Having trouble in browsing file from windows 8 phone in pc?

Xk0nSid

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to windows phone. I bought two Nokia Lumia 520 and i tried connecting it to my windows 7 x64 PC. It asked me to install an app, so I installed it. But when I try to browse files in my phone through my PC, it shows nothing. I tried syncing through media player it still doesn't show up. Really need help guys. The other phone works just fine. It lets me browse files and also lets me sync up with windows media player but this one doesn't. Could really use some help.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to windows phone. I bought two Nokia Lumia 520 and i tried connecting it to my windows 7 x64 PC. It asked me to install an app, so I installed it. But when I try to browse files in my phone through my PC, it shows nothing. I tried syncing through media player it still doesn't show up. Really need help guys. The other phone works just fine. It lets me browse files and also lets me sync up with windows media player but this one doesn't. Could really use some help.

Is your phone locked? If yes, unlock it and try again.

Xk0nSid

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Is your phone locked? If yes, unlock it and try again.
Thanks for reply Chregu but I'm guessing by lock you mean screen lock. So, yes i kept my phone unlocked. That was the first thing that I tried. Got any other idea? Could really use some help here.

Satish Nair

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Xk0nSid: I am having the same issue. Cant find one way to explore the files on my HTC Windows Phone 8S. Its strange why MS releases such software

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I know this sounds sort of old school but here's what I would do. Do a restart of the computer. Then attach the USB first to the computer then to the phone when it's unlocked. If a driver is installing, let it do so before you try looking at files. The app is not required to view files on the phone but the driver is.

When you connect your phone you should get the WP8 image in Portable Devices when you look in Windows Explorer. It should also show up in Start -> Devices and Printers

If you have none of these that means the driver hasn't installed correctly or at all.

The driver installation takes sometime (even on W8) and I think some people jump the gun and wonder what went wrong.

Sofaah Dalgarno

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Can someone please help me, I'm not sure if I'm just being thick, but i'm desperate to put music on my htc 8s and when i go to use the windows app to transfer music across it keeps saying my phone is locked when it's not!!

sunnydays123

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same issue! Nokia Lumia 520 I bought 2 days ago. The device is showing in Devices and Printers, and it pops up and asks me what I want to do but none of the options work. No lock on phone. If I select:
-Manage media on your device
then windows media player opens and says device not found
-Import picture and videos
then it starts to import and then stops responding almost immediately (consistently)
-Browse files (which is REALLY what I want to do)
it opens but there is nothing inside, though I know I have music and books on a memory card in the phone. I can even play music on the phone but can't access it on the file browing. Also I cannot make any changes to the empty folder, like create a new folder inside it.

I run windows 7 operating system if that helps.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Turn the phone all the way off. Connect it to the PC. The phone will turn on and be detected, dirvers will load. give it time.
You should see it in windows explorer containing five folders, SD card should have 3 folders.
Don't add any new folders. The phone won't see them, could even cause trouble. Anything you copy paste to the phone, put it in the correct folder. The only document folder is in phone memory.

sunnydays123

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I tried this and the problem appears to be that the device driver didn't install properly. I guess I didn't notice the first time I plugged it in, and it only showed when I turned the phone off and on again.

So now, how do I acquire the right Nokia driver for this to work? A quick google search didn't really give me much

(thanks in advance) :smile:

Dave Kerswell

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
i bought a lumia 520 last week and had no problems until now when the drivers wouldn't install. i followed this advice and it works 100%, thanks a lot.

Satish Nair

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Can someone please help me, I'm not sure if I'm just being thick, but i'm desperate to put music on my htc 8s and when i go to use the windows app to transfer music across it keeps saying my phone is locked when it's not!!
My problem was happening due to an issue with the SD card. My SD was encrypted due to some reason. So i managed to remove that encryption, and it works well now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3