Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 78
Like Tree67Likes
  1. Sanjay Chandra's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Lot of rumors are going around web that , due to failure of Metro , to capture commercial success , WP9 may be built from scratch in terms of "design".

    Lets be serious , WP8 is not really doing well compared to iOS or Android.Yes its the fastest growing platform and also has high consumer satisfaction rates trailing behind iOS but margins/profits are nowhere near Apple or Samsung.

    Getting back to the point , Some people may point out that "WP8 and all future versions will run NT kernel , so WP8 will get the update" but as the past pointed out , 6.5 devices were not upgraded to WP7 (both 6.5 and 7 are CE kernel)

    I am not saying WP will be incompatible but like last time they would say "Its not worth upgrading current devices because of old hardware or x y z"

    I think we will get two big updates to WP8 devices just like how 7.5/7.8 came to WP7 devices.
    Last edited by Sanjay Chandra; 07-17-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: wrong sentence formation
  2. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,745 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,777 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Will bet you 5 now that your wrong in two years time.
    Bartdog, xandros9, Jazmac and 3 others like this.
  3. stmav's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,685 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Until we actually get closer to WP9 with definitive information, anything is purely speculation. Either side can make a case at this point.
    DavidinCT and snowmutt like this.
  4. Ashish Saraf1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    714 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    we can just wait and see what MS has in store for us. But one thing is for sure...if MS ditches current WP8 users they are gonna loose high numbers of consumer which is bad for them !!


    But i think they wont as they have already got a lot of criticism from WP7 users.
  5. Muessig's Avatar

    Posts
    5,433 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,517 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    As I posted not even a week ago on these forums:

    A few sources:
    Windows Phone 8 support to end in July 2014 but users will be able to upgrade | NDTV Gadgets
    Windows Phone 8 upgrade is guaranteed, Microsoft confirms | BGR
    Microsoft: 'Windows Phone 8 is upgradeable'

    A notable tweet from @windowsphone:

    "As we've said, one benefit of moving to the Windows core is that Windows Phone 8 is upgradeable. This means that even beyond the updates we're committing to distribute for 18 months, Windows Phone 8 devices will be able to upgrade to the next version of Windows Phone when it is launched."
  6. RodimusMajor's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    148 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Yeah...no. It's been said numerous times that WP7's un-upgradability will not be repeated with WP8 (which the poster above me has kindly provided citations for, thank you), and as for a complete aesthetic overhaul-- really, what would that do? Barring some needed adjustments we'll probably get with Blue (notifications and such), the system works fine. Why fix what's not broken?
    WINDOW LOVIN likes this.
  7. hopmedic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5,167 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,258 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Yes.

    Failure of metro? Metro failed? Why didn't I know about this??? This is nothing more than FUD from those who don't like the idea of change, and therefore haven't adopted it. YET. They will. They won't have a choice. This is the direction the world is heading. Three screens from Microsoft, and with Windows being on billions of computers, it will be unavoidable. Beside that, it's the right direction to go. There will always be people who inject FUD into the scene when change happens. This is nothing different. No one wanted Vista, either. But to the untrained eye, it's not much different from 7, which was widely adopted.

    Correct. iOS trails behind WP8 in customer satisfaction. As Android trails behind iOS. Mobile Operating Systems - Readers' Choice Awards 2013: Smartphones and Mobile Carriers | PCMag.com

    The comparison of 6.5 to 7 is not a very good one. Yes, both were CE kernel, but hardware just wasn't there on the 6.5 devices. Resistive screen... Yes, someone got it working on the HD2, but still, the experience wasn't the same. I'm guessing that they just didn't feel that it was worth the effort to make a version for each WM device out there. Another thing is that the screen resolutions were several, and unless the HD2 had 480x800, which I don't know, but is possible, there weren't any that met even the resolution requirement. I'm thinking the HD2 must have had it, since it worked on that phone. There's also the issue of none of them having the three "required" hardware keys, or the dedicated two-step camera button (not all have it now, but with WP7 this was required). Just because it worked on an HD2, that doesn't mean someone didn't have to modify it to make it work. My point is that it wasn't worth the effort to make it work on the older phones. I had a Touch Pro 2, and it certainly would not have given me as good an experience as Trophy did.

    At this point the hardware is there to run future updates using the NT kernel, so there's no reason that these phones woulnd't upgrade.

    Oh, yeah - and MS has said so.
    MikeSo, Bartdog, Jazmac and 1 others like this.
  8. Sanjay Chandra's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashish Saraf1 View Post
    we can just wait and see what MS has in store for us. But one thing is for sure...if MS ditches current WP8 users they are gonna loose high numbers of consumer which is bad for them !!


    But i think they wont as they have already got a lot of criticism from WP7 users.
    Google has only be releasing Android 4.x since 2011.

    4.0 , 4.1 , 4.2 etc.

    WP7 stayed for 2010-2012 and supported till 2014 (7.8)

    I think WP9 may arrive like 2015 or 2016 , until then MS may stick to 8.x updates.

    We will get very minor updates but more in quantity (like MS support page pointed out) but WP9 may not come to us (which is my assumption)
  9. Sanjay Chandra's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    Yes.

    Failure of metro? Metro failed? Why didn't I know about this??? This is nothing more than FUD from those who don't like the idea of change, and therefore haven't adopted it. YET. They will. They won't have a choice. This is the direction the world is heading. Three screens from Microsoft, and with Windows being on billions of computers, it will be unavoidable. Beside that, it's the right direction to go. There will always be people who inject FUD into the scene when change happens. This is nothing different. No one wanted Vista, either. But to the untrained eye, it's not much different from 7, which was widely adopted.

    Correct. iOS trails behind WP8 in customer satisfaction. As Android trails behind iOS. Mobile Operating Systems - Readers' Choice Awards 2013: Smartphones and Mobile Carriers | PCMag.com

    The comparison of 6.5 to 7 is not a very good one. Yes, both were CE kernel, but hardware just wasn't there on the 6.5 devices. Resistive screen... Yes, someone got it working on the HD2, but still, the experience wasn't the same. I'm guessing that they just didn't feel that it was worth the effort to make a version for each WM device out there. Another thing is that the screen resolutions were several, and unless the HD2 had 480x800, which I don't know, but is possible, there weren't any that met even the resolution requirement. I'm thinking the HD2 must have had it, since it worked on that phone. There's also the issue of none of them having the three "required" hardware keys, or the dedicated two-step camera button (not all have it now, but with WP7 this was required). Just because it worked on an HD2, that doesn't mean someone didn't have to modify it to make it work. My point is that it wasn't worth the effort to make it work on the older phones. I had a Touch Pro 2, and it certainly would not have given me as good an experience as Trophy did.

    At this point the hardware is there to run future updates using the NT kernel, so there's no reason that these phones woulnd't upgrade.

    Oh, yeah - and MS has said so.
    Just because a bunch of surveys said customer satisfaction is more doesn't suddenly gives WP an edge.

    Apple's customer satisfaction rates are highly respectable (example In J.D Power , Nokia is second behind Apple).

    When I Say Macbooks have Industry leading Customer Satisfaction.
    MS Fans say "because number of macs are very less they have higher satisfaction rates" and I can use same argument for WP8 Vs iPhone.

    I said Metro is not a commercial success , I didn't say that metro is bad or people didn't like it.
    Last edited by Sanjay Chandra; 07-17-2013 at 01:35 PM.
    vish2801 likes this.
  10. Sanjay Chandra's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #10  
    I think you misunderstood me.

    Did I say WP8 is not upgradeable ? No , I said WP8 will be upgraded to newer 8.x versions like Blue in future which will be big update but I am assuming WP9 will not be coming to WP8 devices.
    Mroofieunblockm likes this.
  11. hopmedic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5,167 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,258 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay Chandra View Post
    Just because a bunch of surveys said customer satisfaction is more doesn't suddenly gives WP an edge.

    Apple's customer satisfaction rates are highly respectable (example In J.D Power , Nokia is second behind Apple).

    When I Say Macbooks also have Industry leading Customer Satisfaction.
    MS Fans say "because number of macs are very less they have higher satisfaction rates" and I can use same argument for WP8 Vs iPhone.

    I said Metro is not a commercial success , I didn't say that metro is bad or people didn't like it.
    Wow, way to put words into my mouth. I cited one survey, and didn't say a word about WP suddenly getting an edge.

    Lighten up, Francis.
    In Limbo likes this.
  12. Sanjay Chandra's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    Wow, way to put words into my mouth. I cited one survey, and didn't say a word about WP suddenly getting an edge.

    Lighten up, Francis.
    I was saying that the source of survey is not as good as J D Power.

    Show me an industry standard customer satisfaction survey , I will clearly agree with you about :
    "iOS trailing behind WP8" (which you said before)
  13. hopmedic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5,167 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,258 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    One survey is no better or worse than another (given respectable names), and PC Magazine is a respectable name. One isn't any better than another. You're going to see varying answers, because of course different people answered the questions asked.

    Commercial success? Hmmm.... Many companies are still ramping up to Win7, so I guess we can't really call it a complete success yet, can we? But that means we're years off from calling Metro a failure, too.

    But to answer your original question, Yes, WP 8 devices will get WP 9.

    Again, Lighten up, Francis.
    In Limbo and cckgz4 like this.
  14. Samst22's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    96 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    It would be a mistake for Microsoft to scrap WP8 and start again with WP9 just as market share is beginning to pick up. The UI and style they have currently is perfect, it just needs refining, not a redesign.

    I will be severely disappointed if WP8 devices cannot update to WP9. Then again who knows when WP9 will be released. I reckon we will have quite a few 8.x updates before then.
  15. vormison's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    It appears as they are entering the Apple way of doing things (which I actually prefer). I am sure we'll get modified versions of updates for older handsets. Kind of like how the iPhone 4 got the OS update but didn't officially support Siri, etc.
    cckgz4 likes this.
  16. sumothong01's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    87 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Microsoft has already said WP8 will upgrade to WP9. The Kernal is upgradeable. After WP9 who knows...
    LMZR likes this.
  17. sumton's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    think what ever you want no one know anything about it
  18. Sanjay Chandra's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjalsma View Post
    It appears as they are entering the Apple way of doing things (which I actually prefer). I am sure we'll get modified versions of updates for older handsets. Kind of like how the iPhone 4 got the OS update but didn't officially support Siri, etc.
    My Thoughts Exactly but Instead of calling it directly as "WP9" , MS would be calling it WP8.x

    Apple says iOS 7 runs on 4S and 4 but many features are missing in 4.

    This how consumers react :
    If MS gives WP9 for real , people would be like "My Phone is no longer fluid" or "terrible battery life" or "update crippled my device" etc.
    If MS doesn't give WP9 , people would be like "MS is ****" or "Its bad idea" or "MS did it again"
  19. tiziano27's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    OP, that's nonsense.

    WP8 is already using the NT kernel. Even more, both Windows 8 and WP8 use the same CoreCLR which is the environment in which apps run. Both implement DirectX for games. WP8 added WinPRT which is the Windows Phone subset of the WinRT API.

    WP8 is very close of being just a variant of Windows 8 with an interface optimized for the phone, Windows 8.1 is probably even closer.

    The rumor you are commenting comes from the guy that said Tizen was dead and the next week Intel and Samsung put 4 million over the table to bring apps for the dead.
    despertador likes this.
  20. DavidinCT's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,248 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by @windowsphone
    "As we've said, one benefit of moving to the Windows core is that Windows Phone 8 is upgradeable. This means that even beyond the updates we're committing to distribute for 18 months, Windows Phone 8 devices will be able to upgrade to the next version of Windows Phone when it is launched.":
    I love this, I really do. LOL

    1. Who acutally thinks your phone will be so great 2-3 years from now ? How long did you acutally hold on to your last phone (I know about about a year before I get the itch for a new phone)?

    Even that brand new 928 or 1080, is great now but, 12 months down the line, it's old news, this tech moves WAY too quick. Just think about that old 7.8 device you had, would you actually want to put WP8 on it knowing that it wont run 1/2 the games and the perfomance would be so so unless you stripped it down ?

    2. Then Windows Phone "9" comes out, great, but, Will your carrier support the upgrade on a 2- 2 1/2 year old phone ? Do you really think so ? LOL

    All I hope, is that the experts over XDA find a hack for Windows Phone 8, so we can do custom roms again, this will almost give a 95% that your phone WILL be upgradeable to Windows Phone 9+. If you have to depend on Microsoft or your carriers to support you 2-3 down the line, I got bad news for ya.... Look at all the 2 year old flagship android devices...on Android 2.3....
    Laura Knotek and cckgz4 like this.
  21. o0Nighthawk0o's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    345 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    Just a quick comment on something that struck me in the original post.

    Failure of Metro?

    Am I the only one who looks at Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 after using Windows 8 and feel that the preceding OS's look ancient now? Or that other phones look ancient after using a WP? I hardly think Metro is a failure.
    Bartdog and cckgz4 like this.
  22. DavidinCT's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,248 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by o0Nighthawk0o View Post
    Just a quick comment on something that struck me in the original post.

    Failure of Metro?

    Am I the only one who looks at Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 after using Windows 8 and feel that the preceding OS's look ancient now? Or that other phones look ancient after using a WP? I hardly think Metro is a failure.
    Not saying Metro is a failure but, Windows 7 is more than fine for me(and a lot of people) on a desktop and it does not look ancient. I tried Windows 8/Metro with a keyboard and mouse, it s.u.c.k.s. I have a Samsung Slate 7 tablet with Windows 8 and it's awsome... So, tablet yes, Keybord and mouse, NO WAY.
  23. AndyCalling's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,198 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    I built a PC in the Vista days. Since then it's had Win7 and now Win8 and it runs better than ever. Why do people think a new OS needs more powerful hardware to run it? It's an OS, not the latest FPS shooter. My bet is that WP9 will run better on our current devices than WP8 does. If not, what's the point of releasing it?

    MS made one mistake with Metro for desktops. They should have released an equivalent to the Logitech T650 and pushed it heavily with Win8. They should have just sold them together in one box. It is true that without a touch device, Win8 is a shadow of what it should be and touch screens are never going to take off on desktops. Add a Logitech T650 though and it transforms.

    When WP can finally run the same apps as the other Windows skus it could well boost sales across the form factors as people realise why they want to have it on all their devices. Why would MS say no to that? Well, they wouldn't. Hence the vocal commitment. It's a commitment to money, which MS will be finding quite easy to stand behind. Nokia, not so much. Less handset sales for them. I'm betting MS has the whip hand with this one though, aren't you?
  24. hopmedic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5,167 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,258 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Actually, Win 8 is the first OS iteration to have lower hardware requirements than its predecessor.
  25. Dratwister's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    264 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Metro (or should we call it Modern? Or Flat UI) failed?

    Now that's what I didn't know... Thought that other OSs're going to use flat UI.

    Well, but this or that way, I don't care! This is just a phone, just 1-2 years and I'll change it anyway (even within months if I want to, thanks to unsubsidized system). What's the matter with worrying about sci-fi future? Using the older OS than others doesn't mean you cannot live anymore TBH.
    Bartdog likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-18-2014, 10:11 AM
  2. Split up "Windows Phone Devices" section?
    By Pete in forum Site Feedback & Help
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-05-2013, 09:28 AM
  3. So no leaks about a Verizon variant yet? :(
    By Tjarren in forum Nokia Lumia 1020
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-13-2013, 10:36 PM
  4. This is why I'm getting the 925 anyway
    By RaRa85 in forum Nokia Lumia 925
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-27-2013, 12:45 AM
  5. corporate exchange and people don't get along?
    By surfacedude in forum Windows 8
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-21-2013, 08:33 PM

Posting Permissions