Everyone i've recommended a WP8 Phone to endlessly complains!

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I've been recommending the L1020 lately but only due to the camera. I normally wait for people to ask me about my L920.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
It's funny reading all of the posts here. I'm reminded of the debates I have with my wife over what her next phone should be. I'm dead set on WP8, but she has flopped from the latest iPhone to the S4 and Neo. I think she has killed the idea of an iPhone, but Samsung will be her choice...but which one? I prefer to just share the pros/cons of each OS/device and let the person decide what to get. As for my wife, she is too afraid of what she would be missing out on if she doesn't get what I get. However she is constantly fussing out HTC and Android on a daily basis. I've told her that WP8 just works and has that same simplistic flow like iOS. I don't want to hear any complaints about me talking anyone into anything unless it is one of my customers. I can make it right for them. Therefore, it's best to have them weigh their needs and desires along with hands-on time to make an intelligent choice. This way they are able to live with the choice since they can only blame themselves.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
When I bought my 920, my mom also bought an 820. I was very clear to her that I was buying a windows phone for my reasons, and that she needed to try out all her options and make her own decision. For her, the 820 was her first smartphone, and she loves it, but she had no preconceptions about features.

For me, 7 months later, I still think that as a choice of hardware, the 920 was the best I could have gotten at the time, and for the most part, I like the OS, except for missing smartphone features like independent volume controls, a reliable notification system, and customisable sounds. I'm very disappointed that the app ecosystem is developing so slowly.

I'm also really frustrated with all the "love it or leave it" trolling on these forums. No phone is perfect, and Windows phone is 75% of the phone I want, Android is maybe 65% and iphone is 50%. That doesn't mean I don't miss the app ecoysystem, notifications, and basic customisabiliy from my old android phone. I still keep it charged and use it almost daily because there are still apps on it that either absent or crippled on Windows Phone.

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Nope. Everyone that I know that has switched to WP8 loves their phones. Hence the reason I really hate being with Sprint. HTH

Just a pure fact of my life that is so annoying. I have at least two friend's, and two family members who switched from iPhones to WP8 phones based on my recommendations.

Now, ever since all they do is complain to me non stop about it all the time. They complain about the lack of apps, complain about missing Features the iPhone has, yada yadda yadda. One of them is even convinced that windows 8 phone has a bug that automatically turns the phone volume down. I know its just them accidentally holding the volume down button on their nokia 820 when they are on the phone....

Its so annoying because I love my WP8 phone and I'm sick listening to their crap and having to defend it constantly.

Anyone else experiencing this?

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Hehe my friends call me a w8ter. Cause I'm waiting on gdr2 update and a few official scraggling apps.
its all in good fun though. Some people just need to loosen up their drawers. I use all three so I guess I'm a
Dr8ep or you can just call me curtain :p

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I've been a loyal Windows Phone user now since the Lumia 900. Since then I've owned the Lumia 920, Lumia 720, HTC 8X, and now the Lumia 1020 and I love each one better than the last :) Fortunately I have a lot of lines on my account and I'm always stealing upgrades. Although I bought the 720 off eBay since it's not available in the US.

Anyway - my family and friends who saw me now ditching iPhones to go to Windows Phones wondered what was up and they asked me why. I told them and they seemed like they were interested in the phone and they all said "When my renewal is up, I'm getting one."

Well, I guess I shouldn't have said $h!t to them because now all they do is ***** to me about it.

Personally, I think the iPhone is lame/old/boring and Windows Phone is alive and refreshing. The biggest thing they always nag me about is that "so and so has this app, but of course I can't get it!" That's an exact quote I heard. I point out the alternatives 3rd-party apps but then they ***** and moan about how it's not free (like on iPhone). That's probably the one I hear the most.

The other one I always hear is that they keyboard isn't as good and they can't type on it - which I totally disagree with because I type faster and more accurate on my WP8 phone than I ever did on my iPhone. It just took some time to adapt.

Anyway, I don't know. It just annoys me. It's like someone telling me my kid is a retard or something when I know he's really a genius haha

Well, just tell them it was their choice because you're just one voice in millions of people switching to WP. WP works for you, it might not work for them.

The apps is a big thing really, but I point out to people, ok so they have that app, will you actually use it? Will you actually still be using it a month from now? Get apps you use, not just because people have it. I understand the want for certain apps, but I feel like these days people are just downloading apps because so and so has it, not because they actually are going to use the apps.

In regards to the keyboard, the reason why its harder for them? The screen is just that much wider than the iPhone (for most of the WP8 devices anyways). They aren't used to how wide it is. I complain all the time when I have to type on an iOS device because its so cramped (Android is another story), but I realized that's because I came from a Lumia 900 which is wider than the iPhone. People who haven't really used a smartphone, from my experience, applaud the WP8 keyboard, especially the nice sound it makes.

It is frustrating, it's as you described, being called something when you really know you aren't, and you're backed by some millions of people.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
To each their own. What phone gives Xbox Music, Xbox games, Microsoft Office, seamless Outlook sync and beautiful UI? Those who keep moaning about apps have done so since last three years. I've always found it pointless as apps ain't the reason I chose WP or any other phone for that matter.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Recommending Windows Phone isn't much of a problem here in Sweden and Finland as all know about Windows Phone or have tested it. That also means most of the time that they have made their mind already.

Recommending phones is complicated. I would not recommend Windows Phone to somebody who maybe doesn't know all that much about phones in general, but uses his Android or iOS phones apps and feature set quite heavily. Though Windows phone has gone down nicely to those people who just look for simple smartphone. Thing i find a bit troublesome with WP still is that I'm not seeing young people still using them.

It's part of Windows Phone weakness at not being up to Android and iOS in features and apps, part of people expecting the exact same way of doing things from the new OS.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If they say there is a lack of apps,

Give 'em 6gram(?) Facebook, twitter alternatives, and the hardcore 3d games (Modern Combat 4, NOVA 3 and Halo Spartan Assault.)
Oh yeah, don't forget Jetpack Joyride, Fruit Ninja and those 165,000 apps that definitely shows the "lack" of apps. Fill up the phone! :)

cwbcpa71

May 13, 2013
Visit site
If they say there is a lack of apps,

Give 'em 6gram(?) Facebook, twitter alternatives, and the hardcore 3d games (Modern Combat 4, NOVA 3 and Halo Spartan Assault.)
Oh yeah, don't forget Jetpack Joyride, Fruit Ninja and those 165,000 apps that definitely shows the "lack" of apps. Fill up the phone! :)

I just starting using WP this last Monday. I have been wanting to try the OS out for a while, but had been talked out of it because of the "lack of apps". I use all types of apps from social media, to productivity to specific work related apps. I have not had one issue with finding what I need. The apps may or may not be the same app that is on iOS or Android, but they get the same job done and in many cases are more smooth and better looking. I don't play many games, but there is no lack of those on WP either.

Bottom line is that the "lack of apps" excuse just doesn't hold a lot of water with me. Like I said, I used to think that was the case. It's not.

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same thing happen to me. My parents know that I'm in the Microsoft ecosystem, and I recommended the Lumia 928 since Verizon was finally getting a decent Windows Phone. They both got it, and overall they like it alright but my dad has mentioned several times how it's 'not a home run'. He's a big Craigslist user, and he complains that none of the available apps for Craigslist are as good as the official version for the iPhone. Likewise, my mom was disappointed that she couldn't use imessage anymore with my brother who has an iPhone, although she can use LINE now and is reasonably satisfied. I think a big thing too is just the fact that navigation in WP is quite a bit different in operation than the iPhone, using a back button. It's frustrating because honestly a lot of the potential of the MS ecosystem is just that, potential. That's why I have a Surface, Windows 8 desktop, and a Lumina 920, but it's still a ways off from being a super compelling total package.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, I've had WP since they came out and it's far from a home run. The phone has serious limitations. I tell people not to buy one.

bigtoe88

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, I do not recommend WP8 to my friends. I really like my phone and the potential, and I am ok dealing with shortfalls to have something that I believe in. But, I know my friends won't be, and I am starting to lose my patients as well. WP8 has been out 10 months now. I expected many more improvements in that time. For everything I like about WP8, I still come across too many things that make me frustrated that I can't do on my phone in 2013 when I know other phones can. Why am I choosing to have a phone that can't do everything that I want it to do when I know that there are phones out there that can?

For me, the current deal breaker is no official MLB app. Every day I don't have it I get a little more fed up with WP8. If I got an offer to trade for a SG4 right now, I would do it in a heartbeat.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I will recommend any of the OSs. I currently use WP8, but I have them all. I don't see myself going to another platform either.

When people ask me what they should get, I respond with questions... My name is on the recommendations, so I make sure I give only what I believe will work for them... People know what the want to do, but don't know what they want.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon