Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Well its sad to see that windows phone 8 and outlook.com are not using their active sync technology to sync emails to the phone, its pretty lame to not have this level of integration between products of the same company, Skype is another example.....

Everytime I delete an email on the outlook.com website it doesn't get deleted on my phone(the way active sync should work) and even if I delete it from the phone the email comes back and I have to go into accounts and unselect email, wait until it syncs and re enable it.

My work account works great because its using exchange.

Global Posts
    2,572 Global Posts
    I think you might have other issues.

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I just tried, and mine deletes on the phone after deleting on outlook.com. It took about 10 minutes to sync though.

There are some issues with outlook.com and WP8. My outlook.com email hadn't synced since Saturday. Turn off text messaging backups, and it should start syncing again...

I have been seeing the same issue. As of late, the e-mails that I have deleted are coming back both as new and old messages. I have gone into my deleted folder and emptied it on Outlook.com. Something is fishy. I have it set to only go back three days (wish there was a single day setting for NEW only) and am seeing messages four, even five days old come back on the phone. I have two accounts setup sharing the same inbox and both are set to sync each hour. This is on Verizon 928 phone.
    Same here. Just tried and deleted a message from Outlook.com and it was removed from my phone. Then deleted a message on my phone and it was removed from Outlook.com.

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    The default mode of ActiveSync is to preserve data usage. So, deleted items are not immediately synced until there is other stuff to sync, e.g. new email arrives. That's how it works in all mobile OSes although I saw some Android phone/app can customize this behavior to sync deleted items immediately. Not a big deal. It will sync those deleted items eventually.

Understood, but that is not what it is doing. I perform a manual sync right after I delete, and either old ones will come back in, or the ones just marked delete come right back in and possibly some from the previous day or two. Some are marked unread and some are marked read. Instead of ten that I just deleted, there might be thirty. Definitely something going on.

When I go to Outlook.com, they are not there. I even empty the deleted items folder, yet they keep showing up in my phone's inbox. Way too much manual operation for something so cutting edge. It is a mystery.

Oh good, it's just not me that's having this problem. I have an email from last Thursday that just won't delete off my phone.

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I"ve been able to verify all of this, thanks I actually learned something new yesterday, you barely notice this when you receive tons of emails, and since my hotmail account doesnt receive many I thought that was the issue. although there are some emails that do get stuck and are unable to delete (you delete them and they just come back) hopefully this is fixed in GDR2 (although not a big deal, I rather have the battery loop/program loop fixed).

Quote Originally Posted by OldMillXxX View Post
    Understood, but that is not what it is doing. I perform a manual sync right after I delete, and either old ones will come back in, or the ones just marked delete come right back in and possibly some from the previous day or two. Some are marked unread and some are marked read. Instead of ten that I just deleted, there might be thirty. Definitely something going on.

When I go to Outlook.com, they are not there. I even empty the deleted items folder, yet they keep showing up in my phone's inbox. Way too much manual operation for something so cutting edge. It is a mystery.

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    what I do when this happens is go into accounts, uncheck email from the microsoft account, accept all the way out. wait for it to sync and then re enable it. you will need to move your hotmail icon back to where you had it and voila !!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougger1977 View Post
    Oh good, it's just not me that's having this problem. I have an email from last Thursday that just won't delete off my phone.
    After you delete an email, click on the sync button

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    the deleted item comes back after you sync, seems like a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by rdubmu View Post
    After you delete an email, click on the sync button

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    There are settings in Outlook that stop your phone from deleting items in your actual inbox, make sure you change those settings. It's under "POP and deleting downloaded messages" in outlook.
    Thanked by:

I would say definite bug. Something is being missed by someone and it is causing bad juju to WP8. On one hand the word needs to get out so it can be fixed right away, but then the world will cry foul that Microsoft can't sync e-mail properly all under one roof!

I've seen this on rare occasion. Seems to be one message in particular. I have fixed it by going to the Outlook account and under Items to Sync DESELECTING email. Then exist the settings, wait a sec, go back in and SELECT email. That seems to force some sort of a more thorough re-sync and flushes the offending message(s).

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    My iPhone is quicker than my Nokia so I see your point
    Owned Phones: Nokia Lumia 925, iPhone 5
    Favorite OS: Windows Phone 8
    WP8 Colour: Cobalt on Dark
    Instagram: Krusty Yeti
    Photos taken with my Lumia 925: Flickr
    Friendly Photo Contest anyone?: Shootout

Quote Originally Posted by eruptflail View Post
    There are settings in Outlook that stop your phone from deleting items in your actual inbox, make sure you change those settings. It's under "POP and deleting downloaded messages" in outlook.
    Cannot seem to find this setting. Where exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by revfast View Post
    what I do when this happens is go into accounts, uncheck email from the microsoft account, accept all the way out. wait for it to sync and then re enable it. you will need to move your hotmail icon back to where you had it and voila !!!
    Did this little trick and it did clear it out, for now. I'll chime back in after an hour (when next "natural" sync occurs). Still a pain if this continues to be the fix.

After syncing, it seems to be working. I will update if the issue persists.

Still cannot locate setting mentioned above to switch deleting on/off. If you haven't clicked my avatar, it is a 928 on Verizon.

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I know that pop has a setting like that, but I hope outlook.com uses active sync instead of 90's pop protocol...

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I will need to test this next time the issue occurs...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mizenko View Post
    I've seen this on rare occasion. Seems to be one message in particular. I have fixed it by going to the Outlook account and under Items to Sync DESELECTING email. Then exist the settings, wait a sec, go back in and SELECT email. That seems to force some sort of a more thorough re-sync and flushes the offending message(s).

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    This fixed the issue for me. Thanks for posting!

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMillXxX View Post
    Cannot seem to find this setting. Where exactly?
    When you access Outlook.com on your computer, click on the Settings icon in the top right-hand corner then scroll down to "More mail settings". Go to "POP and deleting downloaded messages" and choose the second radio button for "Do what my other program says...".

Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    The setting I mentioned is under more mail settings. Click on the little cog, and you'll find it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast