Buying Nokia Lumia 520 with Windows 8

lawrence108

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello:

I am planning to purchase the Nokia Lumia 520 with Windows 8 but I have concerns since I have never used a Windows phone before.
Questions:
1. Can I unlock the phone with apps ? How ?
2. Would it matter if I choose home country Canada during setup (I will be traveling to different countries very soon) ? Will the home country affect how my phone will work overseas?
3. Will the unlocked phone void the warranty ?
4. Is the home country setup permanent ?

Thank you.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello:

I am planning to purchase the Nokia Lumia 520 with Windows 8 but I have concerns since I have never used a Windows phone before.
Questions:
2. Would it matter if I choose home country Canada during setup (I will be traveling to different countries very soon) ? Will the home country affect how my phone will work overseas?

Thank you.

1. Do you mean unlock it so you can use with another carrier? No, the carrier has to unlock it (or a third party unlocking service). If you mean jailbreak/root, no you can't.
2. Country affects things like app availability and language(I think) that you can use. It will not affect the ability for you
3. Unlocking it to be used on another carrier will not affect warranty.
4. You can change this a certain amount of times. I think 5 times but someone else will have to verify this for you.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello:

Questions:

Thank you.

1. If you mean root/jailbreak you actually can, but it will void your warranty.
2. No it doesn't matter, the biggest thing you're going to want to look at is what type of cell service the country you're going to will have. If it's japan, they use CDMA, which won't work with your device.
3. If you root it, yes, if it's just carrier unlocking, no.
4. No.

Martin Y

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
2: The 520 ships with Here Drive, not Here Drive+, which means turn-by-turn navigation only works in the phone's home region. Don't know how big that region is for Canada. In my case I get the UK and Ireland. You can buy an upgrade to Here Drive+ which is worldwide.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss