4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Mroofieunblockm's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    143 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    I can't understand this some htc users(branded phones) say they dont have data sense but unlocked phones can have it the 925 has it supposedly -_-

    Wtf /? Really Microsoft
  2. WorzelGummage's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,059 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,062 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    It is up to the individual carriers whether they want to support Data Sense or not. It has nothing to do with MS
    xandros9 and despertador like this.
  3. foxbat121's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    837 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,215 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelGummage View Post
    It is up to the individual carriers whether they want to support Data Sense or not. It has nothing to do with MS
    Not really true. It has everything to do with MS. How do you explain my unlocked and unbranded Nokia Dev phone doesn't come with data sense either?
  4. hopmedic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5,169 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,260 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    Not really true. It has everything to do with MS. How do you explain my unlocked and unbranded Nokia Dev phone doesn't come with data sense either?
    It's true. Microsoft said it the WP8 launch last October. IIRC it was Joe B who said it, but the way my memory is, it could've been Stevie B. They look so much alike....
  5. foxbat121's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    837 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,215 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    It maybe true for carrier branded phone. But what about non-carrier branded. There certainly doesn't have any carrier to block it. And as mentioned many times in other threads, the only thing that requires carrier involvement is data compression. But most ppl just want the data counter feature that (1) doesn't need carrier involvement (2) Android and iOS phones already had it for almost two years now. What's so hard for MS to give it to its WP8 supporters:) It's just one of those things why WP8 is still lack lusting in market share today.
  6. Heru Prasetiyo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    available on the newest OS version, thought
  7. foxbat121's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    837 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,215 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Heru Prasetiyo View Post
    available on the newest OS version, thought
    unfortunately, the Gdr2 update for Samsung ATIV S and HTC 8X, the two received earliest OS update so far don't come with data sense either.
  8. WorzelGummage's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,059 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,062 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    It maybe true for carrier branded phone. But what about non-carrier branded. There certainly doesn't have any carrier to block it. And as mentioned many times in other threads, the only thing that requires carrier involvement is data compression. But most ppl just want the data counter feature that (1) doesn't need carrier involvement (2) Android and iOS phones already had it for almost two years now. What's so hard for MS to give it to its WP8 supporters:) It's just one of those things why WP8 is still lack lusting in market share today.
    I've got an unbranded phone with a Virgin SIM but Virgin have stated that they will not be supporting Data Sense on their network. So even if I did have the feature on my phone it would not work anyway.
  9. Jaskys's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    603 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Heru Prasetiyo View Post
    available on the newest OS version, thought
    You wish, there's a radio only on GDR2.
  10. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,745 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,777 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by phasar View Post
    WP will never be anything more than a niche device. Manufactured mainly for the die hard Windows fans and nostalgic Nokia fans. Most of the coming updates don't address the main problems with WP, that is not having the basic features you'd expect from a high end smartphone.
    Im happy in my niche - I have Halo.
    xandros9 likes this.
  11. hopmedic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5,169 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,260 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by phasar View Post
    WP will never be anything more than a niche device. Manufactured mainly for the die hard Windows fans and nostalgic Nokia fans. Most of the coming updates don't address the main problems with WP, that is not having the basic features you'd expect from a high end smartphone.
    You can have your fantasy, and in it I'm enjoying my niche phone. But in reality, Windows Phone is gaining.

    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    It maybe true for carrier branded phone. But what about non-carrier branded. There certainly doesn't have any carrier to block it. And as mentioned many times in other threads, the only thing that requires carrier involvement is data compression. But most ppl just want the data counter feature that (1) doesn't need carrier involvement (2) Android and iOS phones already had it for almost two years now. What's so hard for MS to give it to its WP8 supporters:) It's just one of those things why WP8 is still lack lusting in market share today.
    They said it would be available on networks that support it. I don't recall them ever saying it would go to all phones.
    WorzelGummage and xandros9 like this.
  12. foxbat121's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    837 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,215 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    A simple data usage counter is what most users are asking about. Android and iOS managed to have this feature for two years now without the need for carrier involvement and what Microsoft gives us (or take away in the case of those who owned Nokia WP7 phones)? Zip. Nada.

    One more time, a data counter does not need carrier involvement. For most carriers in US, their only action is try to block this feature so that they get paid when you are over your cap.
  13. envio's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    295 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Microsoft seriously need to address this. They made a big thing of this at WP8 launch and only Verizon users could get it. Now, two further GDRs later, they're announcing it again, presumably at least one additional carrier has signed up but do we even know who?

    They could simply update the functionality, removing the carrier dependency so that the other features work in the meantime. In any case, what if I want to know how much data my app is using, regardless of whether it is carrier data or Wifi? It's just another half-baked idea that has such promise and could become useful as it develops over time but no-one can enjoy it. Same goes for IE data storage, Visual Voicemail....
  14. Mroofieunblockm's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    143 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by envio View Post
    Microsoft seriously need to address this. They made a big thing of this at WP8 launch and only Verizon users could get it. Now, two further GDRs later, they're announcing it again, presumably at least one additional carrier has signed up but do we even know who?

    They could simply update the functionality, removing the carrier dependency so that the other features work in the meantime. In any case, what if I want to know how much data my app is using, regardless of whether it is carrier data or Wifi? It's just another half-baked idea that has such promise and could become useful as it develops over time but no-one can enjoy it. Same goes for IE data storage, Visual Voicemail....
    lol so true i wonder how many carriers actually have data sense probably only 5 in the entire world xD
  15. Neeraj Mathur's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    I see a lot of ppl online complaining that they did not get Data Sense even after installing GDR 2 and that it is a carrier dependent feature. My L820 "unlocked" ( running OS version 8.01.10211.20 and firmware rev 1232.5957.1308.0001) had it working out of the box. Even before putting a sim card and also works perfectly on Vodafone India network.
  16. Mroofieunblockm's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    143 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Neeraj Mathur View Post
    I see a lot of ppl online complaining that they did not get Data Sense even after installing GDR 2 and that it is a carrier dependent feature. My L820 "unlocked" ( running OS version 8.01.10211.20 and firmware rev 1232.5957.1308.0001) had it working out of the box. Even before putting a sim card and also works perfectly on Vodafone India network.
    exactly and then people say data sense does need a carrier to work which is total bs ;)
  17. hopmedic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5,169 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,260 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mroofieunblockm View Post
    exactly and then people say data sense does need a carrier to work which is total bs ;)
    Microsoft said it.
    WorzelGummage likes this.
  18. WorzelGummage's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,059 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,062 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mroofieunblockm View Post
    exactly and then people say data sense does need a carrier to work which is total bs ;)
    Using Data Sense to track your data usage | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom)

    Scroll down to the bottom of that page and read the footnote.
  19. neo158's Avatar

    Posts
    2,595 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,700 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by phasar View Post
    WP will never be anything more than a niche device. Manufactured mainly for the die hard Windows fans and nostalgic Nokia fans. Most of the coming updates don't address the main problems with WP, that is not having the basic features you'd expect from a high end smartphone.
    I think Android Central is missing you!!!
  20. Samst22's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    96 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    I wish they'd give out a list of which carriers support Data Sense. I'm beginning to think its a Nokia exclusive feature since I haven't heard of one person with an HTC or Samsung with it...

    No Data Sense on HTC 8X on Orange (EE) UK here.
  21. a5cent's Avatar

    Posts
    6,405 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,411 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Samst22 View Post
    I wish they'd give out a list of which carriers support Data Sense. I'm beginning to think its a Nokia exclusive feature since I haven't heard of one person with an HTC or Samsung with it.
    I don't want a list. I want an explanation! Make it clear how the entire system works and what parts must be in place for Data Sense to work. As much as I like WP, this behaviour must change!

    Microsoft! Anybody home! Are you listening!!!!!
  22. Samst22's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    96 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    I agree, they have been so silent on WP recently.
  23. Flavio76's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Total weird, my wife have data sense in her white unlocked 920, I don't on my black unlocked 920. Same carrier, same family plan. LOL
  24. kwajr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    So the only carrier that has gdr2 on a for sale device is T-Mobile,quit ******** until the carries don't have it

    Sent from my RM-893 Lumia 925
  25. a5cent's Avatar

    Posts
    6,405 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,411 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Flavio76 View Post
    Total weird, my wife have data sense in her white unlocked 920, I don't on my black unlocked 920. Same carrier, same family plan. LOL
    Do both devices also have the same product number? Do both devices have the same OS version? Could you check that?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Import Musics to Windows Phone without the sync app
    By Narun in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-20-2013, 11:26 AM
  2. Data Sense app in new Lumia 820
    By drddas58 in forum Nokia Lumia 820
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-21-2013, 05:21 PM
  3. GetMeRated: how to get positive reviews.
    By Kevyn Degia in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-18-2013, 04:15 PM
  4. Gap between aluminum and plastic on new phone
    By Shad0wguy in forum Nokia Lumia 925
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-18-2013, 02:21 PM
  5. nokia lumia 920 transfers data very slowly
    By Christopher 3 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2013, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

";