psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
WPC, what can we expect from GDR3? Also when will the GDR3 update be available (Fall/winter 2013 or in 2014)? If you think the updated will be available in 2014, do you believe this will help or hurt WP8?

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
WPC, what can we expect from GDR3? Also when will the GDR3 update be available (Fall/winter 2013 or in 2014)? If you think the updated will be available in 2014, do you believe this will help or hurt WP8?

i expect early 2014, and i would presume a notification area. Not sure what else.

I don't think it can hurt. Sure some people will throw their toys out of their prams and abandon wp if the update doesn't come out tomorrow. But who cares about them anyway, they will do the same to apple next year, blackberry the year after, then htc before they come back.

Microsoft are in this for the long game. They are gonna make sure the update is right and stable first, instead of releasing it prematurely.

All it will ever do is help. Apple seem lost in the water and android hasn't had a proper update since gingerbread. So yeah, wont hurt.

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
GDR3 will come out October/Nov time more than likely. MS isn't working on GDR2 anymore its already done. So any work right now is strictly GDR3 with the 1080p prototypes and 8.1.

It sucks that the WP8 team is behind the W8 team though.

Amran Nagal

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
i expect early 2014, and i would presume a notification area. Not sure what else.

I don't think it can hurt. Sure some people will throw their toys out of their prams and abandon wp if the update doesn't come out tomorrow. But who cares about them anyway, they will do the same to apple next year, blackberry the year after, then htc before they come back.

Microsoft are in this for the long game. They are gonna make sure the update is right and stable first, instead of releasing it prematurely.

All it will ever do is help. Apple seem lost in the water and android hasn't had a proper update since gingerbread. So yeah, wont hurt.

Microsoft maybe in the long game but Nokia has to survive for windows phone to continue.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
+1 And if Nokia goes, who'll take care of WP from OEM side ??

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

but Nokia wont go. WP is growing market share day by day, and its all Nokia. Sure total handsets shipped is down for them as they mothball Symbian, but profitability is up, cash flow is up and market relevance is way up.

They are kicking ***.

Remember when everyone claimed they were dead because they held a.stock holder meeting, but it turned out they were buying out siemens half of the joint venture?

Yeah.......cant buy stuff without money.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Not sure what you mean by hurt WP8. Considering the issues and lack of functions there are on WP8 I was worried that it was even going to grow let alone worrying about whether it will be hurt by what some people consider slow updates (I'm one of those people). It would seem that for the average smartphone user, WP8 is ok. Of course we have no idea how many phones have been returned due to issues and those people taking up other phones.

Anyway, I think you might be confused. My understanding of General Distribution Release updates is that they have nothing to do with WP8.1 (major OS update). They are small patch updates between major OS updates. So we first had GDR1, soon to have GDR2 (August sometime?) then GDR3 near the end of this year. WP8.1 first quarter of 2014 sometime. At least that's what I've come to understand. We don't have an official road map of updates. Hopefully the GDR's fill fix the issues and add some features but I'm not expecting anything major until WP8.1.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
GDR 3 will be Shown inn Sept, and out by Nov Dec only in the new devices.
It will roll out to evryone in Jan Feb May be.

In Oct / Sept Nokia will Unveil new Phones they will contain the Microsofts GDR 3 Update, Packed with Nokia's Spices and Sauces.

as we are getting amber treatment we'l recive something similar in GDR 3

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
GDR 3 will be Shown inn Sept, and out by Nov Dec only in the new devices.
It will roll out to evryone in Jan Feb May be.

In Oct / Sept Nokia will Unveil new Phones they will contain the Microsofts GDR 3 Update, Packed with Nokia's Spices and Sauces.

as we are getting amber treatment we'l recive something similar in GDR 3

I think people are confusing GDR and WP8.1 (aka Blue) updates. GDR3 is before the WP8.1 update. Any new phones coming out in/after September will have GDR3 and we should have it before the end of the year. WP8.1 will be out first quarter of 2014. Please stop confusing the two.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Apple seem lost in the water and android hasn't had a proper update since gingerbread. So yeah, wont hurt.

So, you wouldn't consider Ice cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean as a proper updates for Android? Really? There is talk of the next major Android version arriving this year too named Key Lime Pie (Android 5).

fatrat727

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I think what he meant was how the updates are distributed. Sure android 5 will be out soon but not all devices as usual will get it at time of release. Look how long JB took to get into the wild. Hopefully MS and the carriers will push out coordinated updates in a timely manner. Essentially I think their end game is to have all wp8 devices update at the same time so no one is left out. It's a long shot but it would be nice.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
So, you wouldn't consider Ice cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean as a proper updates for Android? Really? There is talk of the next major Android version arriving this year too named Key Lime Pie (Android 5).

Maybe ics, but definatly not jb or jb2, jb3. They are either just graphics patches to make it look nicer, or anti lag patches. Nothings actually been added. Its been pretty static as far as adding new stuff is concerned.

But say im wrong, these were propper updates, they are still over 8 months apart. So the wp update regularity is fine.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Maybe ics, but definatly not jb or jb2, jb3. They are either just graphics patches to make it look nicer, or anti lag patches. Nothings actually been added. Its been pretty static as far as adding new stuff is concerned.

But say im wrong, these were propper updates, they are still over 8 months apart. So the wp update regularity is fine.

I've had my 920 for eight months now but have only received two minor updates. Nothing major yet. I've had my GS3 for six months and have had two minor updates too. So the regularity of updates for both devices/platforms is about the same in my experience. I'm due another update soon(ish) for the S3 that adds a fair amount of features taken from the S4 then S3 owners are supposed to receive the Key Lime Pie update sometime after that. I know WP 8 will get some decent updates too but the point I'm making is that Samsung have added and will continue to add new features for the S3 so it's far from static.

mxtremex6

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
GDR3 will have support for 1080p and quad core..thats fr sure...no idea abt wat it is going to bring to the current devices, and maybe we need not guess that...Lets hav amber and gdr2 then the gdr3

mxtremex6

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I think what he meant was how the updates are distributed. Sure android 5 will be out soon but not all devices as usual will get it at time of release. Look how long JB took to get into the wild. Hopefully MS and the carriers will push out coordinated updates in a timely manner. Essentially I think their end game is to have all wp8 devices update at the same time so no one is left out. It's a long shot but it would be nice.

It is a fact that most of d droid updates are meant to "improve" the os by removing bugs!,,,unlike wp where we get the real UPDATES...though ms should remove the bugs faster by now!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It is a fact that most of d droid updates are meant to "improve" the os by removing bugs!,,,unlike wp where we get the real UPDATES...though ms should remove the bugs faster by now!

WP functions no differently. GDR1, GDR2 and GDR3 are all maintenance updates focusing primarily on bugs and low-level extensions for OEMs. None of them put any real focus on user facing features.

Some might disagree in regard to GDR3, as it will introduce support for 1080p and newer SoCs, but that doesn't add anything to what the OS can do. For those that already have a WP8 device, GDR3 offers absolutely nothing.

WP8.1 (a.k.a. Blue), is the first update since WP8 launched that will focus on user facing features.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying GDR2 isn't worthwhile. It is a desperately needed update that should have been released months ago, but it isn't any more "real" than maintenance updates on competing platforms.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what you mean by hurt WP8. Considering the issues and lack of functions there are on WP8 I was worried that it was even going to grow let alone worrying about whether it will be hurt by what some people consider slow updates (I'm one of those people). It would seem that for the average smartphone user, WP8 is ok. Of course we have no idea how many phones have been returned due to issues and those people taking up other phones.

Hurt=Sales, in this instance.......

Anyway, I think you might be confused. My understanding of General Distribution Release updates is that they have nothing to do with WP8.1 (major OS update).
Nope, not confused. I never mention WP8.1.

Hopefully the GDR's fill fix the issues and add some features but I'm not expecting anything major until WP8.1.
What do you consider are "major updates"?

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I think people are confusing GDR and WP8.1 (aka Blue) updates. GDR3 is before the WP8.1 update. Any new phones coming out in/after September will have GDR3 and we should have it before the end of the year. WP8.1 will be out first quarter of 2014. Please stop confusing the two.

Nobody is confusing the two.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99