Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By Sanjay Chandra
  • 1 Post By Muessig
  • 1 Post By tmccaghren
  1. Sanjay Chandra's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
       #1  
    Lately , I have been seeing lot of threads about WP should support 1080p or quad Core etc.

    Let me Give you the bottom line :
    "People DON'T CARE"

    Want an example ?
    Samsung ships over 300+ million devices and out of them , only 20-30% have 1080p Display.Apple Sells iPhone 5 in millions and it doesn't have a 720p display , Neither does iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S or even "iPad" Mini.

    Even if u take Whole Smartphone market , All these 10s of 1080p display devices won't even cross combined sales of iPhone 5 , 4S and 4 (every single quarter)

    I have seen many people posting doom posts on iPad Mini comparing it to Nexus 7 but guess what ? iPad Mini has higher satisfaction rating and also sold more than 2 times faster than Nexus 7.
    Same thing happend with USB on Surface or other things.iPad is happily sitting at top with no USB , no Mass storage , Mobile OS etc.

    This is what people want : Something that is EASY to use and "works"

    You want to disagree ? Sure , Everyone has their Opinion.

    1080p or Quad Cores won't drive sales.

    Putting Full OS in a tablet doesn't drive sales.

    People only care about Apps and "basic" features , If a platform is successful in this respect , Its easier to drive sales.

    First when the platform gets all the "basics correctly" and has "Apps" , Then we can think about boosting specs or having hu-ha display.

    You can say things like "Windows Phone won't succeed if there is no x feature or y feature"
    Answer : We (Tech community) don't decide the success of a device , Its people who decide the success.

    You can defend things like "Phone definitely needs 1080p display or quad core" but the market speaks for itself about these things.

    My Answer is :
    There are more serious issues what WP needs to solve but 1080p display or Quad core is not one of these.
  2. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    #2  
    Lets just say that you are entirely correct (though a lot of people don't but the high end phones because of price, not want) and maybe 15% of the market cares about the specs. Why alienate 15%? Sure there are other issues with WP more important but it is not like you can only solve one problem aand not another. Multiple issues can be fixed at the same time.
  3. th0mas96's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    431 Posts
    #3  
    unluckily, that's not completely true. All the time, the "best smartphone in the world" is important, even if people buy a cheaper one. atm this "best smartphone" is the S4, since it has an 8-core CPU (it never uses all 8 but ok). This gets recognition, and with the talk about it it gets publicity. And unluckily, people only care about the specifications, never about the real speed of the device. Due to the (****ty) Touchwiz Interface, the S4 still lags like hell. In a Browser benchmark test, it loses against my 820. Still, it has the higher specifications -> people think it's the best smartphone out there.
    I don't see this changing anytime soon, and that's why I'm really happy Nokia makes a 41 MP phone. Even though this is completely oversized, it gets recognition. btw: I'm hearing the S4 has a way better camera than the 925. Why? it has more megapixels.
  4. Kellzea's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    408 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    Lets just say that you are entirely correct (though a lot of people don't but the high end phones because of price, not want) and maybe 15% of the market cares about the specs. Why alienate 15%? Sure there are other issues with WP more important but it is not like you can only solve one problem aand not another. Multiple issues can be fixed at the same time.

    But that's just it, 1080p is coming later this year, so it is being "fixed".

    I don't understand why we are still on this.
  5. Kellzea's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    408 Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by th0mas96 View Post
    unluckily, that's not completely true. All the time, the "best smartphone in the world" is important, even if people buy a cheaper one. atm this "best smartphone" is the S4, since it has an 8-core CPU (it never uses all 8 but ok). This gets recognition, and with the talk about it it gets publicity. And unluckily, people only care about the specifications, never about the real speed of the device. Due to the (****ty) Touchwiz Interface, the S4 still lags like hell. In a Browser benchmark test, it loses against my 820. Still, it has the higher specifications -> people think it's the best smartphone out there.
    I don't see this changing anytime soon, and that's why I'm really happy Nokia makes a 41 MP phone. Even though this is completely oversized, it gets recognition. btw: I'm hearing the S4 has a way better camera than the 925. Why? it has more megapixels.
    Basically yes, people are stupid. That's why iPhones sold so well, and continue to. Its all "retina display" which means nothing and is a massive lie. The human eye is capable of seeing up to 998 ppi. The average person can see around 400ppi.

    This octa core thing is stupid too. 8 cores, why? My 920 runs faster on 2 cores. Unless they port battlefield 4 over, i cant see the point.
  6. Muessig's Avatar


    Posts
    4,148 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,198 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #6  
    What it all boils down to is brand perception. If you are perceived to be offering products that aren't as advanced as the competition, you are perceived to be less relevant. Sure only x% of people actually care about specs and let specs affect their buying decision. Let's think about WP7. We know it's a really quick, snappy performing OS and has good hardware to match. It has single-core cpu support and runs at 400x800 resolution. Again, we know that the lower resolution and single core cpu support doesn't matter in general use and even arguably outperforms a lot of the dual-core (maybe even quad-core?) devices that were out at the time but people go by numbers. Impress people with 2 cpu's and average joe thinks that's got to be better than one, right?

    Same situation today with Quad and Octa-core devices. We could argue that out dual-core WP8 devices aren't any worse performing than an S4 and even might have better battery life or whatever you want to claim, but most people are sold a device by people who do care about specs. Most people are recommended a product in a shop by a salesperson that knows the facts off by heart and in that situation, average joe consumer listens to someone that's supposed to know what they're talking about. So WP sees less sales because people perceive the brand as offering out of date technology for a similar price. The less excuses you can give the sales people for trying to steer people away from WP the better.

    This is why Quad-core matters. The performance doesn't have to be better, the battery life can be the same once you've got the phone itself but as far as the buying experience itself goes, you have to be perceived as being competitive, up to date and something you *need* to consider as your next phone. This is why specs matter and why Nokia and WP need to keep up with the competition.
    Thanked by:
    Jupast likes this.
  7. tmccaghren's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Muessig View Post
    What it all boils down to is brand perception. If you are perceived to be offering products that aren't as advanced as the competition, you are perceived to be less relevant. Sure only x% of people actually care about specs and let specs affect their buying decision. Let's think about WP7. We know it's a really quick, snappy performing OS and has good hardware to match. It has single-core cpu support and runs at 400x800 resolution. Again, we know that the lower resolution and single core cpu support doesn't matter in general use and even arguably outperforms a lot of the dual-core (maybe even quad-core?) devices that were out at the time but people go by numbers. Impress people with 2 cpu's and average joe thinks that's got to be better than one, right?

    Same situation today with Quad and Octa-core devices. We could argue that out dual-core WP8 devices aren't any worse performing than an S4 and even might have better battery life or whatever you want to claim, but most people are sold a device by people who do care about specs. Most people are recommended a product in a shop by a salesperson that knows the facts off by heart and in that situation, average joe consumer listens to someone that's supposed to know what they're talking about...
    I understand your argument. Yes, brand perception is the biggest key factor in the decision made to buy.

    That said, the biggest complaints I have heard about WP phones have to do with the OS, and not the hardware. The perception is that there are "no" apps, and the OS lacks "basic" features like notifications and other common complaints we hear on this forum.

    I honestly think the OS needs netter PR, especially since the CPU and RAM not being as crazy high-spec can mean lower cost for a flagship experience... Keep in mind, as the specs increase, so too does the cost transferred to the customer.
    Muessig likes this.
  8. The Hustleman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,345 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by th0mas96 View Post
    unluckily, that's not completely true. All the time, the "best smartphone in the world" is important, even if people buy a cheaper one. atm this "best smartphone" is the S4, since it has an 8-core CPU (it never uses all 8 but ok). This gets recognition, and with the talk about it it gets publicity. And unluckily, people only care about the specifications, never about the real speed of the device. Due to the (****ty) Touchwiz Interface, the S4 still lags like hell. In a Browser benchmark test, it loses against my 820. Still, it has the higher specifications -> people think it's the best smartphone out there.
    I don't see this changing anytime soon, and that's why I'm really happy Nokia makes a 41 MP phone. Even though this is completely oversized, it gets recognition. btw: I'm hearing the S4 has a way better camera than the 925. Why? it has more megapixels.
    S4 is the best device though.

    There's nothing it can't do.




    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
  9. Dave Blake's Avatar
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

    Posts
    5,660 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,163 Global Posts
    #9  
    We already have this discussion on going in this thread:

    Do we need 1080p?

    No need for another thread. Thread Closed

Similar Threads

  1. Lumia 720 Capdase Case and Screen Protector
    By Valiant Lumia 720 in forum Nokia Lumia 720
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 08:10 AM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-17-2013, 07:30 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-18-2013, 01:00 AM
  4. AM I the only one with zero issues with my L920?
    By Xpider_MX in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-17-2013, 07:52 PM
  5. Live Tiles not working for Instance and Swapchat
    By kjordan_29 in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-10-2013, 02:06 PM

Posting Permissions