If WP8 gets big, do you think Samsung comes in and bulldoze Nokia out the way?

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm not certain why Samsung doesn't push more Windows phones either, but I'm sure it isn't the fact that they are forced to use Qualcomm's chips instead of their own. Even for their own Galaxy S4 they use Qualcomm's Snapdragon 600, and they do so out of their own free will. This isn't even a rare occurrence. Samsung actually supplies the entire U.S. predominantly with Snapdragon powered Galaxy S4s! If Samsung has no issue doing so for their most popular Android device, then they'll certainly have no issues doing the same for WP. The "few" extra Snapdragon chips they'll buy and ship with their WP devices will barely show up on their radar.

My guess is that Samsung simply has little to no interest in supporting WP, as it just doesn't line up with their own mobile strategy. They either want control over their proprietary version of Android, or they want to establish Tizen. WP stands in the way of achieving either goal.
sales is the most important reason to use an OS, and they know that they cannot get enough profit as is with wp8 now.
Also Nokia works closely with windows so Samsung cant bulldoze them out

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
No please! God no!

Windows Phone isn't a OS where devices feel like a $20 toy phone. They feel like a phone that you'll enjoy to use.

I hope to hell Samsung doesn't take over Nokia, we may be a very popular OS, but at the cost of a great company (Nokia)

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
It may very well happen here in the US where Samsung is strong and Nokia is weaker, they also have the funds to market and make sure the devices sell. Nokia is stronger overseas so they will remain the top dogs of WP there.

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
We will see when GDR3 released. If they released their high end phones and mass produce every range of screen sizes to every carrier like they are currently doing with Android, Samsung will have a good chance. Nokia doesn't bring their high end phones to all carriers at the same time. They don't have the cash to do advertising like Samsung. They have to give exclusive to certain carrier in hope they can do advertising for them.

I think you might have nailed it. I think the Ativ S was a token device and all along they've been waiting for GDR3. They can then just slap WP on a modded GS4 or Note 3 and off they go.

Jaybotics

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Won't happen.

For one, Nokia is over 80% of Windows Phone. Therefore, if WP "gets big," then Nokia also "gets big."

Not that Nokia isn't already big. Because they are. They are still one of the biggest and most trusted names in mobile. They're just going through a transition period. But don't be fooled into thinking that they're some small player that can be easily swept aside.

This.

I'm sticking to Nokia, but they've shown me that they actually support the platform 100%, and I know I'm buying a quality product from them.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not certain why Samsung doesn't push more Windows phones either, but I'm sure it isn't the fact that they are forced to use Qualcomm's chips instead of their own. Even for their own Galaxy S4 they use Qualcomm's Snapdragon 600, and they do so out of their own free will. This isn't even a rare occurrence. Samsung actually supplies the entire U.S. predominantly with Snapdragon powered Galaxy S4s! If Samsung has no issue doing so for their most popular Android device, then they'll certainly have no issues doing the same for WP. The "few" extra Snapdragon chips they'll buy and ship with their WP devices will barely show up on their radar.

My guess is that Samsung simply has little to no interest in supporting WP, as it just doesn't line up with their own mobile strategy. They either want control over their proprietary version of Android, or they want to establish Tizen. WP stands in the way of achieving either goal.

Samsung would be crazy to play chicken with Google or Microsoft. Google will never let Samsung call the shots for the Android OS. Motorola builds better hardware than anything Samsung could ever put out and Google can make sure Samsung loses a price war if they choose. When WP7 was first released, Microsoft laid down the ground rules regarding minimum specs, hardware buttons and dropped the hammer on anybody considering a skin. WP7 was a new OS and you could argue that Microsoft didn't have a leg to stand to make such demands considering their place in the mobile marketplace. They could and they did and fired a shot across every OEMs bow in the process.

I don't particularly care for Android but it doesn't take away from the fact that it has supplanted iOS as the world's most popular phone OS. Samsung can play chicken all they want but they need to remember that "when you come at the king, you best not miss". In Microsoft, Google and Apple's world, Samsung is just another proverbial squirrel trying to get a nut. Don't kid yourself otherwise.

WP8fan

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

I really agree with this! With Moto/Google coming on strong, Samsung would love to have their own O/S (Tizen). It will be interesting to see what happens if IOS loses more and more market share.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't be concerned about Samsung bullying Nokia out of WP share. Nokia's quality and software ecosystem is too deep for Samsung to be any threat. Also it seems I hear all the time that even Android users want Nokia's quality over on their land. I think Samsung should be more concerned if Nokia decided to make WP and Android handsets.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think Samsung should be more concerned if Nokia decided to make WP and Android handsets.

I would love to see Android on Nokia! IMHO they have the best hardware, but I had to give up my 920 because the OS didn't cut it for me.

By the way, I love your signature! I don't agree with it 100%, but it is rather clever.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't be concerned about Samsung bullying Nokia out of WP share. Nokia's quality and software ecosystem is too deep for Samsung to be any threat. Also it seems I hear all the time that even Android users want Nokia's quality over on their land. I think Samsung should be more concerned if Nokia decided to make WP and Android handsets.
If that happened, WP would die.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
In Microsoft, Google and Apple's world, Samsung is just another proverbial squirrel trying to get a nut. Don't kid yourself otherwise.

Sorry but the Samsung group is actually on a level playing field as all of those companies you listed.

In the tech world, the list in order of Worth:

Apple
Google
Microsoft
Samsung

That's not just phones, that's the whole shebang.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Sorry but the Samsung group is actually on a level playing field as all of those companies you listed.

In the tech world, the list in order of Worth:

Apple
Google
Microsoft
Samsung

That's not just phones, that's the whole shebang.
Different worlds.
Samsung and Apple are more direct competitors. They both are mainly hardware companies that also do some software.

MS and Google are direct competitors. They're both mainly software (though it's more as "services" now) that also do some hardware.

When it comes to hardcore software services, Apple and Samsung rely on 3rd parties. They can do some software, but their scope is limited.

When it comes to hardcore hardware, MS and Google mainly rely on 3rd parties. They can so some stuff on their own, but their scope is limited.

Google and Samsung complement each other well. Both are top dogs in their respective fields.

MS and Nokia complement each other well. Both used to be top dogs and have revamped themselves in hopes of getting that spot back.

Apple has several partners. Their advantage was that they defined the market. They made themselves the standard bearer before anyone else took touch seriously. But in software services, they're falling behind and depend on 3rd parties to continue broadening their ecosystem.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
With Moto/Google coming on strong.
WP8fan, stop it. There is nothing strong about the Moto x or the way Google is promoting it, and this phone is in no way a legitimate threat to the SG4 or HTC One. The Moto x will be irrelevant in a month, just like all the other non-Samsung Galaxys/HTC One android phones.

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Like lets say by next year WP has 10-15% marketshare. Y'all really dont think Samsung wouldn't have made a light thin 1080p device with removable battery and SD card?

Samsung can out market Nokia, and put produce them too (Supply problems plagued 920 at launch.)

Electric_Mustang

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Samsung has its own set definition of a phone.
Even if there isn't any innovation, it is what people want (slim,lightweight,microSD,removable battery,etc.)

It would depend on how well Nokia manages to differentiate themselves.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Different worlds.

Samsung and Apple are more direct competitors. They both are mainly hardware companies that also do some software. .

I seriously doubt it.

They developed iOS from scratch.
Samsung also made bada OS , but they ditched it in favour of Android.Samsung is not much of a software company but Apple is a serious company in software.

Apple never relies on anyone for services but Other companies rely on Apple.

Infact Google pays $ 1 Billion to apple so that they use google search as default option in iOS and Google themselves made lots of apps for iOS even though Apple ditched Google maps and Google search in Siri.

Speaking of ability of companies , Every company you listed made so many acquisitions for their strength and innovation.

Yes Apple is weak in "services" but because of their strong eco system , companies like Google and MS are compensating many things by releasing apps into it.

Heck , Even Samsung released a few apps for iOS related to their TVs.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Samsung manufactures Qualcomm chips too , I don't see anything wrong in that.

Agree. Nothing wrong with that. That Samsung also manufactures Qualcomm's Snapdragon chips (and profits off each chip sold) just further supports my hypothesis:

The fact that WP mandates the use of Qualcomm's Snapdragon chips (not Samsung's Exynos chips) is no reason to shy away from pushing/promoting WP.

Google will never let Samsung call the shots for the Android OS. Motorola builds better hardware than anything Samsung could ever put out and Google can make sure Samsung loses a price war if they choose.

I disagree. Samsung has unrivalled control over their supply chain. They can produce almost all their smartphone parts in-house. No other company has that capability to the same extent. Google/Motorola must purchase most of their parts on the open market, meaning they are primarily 'parts assemblers'. Samsung could reduce the profit margins for their individual smartphone parts to almost zero, which Google/Motorola simply can't, leaving the later with no hope of winning a price war.

Any price war would end either in court (due to Google/Motorola dumping smartphones below cost or similar illegal trickery) or with Samsung winning.

However, I do agree that Google will never willingly allow Samsung to control Android's future, although I wouldn't place an Android coup d'OS outside the realm of theoretical possibility. I too doubt Samsung would ever attempt as much, primarily due to all the legal weaponry Google has setup to discourage it, but that is precisely why I (and many others) also mentioned Tizen.

If WP8 gets big, do you think Samsung comes in and bulldoze Nokia out the way?
While I'm sure Samsung would love to bulldoze Nokia "out of the way", they are hoping to do so through other means than by jumping on the WP bandwagon. Supporting WP affords Samsung even less control over their own destiny. Why would Samsung care to put on more shackles of the type they would rather free themselves of entirely? Samsung will support WP if they can push Microsoft into offering nice rebates on Windows licenses, or gain some other advantages, but otherwise they will be happy to ignore it and do battle with Nokia on their own terms (Android & Tizen), instead of on Microsoft's terms (WP).

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12