP?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Got it, so you indeed were under the impression the Mega has a 1080p screen and furthermore, that it made no difference. You are just factually wrong about it all so far, no point in continuing this.

Was I, how would YOU know what I was thinking. YOU are the one who's factually incorrect about everything, ok bye, don't let the door hit you on the way back to Android Central!!!!

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
@ah06 Picking parts of my quotes to suit you is pretty childish. I already stated that on devices above 6 inches 1080p is needed, guess you missed that part. I guess you also missed out a line on another post saying that the post was heavily laden with sarcasm.

If you're of low enough intelligence and don't understand sarcasm I forgive you. However you seem to be attacking everybody in this thread that doesn't agree with you which just isn't on. People are entitled to opinions, doesn't make them right or wrong. As the saying goes opinions are like a$$holes. Everybody's got one.

You're coming acoss like you have a very large opinion. (No sarcasm in this post)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo