If WP8 gets big, do you think Samsung comes in and bulldoze Nokia out the way?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
If Windows Phone would get a big push in the market to the point where "normal" users were buying them en masse, Samsung would be a smart purchase for a lot of people. People equate Samsung with quality in the Android world, and for the most part they are right. The phone bodies themselves are cheap and ugly, but the screens are always good and they have nice features.

HillBillJr

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Samsung promoting WP will inevitably bring comparison between their bread and butter Android to WP. How are they going to promote WP? Oooh..look at this buttery smooth OS compared to "others"? The moment they say that, it will be big endorsement to Nokia. All things being equal, Nokia stands above Samsung in terms of quality, battery life, RF performance, design etc. Any move to endorse WP will end up endorsing Nokia. That is why Samsung is staying away from WP. Right now they are ignoring it hoping that it will never be a threat. If WP grows in market share are Nokia takes the most of it, Samsung will be forced to change their stance.
It looks like Nokia is going after the midrange market, which is a huge opportunity in emerging markets. If Nokia's 520 sales in India is any indication, along with HTC and Sony squeezing the Android top end, Samsung could be in trouble soon. Their recent miss on S4 sales is just a beginning. Their Mega and Rex phone lines are utter flop. Samsung is running out of room. Mark my words..

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If Samsung leaves android, and commit to Tizen OS....... Android would be in a world of hurt IMO.

I think it would be just the opposite. Apple is the only OEM that has a successful in-house mobile OS. Every other company that has tried this has failed miserably or simply failed to keep up and eventually failing. To wit:

Palm - Palm OS & webOS
Nokia - Symbian
Sharp - Danger
Microsoft - Kin

As I mentioned, Apple is the exception. Why? They were a software-centric company with a reputation for upper-echelon hardware and a brilliant megalomaniac as their leader. Whatever you feel about the late Steve Jobs, I've always tipped my cap to him for an unyielding vision. I don't see Samsung committing to Tizen exclusively. If they do, add them to my list by this time next year.

tgzgeorge

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Samsung likes to be all over the place, and with all their resources Nokia is vulnerable to that. In the mobile business the strongest survives unless Nokia further innovates along with Microsoft but so far only Nokia is doing all the hard work and innovation. Right now these two is all each other have unless Nokia makes a statement to adopt Android. I personally think they can make a dent on Samsung if they adopt android, people like change and Nokia would be a welcome change to android users.

tungha

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
why so much hate for Samsung? Back to the day of WP7, we can remember how the Focus did and how people loved it right? That's to say, WP8 is not their concern right now. Actually I think most of the bash on the Samsung devices, especially Lumia users, is that they still not get their hands on the devices yet, take the Ativ S as an example, I myself think that's a really nice and excellent device. Nokia has their own apps and that's good, but besides that, I don't know how the 'closed partner' between MSFT and NOK going on, just take a look at Samsung, they brings the call block to their WP devices and Nokia still couldn't do it.

So, I think the more OEM enter WP8, the better the platform will be. Competition is always a good thing, right?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
why so much hate for Samsung? Back to the day of WP7, we can remember how the Focus did and how people loved it right? That's to say, WP8 is not their concern right now. Actually I think most of the bash on the Samsung devices, especially Lumia users, is that they still not get their hands on the devices yet, take the Ativ S as an example, I myself think that's a really nice and excellent device. Nokia has their own apps and that's good, but besides that, I don't know how the 'closed partner' between MSFT and NOK going on, just take a look at Samsung, they brings the call block to their WP devices and Nokia still couldn't do it.

So, I think the more OEM enter WP8, the better the platform will be. Competition is always a good thing, right?

To be honest i don't think some people actually realise the ativ s has the call block feature (Chinese version of the L920 has it aswell btw). But given there is a chance that gdr2 has said APIs, its only matter of time we see some apps and o/s integration for all wp8 users. Competition is always good as it drives the struggle for relevance thus pushing the boundaries of innovation. In this volatile mobile world, that is a must hence why you see Nokia pushing so hard. Samsung are at their peak and don't really need to lift much of a finger - this is where Apple was and now they have become a challenger to stay relevant, if the overhaul of ios is anything to go by.

Last edited:

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Using an ATIV S and love it... Hilarious users saying its cheap and junk LOL.

Would probably have a Nokia but they repeatedly limit its own market share by releasing exclusives with providers.

Samsung definitely hasn't put any real effort into WP but if they did it would be devastating... Most of samsungs competition buy its components from them.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Samsung make great components (love their SD cards too). They make lots of well constructed cheap kit (nice home laser printers and monitors). They make very poor instruction manuals (we'd do better off translating the Japanese version ourselves as their efforts are not useful). The thing is though, when opened up their phones seem to be held together with sticky tape. Really shonky innards and assembly. If Samsung can address this then they might stand a bit of a chance at the cheaper end of the WP market.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Using an ATIV S and love it... Hilarious users saying its cheap and junk LOL.

Would probably have a Nokia but they repeatedly limit its own market share by releasing exclusives with providers.

Samsung definitely hasn't put any real effort into WP but if they did it would be devastating... Most of samsungs competition buy its components from them.

No real effort?

Focus
Focus S
Focus Flash
Focus 2
Omnia W

Those are just the ones I know of here in the US.

qudahamohammad

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
No real effort?

Focus
Focus S
Focus Flash
Focus 2
Omnia W

Those are just the ones I know of here in the US.
I've never seen the an ATIV S commercial/advertisement, I've never known that it existed before I joined the forums. The only advertisements that Samsung were releasing were the one that has Androids. Only saw HTC and Lumia advertisements over here.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I own Nokia hardware! It's Android and other things Google that I don't like. But you probably already knew that! :grin:

I know; just giving you a hard time! I had one or two Nokia features phones back in the day, as well as a couple Lumias. Nokia produces top of the line hardware. Their current problem is putting an unpopular OS on excellent hardware, resulting in less than stellar sales. I think Nokia could do a good job with Android. Look at what they're doing with WP! And I know that most people on this forum do not like Android, but the fact remains that 3 out of 4 smartphones on the planet run Android. And market share is not dropping. Android can't be that bad, can it?

With Nokia's excellent reputation in hardware, I think they could make a dent in Samsung's dominance. Nokia will have to do something to sell more devices; WP just simply isn't popular enough. It may improve in time, but can Nokia last that long?

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Like Samsung has become the "face" of Android, Nokia has done that with Windows Phone. Kind of hard to erase a brand out of consumers mind.

Sent from something UhMEHZing using Tapatalk

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Like Samsung has become the "face" of Android, Nokia has done that with Windows Phone. Kind of hard to erase a brand out of consumers mind.

Sent from something UhMEHZing using Tapatalk

Samsung got erased even though lot of Omnias launched with Windows mobile as well Windows Phone.Samsung did equally great effort in the past , with Windows mobile/phone platform.

They finally went for Android because it didn't work out.

Its just a matter of time.

Edward Woodward1

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
As much as i like Samsung, i seriously hope not.
I honestly don't think any one else will give as much care and focus to WP8 than what Nokia have been giving,

If Samsung budged Nokia out the way and took on WP8 i could see them just abandoning it after a while, leaving us with just Android and IOS all over again

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss