image degradation when scrolling

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't sure where to post this thread, so apologies to the mods if it needs to be moved ;)

Anyways, I remember the original HTC HD7 had horrible image degradation/tearing when scrolling. I also noticed the next version, HTC HD7 Pro (or whatever), fixed the tearing a bit, but you could still see the degradation when scrolling thru lists of words (like the app list, or a twitter application).

When I got the Focus, it didn't have this, and I assumed that was a problem with LCD screens, not amoled screens. Later purchases of the Focus S, and Lumia 800/900, reinforced this belief. When I got the 920, which has an LCD screen, I didn't notice the problem, and I thought maybe Nokia had found a solution.

Now, with the 1020, the problem is back. If you scroll up and down on the app list, or anywhere else with words, you can see the image degradation. It's not awful, but coming from the 920, it's very noticeable. I also have heard it's a problem on the 925. So, the problem obviously isn't LCD.

I'm wondering, does anyone have any insight into what causes this? Is it cheaper display technology? I heard the 1020 has a pentile display. I agree that, at this resolution, it's not grainy at all. I remember the 800 had a pentile display, and it was grainy at that lower resolution.

Anyways, sorry for rambling. Just a little disappointed.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
When the 920 first came out they made a big deal of the IPS display it uses polling at 60hz stopping this exact problem. This is the first I've heard of the problem returning. Perhaps its something to do with the AMOLED display?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea