Support lifecycle jumps from 18 to 36 months. VPN on the way!

NTUser

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Its already confirmed they will get 8.1 and I'm sure, all 8.X will be supported.

WP7 was built on an old core that was actually outdated the day WP7 came out. The new core was ready literally just a couple months later. But of course they couldn't build something on a foundation that wasn't finalized.
Good to hear as far as the confirmation goes. So glad they moved away from CE and went to the common core. NT on a phone. So awesome.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Unless Microsoft instills another $1b or so into the company.... The pace at which MSFT is moving in windows phone is painstakingly slow - how difficult is it to code a timer??? Yet MSFT omits all those small features that involves nearly no real development effort

If Nokia goes down, WP goes down. Because it's only OEM fully committed to WP. MS really doesn't care, its aim right now is to penetrate tablet world which is actually weak. WP is nowhere near to its priority. :(

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
They didn't said ANYTHING about WP8 upgrade to WP9.
They said it will be upgradable to next version of WP aka WP Blue.

Just wait a year and you'll see who was right.

I'm a bit of a pessimist like you but from what I remember and finding this on WPC (Windows Phone 9 in testing with Nokia, HTC and Qualcomm hardware | Windows Phone Central) I don't see a reason why WP8 can't be updated to WP9. The big thing with WP7 to WP8 was the kernel change and the inability of the handsets to handle the new software but the WP8 kernel is now NT and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon so the only thing that would prevent WP8 devices updating to WP9 would be if it required higher specifications to run, which going by the philosophy of WP that doesn't make any sense. I don't think having HD or any thing else would stop WP8 being upgradable to WP9. Unless you can think of something?

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
What does that have to do with MS support and OS updates? It seems HTC is giving more and more reasons to avoid buying their product. But then Android seems to be one of those OSs that has this issue all the time which tends to **** people off.

As far as I have experienced it, the distribution of the updates is also depending on the producers, not only Microsoft and the providers.

Clearly I might be wrong though. But then again, the providers could still just not release the update. There are people out there waiting for long past version updates.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
As far as I have experienced it, the distribution of the updates is also depending on the producers, not only Microsoft and the providers.

Clearly I might be wrong though. But then again, the providers could still just not release the update. There are people out there waiting for long past version updates.

I think you're referring to the wonderful (yes sarcasm) mobile phone carriers? The ones who decide (though I don't think they deserve this kind of power) to pass on updates? These companies have been the bane of mobile phone manufactures and OS developers for a very long time. It's one of the reasons why I buy prefer to buy a phone unlocked. The unfortunate part is that carriers have made it too attractive to pick up a phone for 'free' or cheaply, but then have the audacity to screw you over on updates in a desire to push you to get a new 'free' handset. To keep you perpetually in their cycle of overpriced plans to their benefit.

Yeah I hate those bastards too and I find mobile carriers to be the biggest bunch of slime on the planet but unfortunately we need them to use our nice phones. Though here in the UK, the term 'use' is somewhat provisional on getting a half decent signal and then having a good data plan that you don't have to pay a fortune for. Don't get me started on roaming costs in the EU.

If you're referring to OEMs however I don't think they can block updates on the OS.

Toxid_Fox

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Is it worth getting a Windows Phone 8 (Lumia 920) this time around? I mean, it feels like like they are going to release WP9 soon or something... it almost feels like i'm late to the party...

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Is it worth getting a Windows Phone 8 (Lumia 920) this time around? I mean, it feels like like they are going to release WP9 soon or something... it almost feels like i'm late to the party...

It's still worth it, Windows Phone 8 handsets should be able to update to Windows Phone 9 :smile:

malih

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I can already see this means WP8 devices, if not all then maybe devices with 512MB of RAM, won't get WP9, but something similar to WP7.8.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I can already see this means WP8 devices, if not all then maybe devices with 512MB of RAM, won't get WP9, but something similar to WP7.8.

It means nothing even close to this at all. Please stop with all the garbage.

Support for one operating system has ABSOLUTELY NO RELATION to the next operating system. EVERY OPERATING SYSTEM ends support at some point. You are not qualified to be making of statement regarding this matter because you clearly have no understanding of the subject.

malih

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
It means nothing even close to this at all. Please stop with all the garbage.

Support for one operating system has ABSOLUTELY NO RELATION to the next operating system. EVERY OPERATING SYSTEM ends support at some point. You are not qualified to be making of statement regarding this matter because you clearly have no understanding of the subject.

I'm sorry, I understand that, and I sure hope you're right.
But my friend and I share a disappointment with his WP7 Lumia (that he bought based on my suggestion), I just feel like lowering my expectations of Microsoft and be cautious of their statement.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
But my friend and I share a disappointment with his WP7 Lumia (that he bought based on my suggestion), I just feel like lowering my expectations of Microsoft and be cautious of their statement.

