Friend says "Windows Phone is a worthless OS"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakeshrai

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
re: Friend says "Windows Phone is a worthless OS"

Oh wait! I thought Android is the one with the ugly UI! I think Windows Phone is beautiful.

frenzyvanrafi

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site

Oh wait! My friend said playing games on WP was less reliable. but it's not true for me. Is it not true for you?

Which is better? 512MB RAM Windows Phone or 1GB Android? I saw WP run smoothly than Android. Is it right?

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

Oh wait! My friend said playing games on WP was less reliable. but it's not true for me. Is it not true for you?

Which is better? 512MB RAM Windows Phone or 1GB Android? I saw WP run smoothly than Android. Is it right?

yep its true WP does run much much smoother than android on 512mb ram

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

I wonder how much more market share WP could capture if people stopped caring about what their friends would say/think if they bought a WP8 device.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

It really bugs me how people are obsessed on how one OS is "better" than another. It's all down to choice. You simply choose the OS that appeals to you personally and offers the features that you need.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

It really bugs me how people are obsessed on how one OS is "better" than another. It's all down to choice. You simply choose the OS that appeals to you personally and offers the features that you need.
I agree. To me Android just seems crammed and disorganized in a smaller screen, believe me I do love my nexus 7. iOS is boring to me.

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

You have to have a low self esteem to be stressed out about your friends opinions about a phone.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

listen, you are buying a $500 dollar pocket computer, then you don't want to pay .99 or 1.99 for an app or two?

Pay the money and let the dev's buy some food if the app is good. Rather pay a dollar then get all the advertising.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

More question:

Is WP apps mostly paid?

Are 512MB WP smartphone really worth it?

No it's not. If you are going to get it why go with the low end Wp8's ? unless you have a slow 256 MB phone now you will probably be dissapointed. you will not be able to fully experience all the great things about the phone. It will make you not like it. Save up your money and get a better wp8. 512 mg ram is a joke. I think they made them for kids. Wp8 already has issues being slow when restoring an application like nokia music or something because it doesn't have real multi tasking with most things. I have a bunch of apps I am very impressed with the app store most of what I have is free and the things that are not free are worth it fo rmy needs. Apps are polished and look very nice.

here are some downsides

Music:
If you have music it is a train wreck to try and sync the phone with your music library. Also, trying to create a playlist is the MOST counter-intuitive headache you will ever face with a phone. EVER! you can not edit meta data or do simple things like Remove a song from a play list. change/edit the name of artist, album, genra. You can not easily add songs to playlist. You can not download songs any way but through the music store or like nokia's music store. No bit torrents. No ftp server downloads. Matter of fact... now that I think of it you can't download anything pretty much. I mean some sky drive stuff but not much. Basically the music hub is counter-intuitive. Don't ask me why there is a cnn app in that hub.. i have no idea. It looks very pretty though :) and has great things going for it but not very functional

File management:
This does not exist. For example. If your friend emails you a new song you can not save the song to your phone. You may not organize your files or apps in any kind of way. Basically windows lets you look at your stuff but not much else. If you need the phone to do things with documents it will suck donkey testies. You can not download docs from emails. only pics.

Internet:
Very inefficient in my opinion. no forward button. No auto fit to screen. Not many options for the browser

here are some good points

UI
looks beautiful. very nice and clean. Fairly small learning curve to do all the basic functionality. When I say basic I mean VERY basic. Trying to do things that are not so basic like creating a playlist for example is a night mare.

Speed.
it is very fast for most things. It hangs on resuming apps though. But it is pretty darn fast otherwise

Office:

not sure if you use MS Office but if you do I can honestly say this is the very BEST i have ever seen a mobile office apps. Excel and WOrd have never looked better on a phone before

It's new and different and exiting:
u wont look like the rest of the clone robots out there. This UI is VERY fun to use and get used to. You will not grow out of it soon like with android (in my opinion) or get bored of it quickly like iOS

Rooms:
rooms are great very useful. I use them a lot. read up on the WP8 rooms. they are great.

anyway... just wanted to give you some pro's and cons from my perspective on it. I have been using wp8 since november. I have the htc8x, lumia 920, 925, and 810. Let me know if you have questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

You can download docs (word, excel, etc) from emails, and save them to the phone or SkyDrive.

walter1832

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site

If a phone can make/break a friends relationship, then you two need to go on Maury Povich show to figure it out. You ARE the father!

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site

You need better informed friends, maybe they should stick to talking about things they actually know about.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

There are many free apps. As far as the look between Android and WP it is a personal preference. To me the live tiles are more useful that the widgets in android.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that 100%. Being able to turn wireless functions on and off with one touch was pretty nice. Otherwise I didn't use too many widgets in Android. Overall I'm happy with the WinPhone 8 experience.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

Said by andraeseus: " You can not download docs from emails. only pics. " This is not true. I just sent myself a Word doc and was able to open it plus I have the option to save it to my phone.

wp_ss_20130725_0001.png

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Yep, WP on 512 MB is about as smooth as a 2GB Android device!

Lag is very rarely seen or noticeable when i use my 520, Was it the 625 that you wanted? Because that has a more powerful processor than the 520/620 (1Ghz vs 1.2 Ghz)

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

I think you would like the 625. 512mb? This I wouldn't worry about. I had the 900 running @ 512 and now the 920. WP runs consistently well on any device. I'm a fan of the OS. It has its quirks, but runs elegantly with no glitches.

frenzyvanrafi

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site

Yep, WP on 512 MB is about as smooth as a 2GB Android device!

Lag is very rarely seen or noticeable when i use my 520, Was it the 625 that you wanted? Because that has a more powerful processor than the 520/620 (1Ghz vs 1.2 Ghz)

This is very nice when WP can run smooth even at 512MB. But, can 512MB Android phone run smoothly with CM10 ROM?

EDIT: I saw someone satisfied with affordable Lumia 620 than premium phone such Galaxy S4. (Every WP smartphones runs smoothly)

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

As others have said, if this person is a true friend then they will respect you for who you are not what phone you have.

I've used Windows Phone since WP7 and it's the smoothest mobile OS I've ever had the pleasure of using, it's not without its faults but it has potential. Android phones with 512MB of RAM are capable of running CM10 ROMs but performance will suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss