Renaming MS Account to Outlook

colonelcasey22

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
The MS Account I currently have set up on my HD7 is using the old live.com email address. I should be getting my Nokia 925 in a couple days so I was wondering if this would be a good time to rename my account to use the outlook.com address. MS has an FAQ warning about the many things that may happen but would this really be an issue if I'm migrating everything to a new phone/WP8? I'd like to hear from others who have undergone the migration process to see what your experiences might be and what I should expect.

colonelcasey22

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I already have an alias set up with the same name (just with outlook.com) at the end. How would I select it as the primary alias? I don't see any options to do this under the "Account aliases" settings.

Asrialys

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes, creating an alias and setting that as your default send-from address would probably be safer. That way, your Live.com address will still receive any important e-mails, in case you can't remember or don't want to change the e-mail on every site that has it in their database.

Aliases are also useful for junk e-mail addresses without having to create a new one :p

I already have an alias set up with the same name (just with outlook.com) at the end. How would I select it as the primary alias? I don't see any options to do this under the "Account aliases" settings.

Go to your Outlook settings and click on the "You email accounts" on the top-left. Scroll to the bottom.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

In outlook.com, click on the gear at the right. Then click Rename your email address.

On the next page, select the outlook.com address as your primary alias.

Asrialys

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Oh, yes. There's that option. That's probably better. Heh, I just kept my old Hotmail address, but send stuff using my aliases.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos