Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
Like Tree3Likes
  1. revfast's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
       #1  
    Well its sad to see that windows phone 8 and outlook.com are not using their active sync technology to sync emails to the phone, its pretty lame to not have this level of integration between products of the same company, Skype is another example.....

    Everytime I delete an email on the outlook.com website it doesn't get deleted on my phone(the way active sync should work) and even if I delete it from the phone the email comes back and I have to go into accounts and unselect email, wait until it syncs and re enable it.

    My work account works great because its using exchange.
  2. inteller's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,568 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,572 Global Posts
    #2  
    I think you might have other issues.
  3. howiewolverine's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #3  
    I just tried, and mine deletes on the phone after deleting on outlook.com. It took about 10 minutes to sync though.
  4. mattcald's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    57 Posts
    #4  
    There are some issues with outlook.com and WP8. My outlook.com email hadn't synced since Saturday. Turn off text messaging backups, and it should start syncing again...
  5. OldMillXxX's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    135 Posts
    #5  
    I have been seeing the same issue. As of late, the e-mails that I have deleted are coming back both as new and old messages. I have gone into my deleted folder and emptied it on Outlook.com. Something is fishy. I have it set to only go back three days (wish there was a single day setting for NEW only) and am seeing messages four, even five days old come back on the phone. I have two accounts setup sharing the same inbox and both are set to sync each hour. This is on Verizon 928 phone.
  6. #6  
    Same here. Just tried and deleted a message from Outlook.com and it was removed from my phone. Then deleted a message on my phone and it was removed from Outlook.com.
  7. foxbat121's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    819 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    #7  
    The default mode of ActiveSync is to preserve data usage. So, deleted items are not immediately synced until there is other stuff to sync, e.g. new email arrives. That's how it works in all mobile OSes although I saw some Android phone/app can customize this behavior to sync deleted items immediately. Not a big deal. It will sync those deleted items eventually.
  8. OldMillXxX's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    135 Posts
    #8  
    Understood, but that is not what it is doing. I perform a manual sync right after I delete, and either old ones will come back in, or the ones just marked delete come right back in and possibly some from the previous day or two. Some are marked unread and some are marked read. Instead of ten that I just deleted, there might be thirty. Definitely something going on.

    When I go to Outlook.com, they are not there. I even empty the deleted items folder, yet they keep showing up in my phone's inbox. Way too much manual operation for something so cutting edge. It is a mystery.
  9. dougger1977's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    29 Posts
    #9  
    Oh good, it's just not me that's having this problem. I have an email from last Thursday that just won't delete off my phone.
  10. revfast's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
       #10  
    I"ve been able to verify all of this, thanks I actually learned something new yesterday, you barely notice this when you receive tons of emails, and since my hotmail account doesnt receive many I thought that was the issue. although there are some emails that do get stuck and are unable to delete (you delete them and they just come back) hopefully this is fixed in GDR2 (although not a big deal, I rather have the battery loop/program loop fixed).

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMillXxX View Post
    Understood, but that is not what it is doing. I perform a manual sync right after I delete, and either old ones will come back in, or the ones just marked delete come right back in and possibly some from the previous day or two. Some are marked unread and some are marked read. Instead of ten that I just deleted, there might be thirty. Definitely something going on.

    When I go to Outlook.com, they are not there. I even empty the deleted items folder, yet they keep showing up in my phone's inbox. Way too much manual operation for something so cutting edge. It is a mystery.
  11. revfast's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
       #11  
    what I do when this happens is go into accounts, uncheck email from the microsoft account, accept all the way out. wait for it to sync and then re enable it. you will need to move your hotmail icon back to where you had it and voila !!!

    Quote Originally Posted by dougger1977 View Post
    Oh good, it's just not me that's having this problem. I have an email from last Thursday that just won't delete off my phone.
  12. #12  
    After you delete an email, click on the sync button

    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
  13. revfast's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
       #13  
    the deleted item comes back after you sync, seems like a bug.

    Quote Originally Posted by rdubmu View Post
    After you delete an email, click on the sync button

    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
  14. eruptflail's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    288 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #14  
    There are settings in Outlook that stop your phone from deleting items in your actual inbox, make sure you change those settings. It's under "POP and deleting downloaded messages" in outlook.
    Thanked by:
  15. OldMillXxX's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    135 Posts
    #15  
    I would say definite bug. Something is being missed by someone and it is causing bad juju to WP8. On one hand the word needs to get out so it can be fixed right away, but then the world will cry foul that Microsoft can't sync e-mail properly all under one roof!
  16. Matt Mizenko's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    12 Posts
    #16  
    I've seen this on rare occasion. Seems to be one message in particular. I have fixed it by going to the Outlook account and under Items to Sync DESELECTING email. Then exist the settings, wait a sec, go back in and SELECT email. That seems to force some sort of a more thorough re-sync and flushes the offending message(s).
  17. lce123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    316 Posts
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    #17  
    My iPhone is quicker than my Nokia so I see your point
    Owned Phones: Nokia Lumia 925, iPhone 5
    Favorite OS: Windows Phone 8
    WP8 Colour: Cobalt on Dark
    Instagram: Krusty Yeti
    Photos taken with my Lumia 925: Flickr
    Friendly Photo Contest anyone?: Shootout
  18. OldMillXxX's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    135 Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by eruptflail View Post
    There are settings in Outlook that stop your phone from deleting items in your actual inbox, make sure you change those settings. It's under "POP and deleting downloaded messages" in outlook.
    Cannot seem to find this setting. Where exactly?
  19. OldMillXxX's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    135 Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by revfast View Post
    what I do when this happens is go into accounts, uncheck email from the microsoft account, accept all the way out. wait for it to sync and then re enable it. you will need to move your hotmail icon back to where you had it and voila !!!
    Did this little trick and it did clear it out, for now. I'll chime back in after an hour (when next "natural" sync occurs). Still a pain if this continues to be the fix.
  20. OldMillXxX's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    135 Posts
    #20  
    After syncing, it seems to be working. I will update if the issue persists.

    Still cannot locate setting mentioned above to switch deleting on/off. If you haven't clicked my avatar, it is a 928 on Verizon.
  21. revfast's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
       #21  
    I know that pop has a setting like that, but I hope outlook.com uses active sync instead of 90's pop protocol...


    Quote Originally Posted by eruptflail View Post
    There are settings in Outlook that stop your phone from deleting items in your actual inbox, make sure you change those settings. It's under "POP and deleting downloaded messages" in outlook.
  22. revfast's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
       #22  
    I will need to test this next time the issue occurs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mizenko View Post
    I've seen this on rare occasion. Seems to be one message in particular. I have fixed it by going to the Outlook account and under Items to Sync DESELECTING email. Then exist the settings, wait a sec, go back in and SELECT email. That seems to force some sort of a more thorough re-sync and flushes the offending message(s).
  23. jridgers's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by eruptflail View Post
    There are settings in Outlook that stop your phone from deleting items in your actual inbox, make sure you change those settings. It's under "POP and deleting downloaded messages" in outlook.
    This fixed the issue for me. Thanks for posting!
  24. jridgers's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMillXxX View Post
    Cannot seem to find this setting. Where exactly?
    When you access Outlook.com on your computer, click on the Settings icon in the top right-hand corner then scroll down to "More mail settings". Go to "POP and deleting downloaded messages" and choose the second radio button for "Do what my other program says...".
  25. eruptflail's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    288 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #25  
    The setting I mentioned is under more mail settings. Click on the little cog, and you'll find it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Does Your Phone Keep Time
    By Joshua Jackson in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-14-2014, 10:42 AM
  2. Weak Speakers and Vibrate Mode
    By colonelcasey322 in forum Nokia Lumia 925
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-29-2013, 12:37 PM
  3. Apps update doesn't work. Forced to remove and re-install.
    By Marco Arrichiello in forum General Microsoft News and Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2013, 05:06 AM
  4. Do i have to repurchase apps and games?
    By Andreas H in forum General Tablet Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-31-2013, 12:26 PM

Posting Permissions