Yes that is unfortunate. WP7 ran on the CE kernel which was being phased out at the time. Now WP8 runs on the NT kernel, and the NT kernel is not going anywhere. All Microsoft operating systems now run on the NT kernel. This will help ensure that old hardware is easy to upgrade.

tmccaghren

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I can understand the sentiment, regardless. It had for a while been rumored that WP8 devices wouldn't be able to upgrade to wp9...after all, this has happened once (before the comment, I know this has everything to do with the kernel)...

All said, though, All OS's have limited shelf life...just like all OS's have different hardware requirements. Much as I would love to be optimistic about an OS upgrade, I can't get myself to be fully optimistic it will happen.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I can understand the sentiment, regardless. It had for a while been rumored that WP8 devices wouldn't be able to upgrade to wp9...after all, this has happened once (before the comment, I know this has everything to do with the kernel)...

All said, though, All OS's have limited shelf life...just like all OS's have different hardware requirements. Much as I would love to be optimistic about an OS upgrade, I can't get myself to be fully optimistic it will happen.

I'm starting to think we're all suffering from slow updates disappointment, considering the issues that abound and this thread is really starting to show the lack of trust that people have in MS.

I'm starting to think that people feel that we're heading for another WP7 situation. The only thing I could see that would prevent the upgrade to WP9 would be processor power but I can't see that happening as WP is supposed to be a 'light' OS. I can't see WP9 dropping support for things that exist on WP8, that would just be plain silly and would simply kill any hope of WP succeeding. So as I stated before, unless someone can provide a reason why we wouldn't be able to upgrade to WP9 I think we should just wait and see. Let's get to WP8.1 first and see if that is any good then we can complain about WP9 after that.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if its showing a lack of trust in Redmond. From my own perspective I trust MS to know what's best for the platform - they've been doing a good job since WP7 but they need to communicate with their users more. We hear little to nothing about updates for months on end (with the exception of any from Nokia) and then when they do say anything about adding functionality its from leaked documents, speculation or if it's official it's 6+months down the road. It's frustrating.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if its showing a lack of trust in Redmond. From my own perspective I trust MS to know what's best for the platform - they've been doing a good job since WP7 but they need to communicate with their users more. We hear little to nothing about updates for months on end (with the exception of any from Nokia) and then when they do say anything about adding functionality its from leaked documents, speculation or if it's official it's 6+months down the road. It's frustrating.

I think that's the whole point/philosophy. You shouldn't have to worry about those sort of things.

It's very easy to see that no amount of communication with the users help. Users become worried, then with any sort of new information they are told, only new worries are created. Nothing ever puts these worries to rest and it always does more bad than good, especially in Microsoft's case.

When you're a company that tends to receive hate for no reason, any information, whether positive or negative, always ends up being used for negative press. 90% of tech news for Microsoft is negative.

I trust Microsoft more than any other company. They have done absolutely nothing to displease me throughout my entire life. They are a company that has been with me forever, a company I grew up with. Because of this I have complete trust in them and I never have these typical "worries" that other consumers constantly do. And I have to say, it's really a beautiful thing. It's amazing how different technology can be perceived when you don't have all the negativity to focus on.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I trust Microsoft more than any other company. They have done absolutely nothing to displease me throughout my entire life. They are a company that has been with me forever, a company I grew up with. Because of this I have complete trust in them and I never have these typical "worries" that other consumers constantly do. And I have to say, it's really a beautiful thing. It's amazing how different technology can be perceived when you don't have all the negativity to focus on.

It's a company, selling you stuff to make as much money as possible (like every company earning billions out there). Whenever they try to fix their mess for free, it's because they are afraid they can't sell as much as they thought, for example Windows 8.1 or Xbox One.

Usually they just charge you for it, like for Windows XP after Windows ME or Windows 7 after Windows Vista.

I think this blind believe in a company is a little misplaced...

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It's a company, selling you stuff to make as much money as possible (like every company earning billions out there). Whenever they try to fix their mess for free, it's because they are afraid they can't sell as much as they thought, for example Windows 8.1 or Xbox One.

Usually they just charge you for it, like for Windows XP after Windows ME or Windows 7 after Windows Vista.

I think this blind believe in a company is a little misplaced...

How about trying focus on what makes a company different rather than what they have in common with every other business that ever existed? If you are really trying to support an argument about Microsoft wanting money, then you have already lost all credibility.

Microsoft has been with me from the moment I first ever used a computer. They have been in every school I went to, every organization I've ever been to, every company I worked for, and they have maintained that for multiple reasons.

My vision isn't blind, yours is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos