Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By AaHaa
  • 1 Post By Curtieson
  • 1 Post By vish2801
    Developer

Today, I was toying around with the theme colours on my Nokia Lumia 920, and I wondered: why do we have to choose between black and white as the background colour? What if Microsoft added grey to the possible choices? I decided to mess around in Photoshop to see what it would like like, and this is the result:

920collection.jpg

What do you guys think? Pretty cool, huh? Let's hope MS will add this colour anytime soon...
    All the other theme colours with grey backgrounds are on my SkyDrive: http://sdrv.ms/18Gz3rq

If anyone wants to start a petition or official suggestion with these pictures, be my guest.
    rdubmu, DBDev and Laura Knotek like this.

Global Posts
    1,330 Global Posts
    Kind of looks like my phone in the super bright Sun mode.
    DBDev likes this.

Global Posts
    2,395 Global Posts
    Nice! I think I still would prefer the black though, at least on a oled screen, to save battery :)
    Developer

Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    Oh no! Developers already have to support two themes. B adding new theme MS will bring to much on our heads!

Global Posts
    32,318 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    I prefer black background colour, but if people would want grey that's cool.

Grey doesn't look bad.

Global Posts
    948 Global Posts
    Looking at the pic I can't really decide but I'd agree it's not bad
    Last edited by multo; 07-08-2013 at 04:45 AM.
    Nokia Lumia 1520 / Nokia Lumia 1020 / LG Nexus 5
    Grey doesn't look too bad actually. I like how the black background blends with the bezel though. Haven't tried the white one yet.

Windows 8 has lots of options and in 8.1 we can set wallpapers, too. I would love to see wallpapers in background.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Global Posts
    557 Global Posts
    I agree 100% with this. Its frustrating how limiting MS is with simple options like background colors. Why can't I pick individual colors for tiles? Why can't I have a color wheel so I can choose any color I want? I don't understand it, but hopefully they'll add more stuff in 8.1
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by bigkevbosky View Post
    I agree 100% with this. Its frustrating how limiting MS is with simple options like background colors. Why can't I pick individual colors for tiles? Why can't I have a color wheel so I can choose any color I want? I don't understand it, but hopefully they'll add more stuff in 8.1
    I think it's because of what Ray Adams said. If you have complete freedom with theme colours, developers might have a hard time optimizing the apps they make for every colour. I think it would be a nice challenge for developers though :) (Like how WPCentral does it: app colours change with theme colours)

Global Posts
    557 Global Posts
    I get that WP8 might have different code, but if you had Focus or HD7 with WP7 you could dev/interop unlock it and use custom colors for tiles or backgrounds. And it never seemed to break anything. If you chose a weird color combo sometimes it would be hard to see the app tile or words, but then you just changed your colors and all was good.
    Thanked by:

My ENTRY level - Android phone had a launcher that provided me with such SEXY colour combinations.

Yellow tiles with BLACK text. Unlike white, which is barely readable :-/

Also gave options to set a background, and set a transparency to the tiles.

I was really disappointed and would rather the developers be able to SKIP my theme options and give us a damn color wheel already. I am BORED of most of the colours and don't use most anyway since I don't like them. -_-