Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    I can't understand this some htc users(branded phones) say they dont have data sense but unlocked phones can have it the 925 has it supposedly -_-

Wtf /? Really Microsoft

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts
    It is up to the individual carriers whether they want to support Data Sense or not. It has nothing to do with MS
    Thanked by:
    xandros9 and interopbyt like this.

Global Posts
    1,034 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelGummage View Post
    It is up to the individual carriers whether they want to support Data Sense or not. It has nothing to do with MS
    Not really true. It has everything to do with MS. How do you explain my unlocked and unbranded Nokia Dev phone doesn't come with data sense either?
    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    Not really true. It has everything to do with MS. How do you explain my unlocked and unbranded Nokia Dev phone doesn't come with data sense either?
    It's true. Microsoft said it the WP8 launch last October. IIRC it was Joe B who said it, but the way my memory is, it could've been Stevie B. They look so much alike....
    - Rich

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!

Global Posts
    1,034 Global Posts
    It maybe true for carrier branded phone. But what about non-carrier branded. There certainly doesn't have any carrier to block it. And as mentioned many times in other threads, the only thing that requires carrier involvement is data compression. But most ppl just want the data counter feature that (1) doesn't need carrier involvement (2) Android and iOS phones already had it for almost two years now. What's so hard for MS to give it to its WP8 supporters:) It's just one of those things why WP8 is still lack lusting in market share today.

available on the newest OS version, thought

Global Posts
    1,034 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heru Prasetiyo View Post
    unfortunately, the Gdr2 update for Samsung ATIV S and HTC 8X, the two received earliest OS update so far don't come with data sense either.

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts
    It maybe true for carrier branded phone. But what about non-carrier branded. There certainly doesn't have any carrier to block it. And as mentioned many times in other threads, the only thing that requires carrier involvement is data compression. But most ppl just want the data counter feature that (1) doesn't need carrier involvement (2) Android and iOS phones already had it for almost two years now. What's so hard for MS to give it to its WP8 supporters:) It's just one of those things why WP8 is still lack lusting in market share today.
    I've got an unbranded phone with a Virgin SIM but Virgin have stated that they will not be supporting Data Sense on their network. So even if I did have the feature on my phone it would not work anyway.
    Banned

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heru Prasetiyo View Post
    You wish, there's a radio only on GDR2.

Quote Originally Posted by phasar View Post
    WP will never be anything more than a niche device. Manufactured mainly for the die hard Windows fans and nostalgic Nokia fans. Most of the coming updates don't address the main problems with WP, that is not having the basic features you'd expect from a high end smartphone.
    Im happy in my niche - I have Halo.
    xandros9 likes this.
    WP will never be anything more than a niche device. Manufactured mainly for the die hard Windows fans and nostalgic Nokia fans. Most of the coming updates don't address the main problems with WP, that is not having the basic features you'd expect from a high end smartphone.
    You can have your fantasy, and in it I'm enjoying my niche phone. But in reality, Windows Phone is gaining.

They said it would be available on networks that support it. I don't recall them ever saying it would go to all phones.
    - Rich

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,034 Global Posts
    A simple data usage counter is what most users are asking about. Android and iOS managed to have this feature for two years now without the need for carrier involvement and what Microsoft gives us (or take away in the case of those who owned Nokia WP7 phones)? Zip. Nada.

One more time, a data counter does not need carrier involvement. For most carriers in US, their only action is try to block this feature so that they get paid when you are over your cap.

Microsoft seriously need to address this. They made a big thing of this at WP8 launch and only Verizon users could get it. Now, two further GDRs later, they're announcing it again, presumably at least one additional carrier has signed up but do we even know who?

They could simply update the functionality, removing the carrier dependency so that the other features work in the meantime. In any case, what if I want to know how much data my app is using, regardless of whether it is carrier data or Wifi? It's just another half-baked idea that has such promise and could become useful as it develops over time but no-one can enjoy it. Same goes for IE data storage, Visual Voicemail....
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by envio View Post
    Microsoft seriously need to address this. They made a big thing of this at WP8 launch and only Verizon users could get it. Now, two further GDRs later, they're announcing it again, presumably at least one additional carrier has signed up but do we even know who?

They could simply update the functionality, removing the carrier dependency so that the other features work in the meantime. In any case, what if I want to know how much data my app is using, regardless of whether it is carrier data or Wifi? It's just another half-baked idea that has such promise and could become useful as it develops over time but no-one can enjoy it. Same goes for IE data storage, Visual Voicemail....
    lol so true i wonder how many carriers actually have data sense probably only 5 in the entire world xD

I see a lot of ppl online complaining that they did not get Data Sense even after installing GDR 2 and that it is a carrier dependent feature. My L820 "unlocked" ( running OS version 8.01.10211.20 and firmware rev 1232.5957.1308.0001) had it working out of the box. Even before putting a sim card and also works perfectly on Vodafone India network.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Neeraj Mathur View Post
    I see a lot of ppl online complaining that they did not get Data Sense even after installing GDR 2 and that it is a carrier dependent feature. My L820 "unlocked" ( running OS version 8.01.10211.20 and firmware rev 1232.5957.1308.0001) had it working out of the box. Even before putting a sim card and also works perfectly on Vodafone India network.
    exactly and then people say data sense does need a carrier to work which is total bs ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mroofieunblockm View Post
    exactly and then people say data sense does need a carrier to work which is total bs ;)
    Microsoft said it.
    - Rich

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mroofieunblockm View Post
    Using Data Sense to track your data usage | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom)

Scroll down to the bottom of that page and read the footnote.

Global Posts
    1,751 Global Posts
    I think Android Central is missing you!!!

I wish they'd give out a list of which carriers support Data Sense. I'm beginning to think its a Nokia exclusive feature since I haven't heard of one person with an HTC or Samsung with it...

No Data Sense on HTC 8X on Orange (EE) UK here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samst22 View Post
    I wish they'd give out a list of which carriers support Data Sense. I'm beginning to think its a Nokia exclusive feature since I haven't heard of one person with an HTC or Samsung with it.
    I don't want a list. I want an explanation! Make it clear how the entire system works and what parts must be in place for Data Sense to work. As much as I like WP, this behaviour must change!

Microsoft! Anybody home! Are you listening!!!!!

I agree, they have been so silent on WP recently.

Total weird, my wife have data sense in her white unlocked 920, I don't on my black unlocked 920. Same carrier, same family plan. LOL

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    So the only carrier that has gdr2 on a for sale device is T-Mobile,quit ******** until the carries don't have it

Sent from my RM-893 Lumia 925
    Quote Originally Posted by Flavio76 View Post
    Total weird, my wife have data sense in her white unlocked 920, I don't on my black unlocked 920. Same carrier, same family plan. LOL
    Do both devices also have the same product number? Do both devices have the same OS version? Could you check that?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast