WiFi refuses to turn on

Cyterio

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if I never noticed this before or if this is a Windows Phone 8 bug. When my Lumia 521 goes into battery saver mode it turns off WiFi. It will not allow me to even manually turn it back on, it keeps shutting the toggle back to off until I plug the phone in to charge.

I've never noticed this on WP7, or if it did, it turned WiFi back on as soon as it was connected to a power source.

I thought maybe it was a fluke before when I noticed the WiFi was completely turned off, but its done it on several occasions on both my phone and my wife's phone. In my opinion that's a serious bug, I would prefer to remain on WiFi even when my battery is low. In my house I only get 2G service until I go outside so WiFi is essential. Its also essential for WiFi calling which I have setup and use regularly.

Anyone have any issues like this or any fixes?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 521 using Tapatalk

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
This isn't a bug. It is the same with android. As mentioned, try turning off battery saver.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

spacejovi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have experienced exactly the same issue with my L820 since last week.

I used to do this at night so I am pretty sure it had worked before, which means that wifi could be switched on manually unter battery save AND offline mode. dunno whether some other friends in this thread had used Android before, but Android could do the same thing. I have two android phones and I'm 200% sure.

Dunno what happened to my phone. What I usually do now is restarting the phone, which fixes the problem, temporarily. It is silly.

hope gdr2 would fix it.

Last edited:

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

I used to do this at night so I am pretty sure it had worked before, which means that wifi could be switched on manually unter battery save AND offline mode. dunno whether some other friends in this thread had used Android before, but Android could do the same thing. I have two android phones and I'm 200% sure.

Dunno what happened to my phone. What I usually do now is restarting the phone, which fixes the problem, temporarily. It is silly.

hope gdr2 would fix it.

I got it wrong. This is an issue. System have to turn on WiFi if you choose this after Battery Saver start to work. I've checked here and works fine.

kwajr

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

hope gdr2 would fix it.

if going to bed why not just charge your phone problem solved

boshkop

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I think this is a bug, because it doesn't let you turn the WiFi on only when the battery is 20%, if it drops below that level you can then turn on WiFi even with Battery saver on. :)

gizzzmo

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I noticed the exact same thing yesterday and it never happened to me before - after the phone switched to the battery saver mode the wifi kept going off seconds after I tried to switch it back on.

I will say again, this never happened to me before till yesterday and I didn't make any changes to any of the phone settings. very odd.

Lumia 920

Last edited:

DaBeard

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Mine is the complete opposite, lol. Mine will toggle off randomly when it's charging...only happens when it does that. Works fine when I've got battery saver mode on. I didn't have this problem when I had my Trophy, but have had it on both of the 928's I've owned so far. Not really a big deal, as it will allow me to toggle the WiFi back on once I've noticed it's toggled off.

Cyterio

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Like I said, I've never experienced that issue before and was curious to see if anyone else had it happen. It seems to be a WP8 issue, I went back to try my HTC Trophy and it stays connected in battery saver mode.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 521 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss