Flashing Lumia 928 with Lumia 920 Image

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently on Verizon using a Lumia 928 and was able to acquire a second one quite cheaply a few weeks ago. Last week I bought a Lumia 620 for my sister who is travelling abroad and needed a phone that works, but the variant that came was from Taiwan and in Chiense, so I spent a little bit of time getting accustomed to Nokia CareSuite and the flashing process (it's really easy, and it's not too difficult to find a guide online that shows you how to access all the Lumia global variant ROMs like NaviFirm apparently used to). After flashing the 620 to a generic ROM, I got to thinking that I should try to flash a generic 920 image to my backup 928. I'm very computer literate (first summer job was 4 summers in IT support for a financial institution in a very time sensitive environment), so I'm not too worried about the process, but I don't know a ton about programming nor the very fine details of how the OS really works together with the hardware. Given the vast knowledge of the people on this board, I wanted to propose the idea of flashing the 928 with a 920 image to debrand / hopefully add some features Verizon has crippled (threaded messaging, etc).

My understanding is that the 928 and the 920 are fraternal twins, with almost the exact same internal hardware, with the main difference being the additional CDMA radio in the 928. If I understand things correctly, the radio itself is controlled by the baseband (which is why flashing unbranded images on a locked AT&T 920 doesn't unlock the SIM card slot), so as long as the OS can interact with the baseband, the OS should work (for the most part). I know I'm over simplifying things a great deal, and that the firmware versions likely will make it so the phone doesnt work, but I figured I'd ask and see if anyone else has tried something similar (given the situation at T Mobile, flashing an 810 to 820 software).

Also, as I have very little experience with the Nokia flash process at this point, I should be able to re-flash the 928 with the right software in the event it doesnt work, right?

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I say go for it.

You should be able to reflash it if it doesn't work out. If not, bring it to the store. Unless they can prove it was user error and not the software's error, then you should be fine. Who's to say that the flashing software didn't download the wrong file and flash it? ;)

You'll be fine.

I'm more interested in the group messaging tests you do after the flash. Good luck!

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I say go for it.

You should be able to reflash it if it doesn't work out. If not, bring it to the store. Unless they can prove it was user error and not the software's error, then you should be fine. Who's to say that the flashing software didn't download the wrong file and flash it? ;)

You'll be fine.

I'm more interested in the group messaging tests you do after the flash. Good luck!

So it looks like it won't let me flash it, anyone have any idea how I can override it? I may need to register at XDA to seek help

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo