Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,277 Global Posts
    Straight from the Redmond's mouth.

Making Windows Phone an even better choice for business

Microsoft is investing in Windows Phone enterprise capabilities to make it an even better choice for businesses of all sizes.
    We’ve decided to increase the length of our support lifecycle from 18 months to 36 months. Beginning with Windows Phone 8 we’ll make updates, including security updates, available for 36 months. These updates will be incremental, with each update built on the update that preceded it. The mobile operator or phone manufacturer may control the distribution of these incremental updates and update availability may also vary by country, region, and device hardware capabilities.

In addition to the longer support lifecycle, we will also be releasing an enterprise feature pack as an update to Windows Phone 8. This feature pack will provide IT departments with more control over Windows Phones and give their employees a fuller productivity experience.
    The enterprise feature pack will include:

• S/MIME to sign and encrypt email
    • Access to corporate resources behind the firewall with app aware, auto-triggered VPN
    • Enterprise Wi-Fi support with EAP-TLS
    • Enhanced MDM policies to lock down functionality on the phone for more enterprise control, in addition to richer application management such as allowing or denying installation of certain apps
    • Certificate management to enroll, update, and revoke certificates for user authentication

We plan to provide the feature pack as an update in the first half of 2014. By lengthening the Windows Phone support lifecycle policy and announcing of the enterprise feature pack, we show Microsoft’s commitment to the Windows Phone platform. This gives business customers the confidence to invest in Windows Phone today, with the knowledge that their investments are secure, and the platform is evolving to be an even better choice for business.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Auto-triggered VPN really caught my eye. Is this a sign of some VPN goodness to come?
    This is great news!

First half of 2014 ?? That's annoying... :-/

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    The mobile operator or phone manufacturer may control the distribution of these incremental updates and update availability may also vary by country, region, and device hardware capabilities.
    So basically we are screwed...

Global Posts
    784 Global Posts
    Great news and I trust Nokia (not MS)

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay Chandra View Post
    Great news and I trust Nokia (not MS)
    Sometimes I feel that new Asha 501 has all those features that we're demanding since wp7.

nube_android likes this.

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    Is it just me, or is Microsoft still very slow? First half of 2014?

What takes them so long? They can't even fix the other storage bug, so it is most likely not due to extensive testing...

I'm with vish2801, that's just annoying.
    Thanked by:

This is good news until you get to the 2014 part and the fact that Microsoft still hasn't decided to bypass the carriers... Why does it have to be so complicated!

Global Posts
    1,742 Global Posts
    I'm ok with first half if it's January. :)

Global Posts
    784 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chregu View Post
    Is it just me, or is Microsoft still very slow? First half of 2014?

What takes them so long? They can't even fix the other storage bug, so it is most likely not due to extensive testing...

I'm with vish2801, that's just annoying.
    Until Now , I thought WP 8.1 won't be given to WP8 users since Support ends July 2014 or something , but now support is extended to a longer period.

I want them to take time as long as they want , rather than rushing out the OS and then beta test directly on users.

WP8 is rushed and now other storage bug and several bugs are present.

I want refinement update , Which fixes all issues of WP8 and update to all the stock apps.
    Banned

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    Longer support just confirmed that there won't be windows phone 9 for windows phone 8 devices.
    Think about it guys, maybe WP9 will be something huge... Especially with secret i-mate phone project.

Global Posts
    2,269 Global Posts
    No what are you talking about. They said that wp8 are upgradeable

Global Posts
    16,607 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaskys View Post
    Longer support just confirmed that there won't be windows phone 9 for windows phone 8 devices.
    Think about it guys, maybe WP9 will be something huge... Especially with secret i-mate phone project.
    They stated a long time ago that all WP8 devices will be able upgrade to WP9. So not sure why you think this just because they increased the longer support?

If they retract that statement then I'm not impressed and lowers my opinion of WP and MS even more. It would confirm, in my opinion, that things are taking way longer than expected so it's possible that WP9 can't be loaded on WP8 devices by the time it comes out.
    Ignorance, there is a cure.

I'm on Instagram - nlarue1971 - Travel and food photos is my thing taken by my L920
    Banned

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    They didn't said ANYTHING about WP8 upgrade to WP9.
    They said it will be upgradable to next version of WP aka WP Blue.

Just wait a year and you'll see who was right.

Global Posts
    2,857 Global Posts
    Sorry, how does extending support for WP8 devices confirm they wont get an upgrade to WP9? And how long do you expect WP8 devices to receive updates for, WP10, 11, 12, WP infinity? Does anyone really expect their phone to get upgrades indefinitely?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay Chandra View Post
    Until Now , I thought WP 8.1 won't be given to WP8 users since Support ends July 2014 or something , but now support is extended to a longer period.

I want them to take time as long as they want , rather than rushing out the OS and then beta test directly on users.

WP8 is rushed and now other storage bug and several bugs are present.

I want refinement update , Which fixes all issues of WP8 and update to all the stock apps.
    Nokia doesn't have that much time, you do realize that....???

Quote Originally Posted by vish2801 View Post
    Nokia doesn't have that much time, you do realize that....???

Unless Microsoft instills another $1b or so into the company.... The pace at which MSFT is moving in windows phone is painstakingly slow - how difficult is it to code a timer??? Yet MSFT omits all those small features that involves nearly no real development effort
    Thanked by:

Awesome! I do hope WP8 devices will get WP8.1 and on. They should, it's not a completely different OS like 7 to 8 was, it will be similar. Glad to see the longer support cycle, especially for those of us who are stuck with 2 year contracts (Verizon, grrr).

Quote Originally Posted by NTUser View Post
    Awesome! I do hope WP8 devices will get WP8.1 and on. They should, it's not a completely different OS like 7 to 8 was, it will be similar. Glad to see the longer support cycle, especially for those of us who are stuck with 2 year contracts (Verizon, grrr).
    Its already confirmed they will get 8.1 and I'm sure, all 8.X will be supported.

WP7 was built on an old core that was actually outdated the day WP7 came out. The new core was ready literally just a couple months later. But of course they couldn't build something on a foundation that wasn't finalized.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by spaulagain View Post
    Its already confirmed they will get 8.1 and I'm sure, all 8.X will be supported.

WP7 was built on an old core that was actually outdated the day WP7 came out. The new core was ready literally just a couple months later. But of course they couldn't build something on a foundation that wasn't finalized.
    Good to hear as far as the confirmation goes. So glad they moved away from CE and went to the common core. NT on a phone. So awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by fardream View Post
    Unless Microsoft instills another $1b or so into the company.... The pace at which MSFT is moving in windows phone is painstakingly slow - how difficult is it to code a timer??? Yet MSFT omits all those small features that involves nearly no real development effort
    If Nokia goes down, WP goes down. Because it's only OEM fully committed to WP. MS really doesn't care, its aim right now is to penetrate tablet world which is actually weak. WP is nowhere near to its priority. :(

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    16,607 Global Posts
    They didn't said ANYTHING about WP8 upgrade to WP9.
    They said it will be upgradable to next version of WP aka WP Blue.

Just wait a year and you'll see who was right.
    I'm a bit of a pessimist like you but from what I remember and finding this on WPC (Windows Phone 9 in testing with Nokia, HTC and Qualcomm hardware | Windows Phone Central) I don't see a reason why WP8 can't be updated to WP9. The big thing with WP7 to WP8 was the kernel change and the inability of the handsets to handle the new software but the WP8 kernel is now NT and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon so the only thing that would prevent WP8 devices updating to WP9 would be if it required higher specifications to run, which going by the philosophy of WP that doesn't make any sense. I don't think having HD or any thing else would stop WP8 being upgradable to WP9. Unless you can think of something?

I'm on Instagram - nlarue1971 - Travel and food photos is my thing taken by my L920

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N_LaRUE View Post
    Unless you can think of something?
    For my 8X specifically: Lacking support from HTC.

HTC: No Android 4.2.2 update for HTC One S | Android Central

Global Posts
    16,607 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chregu View Post
    For my 8X specifically: Lacking support from HTC.

HTC: No Android 4.2.2 update for HTC One S | Android Central
    What does that have to do with MS support and OS updates? It seems HTC is giving more and more reasons to avoid buying their product. But then Android seems to be one of those OSs that has this issue all the time which tends to **** people off.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast